Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Schedule for Autopilot features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a good description from Tesla itself of Autopilot:
Dual Motor Model S and Autopilot | Blog | Tesla Motors

Lane change is initiated by the driver (tapping the turn signal) and not automatically by the car. This eliminates the need for long distance rear sensors. The driver will still need to check the rear view mirrors for oncoming high speed traffic before initiating a lane change... much safer (and easier technically).

Agree. I think people misinterpreted what is being offered. Tesla never said the car would decide when to change lanes or whether it was safe to change lanes (though BSI will let you know when it's definitely not safe to change lanes). It just provides a mechanism for changing lanes during autopilot mode (which is basically adaptive cruise control and lane keeping) without having to put your hands back on the steering wheel. The driver is still the one making the decisions of when and if it's safe.

Well, they need to get their butts in gear and get on this! :D

At least half of the people I've showed the P85D to have asked, "Wait, is this the one they showed that will drive itself?" and everyone seems confused with me saying "Yes, but not yet." Then I have to explain the whole software update thing.

After which my brother actually laughed and said, "You've been had. It'll take years probably."

Hopefully I can prove him wrong.

Given that most of the features have been demonstrated (albeit in a somewhat controlled environment) live on camera for third parties, and that other manufacturers are shipping or about to ship similar stuff, I see no particular reason to be pessimistic about the schedule. I wouldn't be surprised if it slips a few months beyond what they originally said, but I'm sure it won't be years.

Here we go,

Taken from the 6.1 thread, haven't got it yet.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420735341.295500.jpg

Acc reacted well to deceleration needed. Collision assist mutes radio so you pay attention. Very Happy.

Wish it displayed speed your setting cruise at vs the little triangle tick. Hard to tell 75 from 74 or 73 etc. Should show set number for a second.

The speed up to pass feature only works on the left signal. Does not speed up to overtake on the right.

Trip Computer is nice.

Nav on instrument panel seems to redraw itself alot more. Not good.

Just curious, is there anyone out there with a car that has the new hardware but doesn't have the tech package? I'm curious because the autopilot "convenience features" were only supposed to come with the tech package. Curious as to if this update adheres to that with TACC.

- - - Updated - - -

Why all the excitement about features like "Traffic aware cruise control"? Surely what's really important is that there's now shuffle/repeat in the media player.

Actually, I kind of am more excited about the shuffle... lol.

Compared to my 30k miles with mb distronic plus.... This acc is better. It did not shut off when making a left turn. The mb would get confused and turn dist plus off. But that was a 2011. The 2014 mb distronic plus was upgraded.

When lane tracking and active steering assist with blind spot graphics and the video game display come in an update it will be freaking awesome.

The parking sensors are much better. You see all 5 front ones separate when parking in a garage. 3 front and one each side. And they go to 12" before saying stop now.

Car is much better than when purchased 1 mos ago!

Thanks Elon.

Acc reacted well to deceleration needed. Collision assist mutes radio so you pay attention. Very Happy.

Wish it displayed speed your setting cruise at vs the little triangle tick. Hard to tell 75 from 74 or 73 etc. Should show set number for a second.

The speed up to pass feature only works on the left signal. Does not speed up to overtake on the right.

Trip Computer is nice.

Nav on instrument panel seems to redraw itself alot more. Not good.

How did you test collision warning? I did some pretty dangerous driving and could never get it to do anything. My setting is configured to alert early if that makes much difference.

1. Drive at 45+ mph and get behind a car stopped at a red-light. (not smart) .

2. Change lanes last minute to be behind a car going way slower than you. (safer)

Have your foot ready on the brake to override if the car doesn't stop in time on its own.

My bets, based largely on the assumption that they're going to roll out the things that help them on the safety ratings as quickly as possible:

Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning: Now
ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control): December or January (very shortly after first D's start being delivered, I just can't see them delivering cars with hardware switches that do nothing for long)
Lane Holding (as demo'd yesterday): Q4 2015 (this goes beyond what the safety ratings want)
Auto Lane Change (as demo'd yesterday): Q4 2015 (this is really out there, may never make it to the car)
Blind-spot Warning: December of January (same software upgrade as ACC)
Collision Detect/Emergency Braking: December or January (same software upgrade as ACC)
Cross-Traffic Alert: duplicate this is blind-spot detection by another name.
Traffic-signal/Stop-sign Detection: End of 2015 (again way beyond what anyone else has, no hurry)
Self park: Q4 2015 (same update as lane holding/lane change)

So basically I see two updates.

One later this year or early next with ACC, Blind-spot warning, Collision detect/emergency braking.
One late next year with the other stuff.

Other than blind spot/cross traffic detection I believe so far i'm pretty close. Maybe blind spot/cross traffic stuff comes out in release somewhere around Q2/Q3 2015? I don't see that bundled with a lot of fancier stuff in the original list.

A lot of my predictions were based on them trying to push out stuff for safety ratings, but based on what we now know the stuff they shipped with cars that had Autopilot hardware was enough to get them the 5 stars for Europe. So that I'm guessing that this stuff will be worked on but may not make it until just in time to fit in crash tests for the 2016 model year (when presumably standards will have been raised and what they have won't be enough to maintain 5 stars).