Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Porsche Announces BEV Concept Car - "Mission E"

I am glad Porsche has committed to build a long range EV sports car that will -- supposedly -- be available to buy in 2020, 12 years after the Tesla Roadster went on sale.
And before 2020 Tesla will probably launch the next Roadster, which I predict will be significantly cheaper than the Porsche Mission E and will be able to use the by then ubiquitous Supercharger network. I doubt Porsche will have a comparable fast charging network in place anywhere outside of Germany. In Germany, they will want the German government to build it for them and the government will do a poor job of it.

Tesla has been a bit arrogant as late knowing they are the only game in town. Great to hear Porsche is jumping into the BEV market giving Tesla the run for their money.

The Porsche BEV concept is one beautiful car, and knowing Porsche, the interior will be top notch craftsmanship. Can't wait to see the production version.

The first Porsche was a 100% electrically powered Porsche. They are finally getting back to their roots and it's amazing to see.

Yes - the 1900 Lohner-Porsche. Believe it or not, it even had a switch for regenerating power when going down hills. Almost 4000 lbs of batteries...

I've read that Porsche has modeled the Mission E to lap the Nurburgring in under 8 min. Isn't the best Tesla time so far just a little over 9 min? If Porsche can pull that off, they will have some decent bragging rights.

BTW, another contemporary auto manufacturer that can claim they made EVs 100+ years ago is GM. Their GMC truck division made electric delivery trucks back in the 1910s. It is even a more direct connection than Porsche can claim - as the current Porsche company was started by Ferry Porsche, Ferdinands son, in 1948ish.

The performance numbers don't look very impressive compared to the 2014 Model S P85D, never mind the 2015 Ludicrous and who knows how much better the Model S will be in five years. We will likely be into a completely new Model S by then, plus the Model 3 and next generation Maximum Plaid Raodster.

Agreed, and if Porsche builds an excellent long range EV it will start the company down the path towards full electrification and show Porsche fans that EVs are viable. My concern is that a "911 EV" will be an even more costly car than their 911 ICE and will be viewed as an exercise in technological virtuosity by the company (which certainly has the skill and knowledge to build such a vehicle) and not as a fundamentally better car.

I agree that it is a good thing as it will also push Tesla to realize that they are in the luxury space and they need to think about that when designing the interior which hasn't alias been as luxe as other cars in thee segment.

They seem to be getting that message recently with the Nextgen seats, ventilated seats in the MX, etc. The original MS seats were, IMHO, weak for a C$120k+ car.

I doubt Porsche will have a comparable fast charging network in place anywhere outside of Germany. In Germany, they will want the German government to build it for them and the government will do a poor job of it.

Don't discount the German car makers ability to influence EU regulations and law. It only takes a few little words added in the right place to make the Tesla Superchargers illegal. They tried desperately to do that with CHAdeMO.

With no real competition, it won't matter how good or bad it is.

In addition, I highly doubt that this new 150kW charger will be compatible with anything else, regardless of what name they use.

Weekly Recap: Porsche embarks on Mission E

mission E green lit for production. Coming in 2020. Will need to be amazing to complete with 2nd gen model S.

I think this Porsche is still more a sports car, it won't directly compete with the Model S. Maybe a future Panamera in EV or longer-range PHEV configurations will.

I think future rumored offerings from BMW (i5?) or future Daimler EVs will more directly compete with the S. Audi (and VW) will also introduce larger EV sedans.