Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Y to Audi e-tron: a Comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had plenty of issues with my Teslas and I think they are excellent cars, but I don't drink the Tesla koolaide. If you think Tesla has your back you might want to look up the S/X platform issues. Failing aft links, poorly designed front end geometry resulting in constant half shaft replacements, uncorrectable rear toe....to name a few.
LOL- “with my Teslas”.
Seems you are making quite the effort on here to bash the cars and brand. Pics of “your Teslas” and having to remove the fender liners, or it didn’t happen…

• Disagree
Reactions: sleepydoc
LOL- “with my Teslas”.
Seems you are making quite the effort on here to bash the cars and brand. Pics of “your Teslas” and having to remove the fender liners, or it didn’t happen…

We've owned an X, we currently have a 3 and Y. I have plenty of threads, photos, and videos capturing my experiences with them. I think Tesla makes a great DD, but I'm also transparent about what I don't like.

We're a retired couple who decided to consolidate from two cars to one EV. Since my wife didn't like the lack of physical controls and minimalism of my 2020 Model Y, we're trying a 2024 Audi Q4 e-tron - the all-wheel drive version - instead. We don't road trip much and do 99 percent of our charging at home. A little apples to oranges here, but since I like both cars I'll try to note advantages of each.

My 2020 blue Y with a hitch cost almost exactly the same as my 2024 blue e-tron with a hitch, but Tesla price slashing since 2020 makes today's Y a real bargain, especially given its eligibility for the tax credit. The Y is slightly larger, has more storage, greater range, better efficiency, all those cameras, the charging network, and true one-pedal driving. Its autopilot has flaws but is still better than Audi's. It remains a no-brainer of a buy.

Ah, but the Audi has advantages as well. It's rock solid, with far better fit and finish, a more luxurious interior, and is far quieter and rides far smoother. Better paint, no rattles. The doors thunk, and do a better job keeping dirt off the sills. I also prefer the looks, though that's a matter of taste. Other nice changes:
- Real door handles, inside and out.
- Better mirrors and rear visibility.
- Radar and parking sensors. Better blind spot monitoring and cross rear traffic warning.
- A sun roof that opens and can be covered by a power shade.
- Physical controls for climate, wipers, cruise control, rear hatch, hood release, and glove box.
- Better nighttime interior lighting, with every control well-lit. Fancy puddle lights at night when exiting.
- A digital instrument cluster that can display a lot of varied information, plus a big infotainment screen next to it.
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto that works well, not dropping like Tesla Apple music did.
- Sirius XM, though you have to subscribe after the three-month trial.
- Seemingly better speakers (Sonos) or maybe music just sounds better because the car is quieter.
- Auto wipers and auto high beams that actually work.
- Screen and software combo that I prefer to the Tesla menus. I felt Tesla wasted a lot of its big screen real estate. Another matter of taste.
- Larger fonts on the screens. Important to aging eyes!
- Tesla has a better phone app, but the Audi one is fine. It actually connects faster than the Tesla one did.
- The Audi has keyless entry, locking, and starting, but I like having a key fob again. (But now I have to remember to physically lock the car, either by touching the door handle or using the fob!)
- No Elon Musk, Elon time, and vaporous Elon promises.

The Tesla is futuristic and clever, the Audi deliberately more traditional for us geezers or those coming from ICE cars. The Audi has a different EV philosophy, coasting far further and using blended braking for its regeneration and efficiency. It does have a drive mode close to one-pedal driving but this doesn't bring the car do a complete halt - it creeps - so if choosing this I still have to use the brake at a stop sign! (If you press hard on the brake after stopping it does hold the car without needing to keep your foot there.) Because of this I don't use the inferior Audi one-pedal option, instead letting the car computer do the efficiency calculations in normal drive mode. (For extra regeneration, better to use are the Audi paddle shifters to control battery regeneration and coasting speed on hills, similar to downshifting in a gas car.) The Audi system works well, overall, with Audi seeming to underestimate range while Tesla overestimates. But the driving feel is VERY different. (My wife prefers the Audi.)

I'd prefer the nimbler Tesla on a curvy road and the quiet, smooth, heavier Audi for highway driving. Only time will tell on issues such as reliability, long-term efficiency, and depreciation. (Tesla price cuts, incidentally, really lowered the trade-in value of my Y.)

Both are good cars, and the great news is that there is much more EV choice and refinement than in 2020. We were impressed looking at other brands as well. Tesla has pioneered a path leading to lot of good innovations and choice across many makes and models.

