Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Will Porsche Mission E be the right vehicle for me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopping that the Mission E will be the answ
They better join Tesla supercharger network, otherwise it won't work for lots of people who need to make longer drives in their car. I think Tesla will get the handling dialed in (as they seem to have done with Model 3) before Porsche solves the issues of battery technology: charging, cooling, longevity etc.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Think the Mission E will be a spectacular EV with classic Porsche handling, however I also believe it will be priced much higher than the Tesla.

In addition to typical Porsche pricing, you need to add in thousands of additional dollars in additional dealer markup if the car is at all good.

Also, the Mission E should not be compared to a 7 seater Model S. It is sized more like a Model 3 and believe it only seats 4.

This makes it difficult to compare to the Model S, which is more of a high performance family sedan.

Put some Supercar tires on the Model 3 and I bet it is closer in handling to the Mission X than Porsche would like.

Lack of long distance charging will probably kill the Mission X for 80% of the buyers.

If you compare the Mission X to the upcoming Tesla New Roadster I imagine the Roadster will out perform.

Reactions: bhzmark
The only think I like about Tesla is that its an EV, everything else, Porsche is better.

In essence the upcoming Porsche EV is a race track toy. Model S and 3 are family sedans that doubles up as people carrier, grocery getter, that can do long distance family trips with an incredible sports car characteristics. The comparison is moot.

[gowthamn - will you please not disappoint me, and make sure you hit the disagree button?]

Last edited by a moderator:
In essence the upcoming Porsche EV is a race track toy. Model S and 3 are family sedans that doubles up as people carrier, grocery getter, that can do long distance family trips with an incredible sports car characteristics. The comparison is moot.

[gowthamn - will you please not disappoint me, and make sure you hit the disagree button?]

I rented the Model S for 3 days. It has no sports car characteristics. It has instant torque though.

• Funny
Reactions: Swift and bhzmark
Porsche has confirmed the based price, however, it is common to more than double the base with options... everything is A-la-carte :cool:
The price is not really surprising since Porsche has made it clear that they are going after the Tesla Model S with this new vehicle.

The German automaker’s CEO recently admitted that Tesla is stealing away some customers and Mission E test mules were spotted being benchmarked against Tesla vehicles. We expected the vehicle to start around the same price as the Model S or a little higher with options pushing pricing to around $140,000-$150,000, like the Model S P100D.
They said that it might start around $84k six months ago. Considering that it won’t be out for at least another year, I stand by my 100k assessment.

Where did you see that it would be 100k?
Read my post. I never said that I read it anywhere, I said that I don't think it will be less than $100k. Considering that the plug in Panamera starts in the mid $90k range, the only way that the Mission E will be less is if it's considerably smaller than the Panamera or the Model S or the base car has a much smaller battery than the Model S.

Reactions: X Fan
Porsche is not a Volkswagen :) .
The only think I like about Tesla is that its an EV, everything else, Porsche is better.

Porsche IS VW

After owning about 10 Porsches and now a 2017 Tesla S I couldn't disagree more :)

I still have a 911 GT3 in my garage though, but that is a car for a different purpose.

Only people who haven't owned a Tesla and tested in day to day driving can come up with statements like this. I assume you never owned a Tesla S?

Having said all that, I'm looking forward to take the Mission-E for a spin here in Europe in 2 years or so when the car will be available. I'm not so sure though that I will prefer it over the next gen Tesla S ;). Time will tell!

Drove the new Panamera E-hybrid just recently. Utterly disappointing. Feels like a pre-historic thing to be honest and the handling wasn't very amusing either.

I don't know why you would just get one or the other. I would just buy a Model S now, or after refresh, and in a few years get the Mission E. You can't get the Mission E for at least 2 more years. Then availability will probably be low and dealers will mark up the price.

I'm sure it will be fantastic to drive, but there will be no Porsche supercharging network so you probably won't take it far. Tesla has a 6 year head start building the network and I doubt other large manufacturers would spend the money to put in stations at a similar or faster pace. Mission E will probably rely on 3rd party stations and that will be another hassle to deal with.

Reactions: evster and strider
I don't know why you would just get one or the other. I would just buy a Model S now, or after refresh, and in a few years get the Mission E. You can't get the Mission E for at least 2 more years. Then availability will probably be low and dealers will mark up the price.

I'm sure it will be fantastic to drive, but there will be no Porsche supercharging network so you probably won't take it far. Tesla has a 6 year head start building the network and I doubt other large manufacturers would spend the money to put in stations at a similar or faster pace. Mission E will probably rely on 3rd party stations and that will be another hassle to deal with.
+1 There is NO WAY Porsche will have a decent SC network in a year or two. The Mission E is a compliance car for them. They are ONLY doing it because they can see the writing on the wall that the EU will make them move to electrics. They are not as vocal as the Italians (see thread about Ferrari CEO) but they hate the idea of electrification as it renders 80% of their knowledge and technology worthless.

Their SC network will consist solely of fast chargers at Porsche stations and the existing public chademo network, exactly as Nissan did.

To the OP, if you only need to drive around town the Mission E will be a fine car for you. If you plan to drive outside of a major city the Mission E will not work for you.

Finally, it's easy to show concept car mock-ups and slides about performance and range, it's quite another to actually build it. Let's see what the actual performance and cost of the Mission E ends up being.

If you are serious about the Mission E, you should make a reservation now. I was 16th on the dealer's waiting list - I do not think they will get more than 5-10 the first year (which is 2020 for US). By that time, there should be a refreshed model S well into production. I will consider both.

If you are serious about the Mission E, you should make a reservation now. I was 16th on the dealer's waiting list - I do not think they will get more than 5-10 the first year (which is 2020 for US). By that time, there should be a refreshed model S well into production. I will consider both.

I already reserved. Was late. I am 15th at my dealer. Hopefully not everyone above me buys it.
If tesla Model S, has good interiors and some sport driving features like low suspensions, anti roll bars, then I would consider that too.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Porsche IS VW

After owning about 10 Porsches and now a 2017 Tesla S I couldn't disagree more :)

I still have a 911 GT3 in my garage though, but that is a car for a different purpose.

Only people who haven't owned a Tesla and tested in day to day driving can come up with statements like this. I assume you never owned a Tesla S?

Having said all that, I'm looking forward to take the Mission-E for a spin here in Europe in 2 years or so when the car will be available. I'm not so sure though that I will prefer it over the next gen Tesla S ;). Time will tell!

Drove the new Panamera E-hybrid just recently. Utterly disappointing. Feels like a pre-historic thing to be honest and the handling wasn't very amusing either.

@evster If there is a next gen Tesla S with better interiors, I will consider that too. I have rented a Model S for multiple trips. Have not owned one.