Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Schedule for Autopilot features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@andrewket that is a very important aspect that many are missing here. Different systems and to my knowledge actually different companies developing these two feature sets. Drive controls are done inhouse and the rest has been outsourced. To me it looks like Tesla should look into insourcing this. I cannot really see the reasoning for the infotainment-system not being considered core business at Tesla. That is at least normally the cause for outsourcing such a service.
It is a well known that Tesla Motors designed infotainment hardware inhouse(link).

Last edited:
@andrewket that is a very important aspect that many are missing here. Different systems and to my knowledge actually different companies developing these two feature sets. Drive controls are done inhouse and the rest has been outsourced. To me it looks like Tesla should look into insourcing this. I cannot really see the reasoning for the infotainment-system not being considered core business at Tesla. That is at least normally the cause for outsourcing such a service.

In a recent interview at 25:40, Elon stated quite clearly that the autopilot sensor hardware came from Bosch (ultrasound, radar) and Mobileye (camera chip) but all of the software was done by Tesla. They most definitely in-sourced this.

Last edited:
@EarlyAdopter that was actually my original point. The core software, of course including autopilot etc, is done inhouse.

but I thought the completely separated infotainment software like music, navigation etc was outsourced. Seems like I was clearly mistaken there.

so nothing to see here, move along:redface:

It says something, doesn't it, that a person would "trade up" from an S550 (which itself is such a great car) to a Tesla (startup car company). Kudos to Tesla!

I think its a huge matter of preference.

I love the seats, and interior creature comforts of the S550, like the Hot Stone Massage, Vented Seats, and the Exclusive Nappa Leathers,

However the Infotainment leaves a lot to be desired.

Also the Transmission searching for gears, is just something I don't expect in 2014. BTW, I've ordered my P85D.

I'm really hoping for just adaptive cruise control by when I get mine delivered or very shortly after (Late December). The ACC is all I really care for, the rest is all cool, definitely, but not critical.

Lane departure warning should be a "no brainer", it's on several cars currently;
ACC is also currently available.... don't understand the delay, if not already available;
Self Parallel parking, with driver present, is currently available with similar software on the Mercedes E Series and the ML Series SUV...

So that may indicate the integration into Tesla's software and drive-by-wire systems is the issue. Given the "splash" at the announcement, I would think Tesla would implement all the features that are legally permitted quickly.

More testing should be done with features related to moving the car - such as lane changing, cruise control, parking, ...

Glitches present in the infotainment system are inconvenient. A glitch in the software moving the car could be serious.

So it shouldn't be surprising to see the release schedule stretch out for the new autopilot features...

Two features I am most hopeful are coming soon would be:
- Blind Spot Warning
- Self-Park (parallel)

Blind spot warning on the freeway would just be so nice and something that would come in useful all the time.

I just got this car on Friday, it's much bigger than my old Mazda 3... so a parallel parking feature would be extremely welcome as I'm still getting used to the size & dimensions. But probably, by the time they come around with that, I'll have already adapted to the size.

I don't think Tesla has made any promises about parallel self parking, have they?

Two features I am most hopeful are coming soon would be:
- Blind Spot Warning
- Self-Park (parallel)

Blind spot warning on the freeway would just be so nice and something that would come in useful all the time.

I just got this car on Friday, it's much bigger than my old Mazda 3... so a parallel parking feature would be extremely welcome as I'm still getting used to the size & dimensions. But probably, by the time they come around with that, I'll have already adapted to the size.