View attachment 1025011
"Audi Logo Focus" by Michael Moran-Diaz is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
Thanks for this info. My wife and I are retired as well. I've been driving a Model 3 since Dec 2021 and have to confess I'm a bit of a Tesla fanboy. We just replaced my wife's 2021 Acura RDX with a 2024 Model Y and I love it. She is still getting over her "emotional" attachment to the Acura. But I think she will be OK once she gets used to it. Meanwhile, we are considering going to one car once the lease is up on my Model 3, so your post helps contribute to our knowledge of other (non-Tesla) options for the future. By the way, as a side note--and not to get into a pro/con discussion of leasing vs buying... Both of our Tesla's are leased (as have been all our cars since 1988) and leasing does away with any potential concern about resale value. I find the unpredictability and volatility of Tesla pricing to be another reason to lease. Just a thought. :)

Yes. And in that context, the statement made sense.
I mean, yes, if the first thing he said that was outrageously ridiculous wasn't outrageously ridiculous, then the second thing he said that was outrageously ridiculous wouldn't have been, as it was predicated on the first.

In other news I plan on hitting a 2000 lb personal best in bench press this year, and a 3000 lb squat. I will be entering the next US olympics in powerlifting and win.

Reactions: Noflash
I mean, yes, if the first thing he said that was outrageously ridiculous wasn't outrageously ridiculous, then the second thing he said that was outrageously ridiculous wouldn't have been, as it was predicated on the first.

In other news I plan on hitting a 2000 lb personal best in bench press this year, and a 3000 lb squat. I will be entering the next US olympics in powerlifting and win.
He believes that robotaxi is possible. People can disagree with that possibility.

Reactions: laservet
He believes that robotaxi is possible. People can disagree with that possibility.
Don't let him off the hook for being wrong. This is not a philosophical difference; he was wrong.

He said in 2019 there would be a one million robotaxi fleet in 2020. Outrageously ridiculous (nobody at the time believed this). he also said in 2019 that “Buying a car today is an investment into the future. I think the most profound thing is that if you buy a Tesla today, I believe you are buying an appreciating asset, not a depreciating asset.”. Also outrageously ridiculous.

Don't let him off the hook for being wrong. This is not a philosophical difference; he was wrong.

He said in 2019 there would be a one million robotaxi fleet in 2020. Outrageously ridiculous (nobody at the time believed this). he also said in 2019 that “Buying a car today is an investment into the future. I think the most profound thing is that if you buy a Tesla today, I believe you are buying an appreciating asset, not a depreciating asset.”. Also outrageously ridiculous.
I never said he was right.

You know how parents are, can't reason with em 😂 but, regardless what they choose I say more power to them. They are putting their money where their mouth is, where most people are just complaining.
Putting money where one’s mouth is, or cutting off one’s nose to spite one’s face? My 82 year old father also makes certain decisions with such kinds of uncharacteristically emotional “logic.” I don’t give credit or cast aspersions because we still have the freedom to spend money however we see fit, with no explanation necessary. In fact, I’d rather not hear the explanation since it’s much too difficult to not judge. And “my political team tells me I shouldn’t like the guy who makes my car,” as an explanation, is much too easy to get judgey about.

I’m looking forward to hearing the unsolicited political commentary the first time we show up in a new MY.

I had an interesting and at least part-related conversation with a friend this past weekend. He has just bought a new Audi RS3, which is a fantastic car. But as I turned up in my MYP, the conversation quickly came around to why he didn’t choose to go electric (which I have no issue with btw, each to their own).

My interest was more around his perception of EV and more specifically Tesla:
  1. ‘Why can’t I use my mobile phone in the car yet Tesla drivers are allowed to spend the journey fiddling around on that big tablet?’
    • I pointed out that I don’t do much (if any) fiddling around with the tablet. The wipers, lights, etc are all automated. I’m on EAP. The Sat Nav and MMI is significantly better than the Audi equivalent. I never change the AC/Heating as the 19C suits us in all conditions. The car chooses all my settings against my profile. Simples
    • And even if I did have to change any of the above, I can do it via voice control and/or a simple change on the screen. If I did want to change the temp for example, is it any more or less complicated than it is for him in his Audi?
  2. ‘Long journeys are a pain what with having to stop and charge all the time’
    • I’ve just come back from a long journey. 400 miles each way. One stop en-route at a SC where I actually had to slide the charge limit up to 95% just so we had enough time to finish our lunch. Literally added no time to our journey. In fact I was able to slide the car straight into a nice Tesla marked parking spot and walk away. As opposed to finding a much tighter space in the very busy Service Station car park
  3. ‘The RS3 is sooooo fast’
    • It sure is. A couple of tenths quicker than my family sized SUV 😊
  4. ‘The RS3 sounds amazing’
    • It does indeed. That’s one thing an EV will never be able to compete with!
Let me be clear. I love Audi, and have always dreamed I would one day own an RS (RS4 probably). But that ship has sailed. Equally and as I said above, each to their own. It’s just those ‘opinions’ which seem to be based on very little evidence or education. It’s like listening to a Trump speech – lots of noise and opinion but nothing in the way of fact or evidence 😊

I had an interesting and at least part-related conversation with a friend this past weekend. He has just bought a new Audi RS3, which is a fantastic car. But as I turned up in my MYP, the conversation quickly came around to why he didn’t choose to go electric (which I have no issue with btw, each to their own).

