Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Y to Audi e-tron: a Comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're a retired couple who decided to consolidate from two cars to one EV. Since my wife didn't like the lack of physical controls and minimalism of my 2020 Model Y, we're trying a 2024 Audi Q4 e-tron - the all-wheel drive version - instead. We don't road trip much and do 99 percent of our charging at home. A little apples to oranges here, but since I like both cars I'll try to note advantages of each.

My 2020 blue Y with a hitch cost almost exactly the same as my 2024 blue e-tron with a hitch, but Tesla price slashing since 2020 makes today's Y a real bargain, especially given its eligibility for the tax credit. The Y is slightly larger, has more storage, greater range, better efficiency, all those cameras, the charging network, and true one-pedal driving. Its autopilot has flaws but is still better than Audi's. It remains a no-brainer of a buy.

Ah, but the Audi has advantages as well. It's rock solid, with far better fit and finish, a more luxurious interior, and is far quieter and rides far smoother. Better paint, no rattles. The doors thunk, and do a better job keeping dirt off the sills. I also prefer the looks, though that's a matter of taste. Other nice changes:
- Real door handles, inside and out.
- Better mirrors and rear visibility.
- Radar and parking sensors. Better blind spot monitoring and cross rear traffic warning.
- A sun roof that opens and can be covered by a power shade.
- Physical controls for climate, wipers, cruise control, rear hatch, hood release, and glove box.
- Better nighttime interior lighting, with every control well-lit. Fancy puddle lights at night when exiting.
- A digital instrument cluster that can display a lot of varied information, plus a big infotainment screen next to it.
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto that works well, not dropping like Tesla Apple music did.
- Sirius XM, though you have to subscribe after the three-month trial.
- Seemingly better speakers (Sonos) or maybe music just sounds better because the car is quieter.
- Auto wipers and auto high beams that actually work.
- Screen and software combo that I prefer to the Tesla menus. I felt Tesla wasted a lot of its big screen real estate. Another matter of taste.
- Larger fonts on the screens. Important to aging eyes!
- Tesla has a better phone app, but the Audi one is fine. It actually connects faster than the Tesla one did.
- The Audi has keyless entry, locking, and starting, but I like having a key fob again. (But now I have to remember to physically lock the car, either by touching the door handle or using the fob!)
- No Elon Musk, Elon time, and vaporous Elon promises.

The Tesla is futuristic and clever, the Audi deliberately more traditional for us geezers or those coming from ICE cars. The Audi has a different EV philosophy, coasting far further and using blended braking for its regeneration and efficiency. It does have a drive mode close to one-pedal driving but this doesn't bring the car do a complete halt - it creeps - so if choosing this I still have to use the brake at a stop sign! (If you press hard on the brake after stopping it does hold the car without needing to keep your foot there.) Because of this I don't use the inferior Audi one-pedal option, instead letting the car computer do the efficiency calculations in normal drive mode. (For extra regeneration, better to use are the Audi paddle shifters to control battery regeneration and coasting speed on hills, similar to downshifting in a gas car.) The Audi system works well, overall, with Audi seeming to underestimate range while Tesla overestimates. But the driving feel is VERY different. (My wife prefers the Audi.)

I'd prefer the nimbler Tesla on a curvy road and the quiet, smooth, heavier Audi for highway driving. Only time will tell on issues such as reliability, long-term efficiency, and depreciation. (Tesla price cuts, incidentally, really lowered the trade-in value of my Y.)

Both are good cars, and the great news is that there is much more EV choice and refinement than in 2020. We were impressed looking at other brands as well. Tesla has pioneered a path leading to lot of good innovations and choice across many makes and models.

5121277812_8178db8a28_b.jpg

"Audi Logo Focus" by Michael Moran-Diaz is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Fidalgo,
Enjoyed your review. I looked at the Audi E Tron and was concerned about the range. I believe it was a 2020 model and the range was about 200 miles, but drove well and it was a very nice vehicle. I bought a used 2021 MY LR in February 2022. Best Wishes.

We're a retired couple who decided to consolidate from two cars to one EV. Since my wife didn't like the lack of physical controls and minimalism of my 2020 Model Y, we're trying a 2024 Audi Q4 e-tron - the all-wheel drive version - instead. We don't road trip much and do 99 percent of our charging at home. A little apples to oranges here, but since I like both cars I'll try to note advantages of each.

My 2020 blue Y with a hitch cost almost exactly the same as my 2024 blue e-tron with a hitch, but Tesla price slashing since 2020 makes today's Y a real bargain, especially given its eligibility for the tax credit. The Y is slightly larger, has more storage, greater range, better efficiency, all those cameras, the charging network, and true one-pedal driving. Its autopilot has flaws but is still better than Audi's. It remains a no-brainer of a buy.