My interest was more around his perception of EV and more specifically Tesla:
  1. ‘Why can’t I use my mobile phone in the car yet Tesla drivers are allowed to spend the journey fiddling around on that big tablet?’
    • I pointed out that I don’t do much (if any) fiddling around with the tablet. The wipers, lights, etc are all automated. I’m on EAP. The Sat Nav and MMI is significantly better than the Audi equivalent. I never change the AC/Heating as the 19C suits us in all conditions. The car chooses all my settings against my profile. Simples
    • And even if I did have to change any of the above, I can do it via voice control and/or a simple change on the screen. If I did want to change the temp for example, is it any more or less complicated than it is for him in his Audi?
  2. ‘Long journeys are a pain what with having to stop and charge all the time’
    • I’ve just come back from a long journey. 400 miles each way. One stop en-route at a SC where I actually had to slide the charge limit up to 95% just so we had enough time to finish our lunch. Literally added no time to our journey. In fact I was able to slide the car straight into a nice Tesla marked parking spot and walk away. As opposed to finding a much tighter space in the very busy Service Station car park
  3. ‘The RS3 is sooooo fast’
    • It sure is. A couple of tenths quicker than my family sized SUV 😊
  4. ‘The RS3 sounds amazing’
    • It does indeed. That’s one thing an EV will never be able to compete with!
Let me be clear. I love Audi, and have always dreamed I would one day own an RS (RS4 probably). But that ship has sailed. Equally and as I said above, each to their own. It’s just those ‘opinions’ which seem to be based on very little evidence or education. It’s like listening to a Trump speech – lots of noise and opinion but nothing in the way of fact or evidence 😊
Audi was kind of our dream car for a while. I still might get one, but a gas powered one has likely also sailed for me. TBH I'd look at Volvo as I enjoyed my last two and they are taking electrification fairly seriously.

As for your friend, it continues to disappoint me that people are so incredibly biased against these as well as defensive. Going back 20 years it's been impossible to tell some people you bought a hybrid without them instinctively and desperately feeling the need to opine on it in some negative way. It's a very strange coping mechanism.

If somebody tells me EVs suck on a long trip I agree with them. I do think they suck relatively speaking. But in so many (most other) ways they are better. Nothing is perfect. 20 mpg also sucks. Getting an oil change every several months sucks. Pressing the gas pedal and waiting a moment for the car to respond sucks, etc.

Reactions: MidBaz and laservet

FWIW, robotaxis are currently operating in about 20 cities worldwide; Waymo just received permission for robotaxi service in Los Angeles. It's a bit later than Musk predicted, but it turned out to be a lot more difficult than everyone originally thought.

And for the record, he wasn't the only one who thought they could have autonomous robotaxis running by 2020. GM, Ford, even Nissan said they would have them by 2020. So everyone was wrong, and they were all wrong because it turned out to be much more difficult to accomplish than anyone anticipated. But it is happening now.

Being 4 years late in bringing it to market, especially since COVID hit in 2020, isn't a big deal in the long run. Musk could have done what Waymo did and he would have had it 2-3 years ago, but it would have all the drawbacks of a system that only operates in precisely geomapped areas.

Last edited:
FWIW, robotaxis are currently operating in about 20 cities worldwide; Waymo just received permission for robotaxi service in Los Angeles. It's a bit later than Musk predicted, but it turned out to be a lot more difficult than everyone originally thought.

And for the record, he wasn't the only one who thought they could have autonomous robotaxis running by 2020. GM, Ford, even Nissan said they would have them by 2020. So everyone was wrong, and they were all wrong because it turned out to be much more difficult to accomplish than anyone anticipated. But it is happening now.

Being 4 years late in bringing it to market, especially since COVID hit in 2020, isn't a big deal in the long run. Musk could have done what Waymo did and he would have had it 2-3 years ago, but it would have all the drawbacks of a system that only operates in precisely geomapped areas.
Also, putting tens of thousands dollar worth of equipment on top of each car roof and operate them is not for profit for sure.

Reactions: laservet