Ah, but the Audi has advantages as well. It's rock solid, with far better fit and finish, a more luxurious interior, and is far quieter and rides far smoother. Better paint, no rattles. The doors thunk, and do a better job keeping dirt off the sills. I also prefer the looks, though that's a matter of taste. Other nice changes:
- Radar and parking sensors. Better blind spot monitoring and cross rear traffic warning.
- Physical controls for climate, wipers, cruise control, rear hatch, hood release, and glove box.
- Better nighttime interior lighting, with every control well-lit. Fancy puddle lights at night when exiting.
- A digital instrument cluster that can display a lot of varied information, plus a big infotainment screen next to it.
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto that works well, not dropping like Tesla Apple music did.
- Seemingly better speakers (Sonos) or maybe music just sounds better because the car is quieter.
- Screen and software combo that I prefer to the Tesla menus. I felt Tesla wasted a lot of its big screen real estate. Another matter of taste.
- Tesla has a better phone app, but the Audi one is fine. It actually connects faster than the Tesla one did.
- The Audi has keyless entry, locking, and starting, but I like having a key fob again. (But now I have to remember to physically lock the car, either by touching the door handle or using the fob!)

The Tesla is futuristic and clever, the Audi deliberately more traditional for us geezers or those coming from ICE cars. The Audi has a different EV philosophy, coasting far further and using blended braking for its regeneration and efficiency. It does have a drive mode close to one-pedal driving but this doesn't bring the car do a complete halt - it creeps - so if choosing this I still have to use the brake at a stop sign! (If you press hard on the brake after stopping it does hold the car without needing to keep your foot there.) Because of this I don't use the inferior Audi one-pedal option, instead letting the car computer do the efficiency calculations in normal drive mode. (For extra regeneration, better to use are the Audi paddle shifters to control battery regeneration and coasting speed on hills, similar to downshifting in a gas car.) The Audi system works well, overall, with Audi seeming to underestimate range while Tesla overestimates. But the driving feel is VERY different. (My wife prefers the Audi.)

I'd prefer the nimbler Tesla on a curvy road and the quiet, smooth, heavier Audi for highway driving. Only time will tell on issues such as reliability, long-term efficiency, and depreciation. (Tesla price cuts, incidentally, really lowered the trade-in value of my Y.)

Both are good cars, and the great news is that there is much more EV choice and refinement than in 2020. We were impressed looking at other brands as well. Tesla has pioneered a path leading to lot of good innovations and choice across many makes and models.
Thankfully, it's all subjective and very much 'each to their own'. We had 4 new Audis is a row over the past dozen or so years and would count ourselves very fortunate to continue with the brand. However, when we decided to go EV we were keen to go with an EV specific manufacturer and avoid the vehicles attempting to 'help us with the transition'. So no fake, plastic, unnecessary radiator grills. No transmission tunnels in the rear, etc.

The 18 month vs 3 month lead time was a decision maker for us. As was the very timely price reduction on the MY which overnight changed it from costing more than the Q4 to being considerably cheaper.

Many of your comments resonate. The Audi is definitely a more solid feeling car. I think that is at least partly due to the frameless doors which are never going to close with that same 'thunk' as those with full frame.

Regarding your bullets, here's my take for what its worth:
Who needs 'real' handles? We are very happy with the Tesla design
Definitely, although if you put the camera view on-screen in the MY it's as good
Tesla Vision was vastly improved with the last OTA but let's be honest, it is very poor in comparison. The Audi version is brilliant
I hate sunroofs despite having one on all my Audis. Never opened them. It's pointless. Just added weight and cost
Took a bit of time to transition but a bit like the 'real' handles, who needs them? Voice control is very good on the MY
Can't say I've noticed. I had fancy puddle lights on my Q3 and can't say I've missed them
The Audi MMI is much better than it was, but it is still awful. After all these years with Audi we still found it confusing and were never certain which (if any) of our phones it was connected to. Truly frustrating BUT it may have been improved again on the Q4.
I use Tesla Sat Nav and Spotify and I don't feel the need to ever go through the clunky process of connecting to Carplay
Dobn't know what that is.
My Audis have all had the added sound system. It was B&O on the last one, Bose the time before. Always excellent but i truly believe the MY system to be at least as good
Agreed. The MY wipers work fine some times, then infuriatingly awful at others. High beam does seem to work though. The Audi wipers were better but could still be a bit random at times but the pixel LEDs were amazing. let's see if Tesla can match it when we eventually get that OTA
yep, a matter of taste. We added one of the after-market speedo's to our MY then removed it again as we realised just how unnecessary all that stuff really is
I assume you have selected the larger font in the settings?
the Audi one is great, once you have gone into the MMI and confirmed it has connected to the correct phone! And ensured that Audi smartphone is right too, Oh, and the music bit ........
HaHa. I'll be happy to never see a key fob again !
Clearly a brilliant man. Particularly his ability to sell cars with functions they don't actually have :)

In a few years, all things being equal, we will be looking at changing our car. Who knows what will be around but I'd be more than happy if we are able to decide its a new Tesla OR a new Audi. Lucky us I say.

That's a nice little review! We had Audis (B9 A4, B9 SQ5, C7 A7) and their build quality is solid. I'm assuming the Q4 E-tron feels the same. We were looking at other EVs but range and charging network was what was of utmost importance to us (we live in a small town with limited chargers). Tesla did both those better than Audi/BMW etc. I also wanted the Hyundai Ioniq5 or Kia EV6 but they didn't have any in stock and the pricing on the MY just couldn't be beat. No regrets though.

I traded in my 2020 MY for 2023 MY at the very end of 2023. The update & improvement is huge but with all the discounts, Fed tax credit & Colorado EV incentive I paid only $5k. For me EV is battery, OTA software update & charging stations-no one can beat Tesla.
Prob off topic (maybe a good new thread) but I’d be curious to hear your assessment of the difference

Thanks for the review. I'm looking at replacing my parent's 2007 Kia Sorrento with an EV. For the value, I think the Y is the ideal car for them but they refuse to support Telsa when Elon is still CEO. The Ioniq5 is my second choice, but they really like Audis so I'll be following this thread. I'm hoping the NACS will roll out sooner than later because I don't want to wish trying to charge on a non-Telsa network on any EV owner.

Thanks for the write-up, congrats on your choices. We too are a retired couple. Why we chose the Y was Federal Tax Rebate (full $7500) Range, and Tesla's charging network as we do make two or three road trips a year, one of which is ~ 1k miles each way. I do hope future Teslas get more comfortable and quieter to drive. As for the other car, my wife prefers the PHEV Toyota RAV4 Prime. We are waiting for the 2025 model this fall when the electric range is rumored to be 50 miles. It should also use the NACS standard like Tesla, so our home charger should work seemlessly with it. We shall soon see what Toyota promises become reality and how that affects our choices. In the meantime, she enjoys her current 2018 Hybrid RAV4.

Thanks for the review. I'm looking at replacing my parent's 2007 Kia Sorrento with an EV. For the value, I think the Y is the ideal car for them but they refuse to support Telsa when Elon is still CEO. The Ioniq5 is my second choice, but they really like Audis so I'll be following this thread. I'm hoping the NACS will roll out sooner than later because I don't want to wish trying to charge on a non-Telsa network on any EV owner.
I replaced my '15 Sorento SX with the MYP, so feel free to ask me anything.

I've had the ICE for 7 years and at 115K before I sold it. Very dependable SUV which was a tank in snow if you're equipped with proper snow tires. Bulletproof AWD system and decent on gas even having a v6 at 291 HP.

You'll enjoy the Y so make the jump!

I replaced my '15 Sorento SX with the MYP, so feel free to ask me anything.

I've had the ICE for 7 years and at 115K before I sold it. Very dependable SUV which was a tank in snow if you're equipped with proper snow tires. Bulletproof AWD system and decent on gas even having a v6 at 291 HP.

You'll enjoy the Y so make the jump!

To clarify, I already have a MYP and I think it's the better EV. I just haven't been able to convince my parents that it's going to be better for them! Did you cross shop anything else? I wonder if I should just leave them the car for a few months and let them drive it.

To clarify, I already have a MYP and I think it's the better EV. I just haven't been able to convince my parents that it's going to be better for them! Did you cross shop anything else? I wonder if I should just leave them the car for a few months and let them drive it.
ok gotcha.

Before going with the Y, I briefly considered the E-Tron as well as the Ionia 5 but I guess my very good experience with the test drive and the chance of owning a Tesla is far too great to disregard.

And your points are why we got a Lyriq Lux 3 awd over the Y. The Y is truly a bargain priced ev in low to mid 40ks but the lack of so many features made the extra $20k easily worth it.

Seriously considered the X but the driveline design defect hasn’t been fixed.

Congrats on your Etron!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pacernow
My mom (in her 70s) got a 2022 fat etron at my suggestion a couple of years ago. She enjoyed driving it and is firmly on board with EVs. Unfortunately it got totalled last year (someone t-boned the car, thankfully no one got hurt) and there's a decent chance she'll end up in a Q4 when she's back (out of country for the winter), but we'll be looking at other options as well.

I got to drive the fat etron quite a bit, and I certainly thought it was the better option for my mom compared to any Tesla because it was closer to the ICE experience and she probably wasn't going to adapt to some of the Tesla stuff. But for me, while there's no question the fat etron had the better ride and more luxurious interior, I found myself preferring to drive my MYP whenever I had an option to choose between the two. Mostly due to what I found to be a much better software layout (I really hated the Audi MMI layout), seats feeling more comfortable (I've done 200 mile+ trips in both), and much stronger regen and 1-pedal driving. But the fat etron was definitely a good vehicle, especially for someone like my mom who doesn't drive much, so the short range didn't really matter.

I think the Q4 would be a good choice for my mom since that was what we were going to look at in 2022 but was mostly unavailable. But we'll also look at BMW iX and Mercedes EQE SUV because she can afford them if she likes them. She did think the fat etron was a tad too big, but after the accident she thought maybe driving a bigger car wasn't so bad. Will be interesting to see what we end up with for her.

Reactions: KevinT3141