Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 road trip impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently took a Ioniq 5 on a short road trip to see what the non-Tesla EV scene is like, and also because I was interested in one before I purchased our Model Y.

Having the chance to rent the car for a few days definitely gave us the chance to spend more time with the car and really evaluate the pros and the cons. Keep in mind this is all just my opinion and YMMV.

Things the Ioniq 5 did better than the Model Y:

Auto-steer and TACC are separate buttons on the Ioniq 5, and they can be turned on independently. I generally used them both on the highways and rural 2 lane roads.

The experience was less stressful than Autosteer. With the Ioniq 5, it will hold the speed you set and won’t arbitrarily change it based on what the car thinks the limit is. I also had zero phantom braking, zero nagging, and I can change lanes or navigate around potholes without turning off these assists. Also, zero dry wipes and zero warnings about cameras being blocked or blinded.

NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) is better in the ioniq 5, but at the cost of a loss of some responsiveness. It’s far more composed over rough roads or train tracks, and it has grab handles. Our Model Y has a few annoying rattles I haven’t completely pinned down, and this car didn’t have any of those.

Finally, I appreciate how the driving modes aren’t as gimped as a recent Tesla and still gives you a choice into how much regen you want and if you want the car to roll or not, etc…

Things the Model Y does better:

Software, 100%. The maps and navigation experience was really painful on the Ioniq 5. I don’t care about Android Auto or Apple CarPlay — the Tesla experience is far better, full stop. Also, I thought it would be nice to go back to buttons, but I think the experience of having to use both buttons and a touch screen to use media, maps or climate is worse than just having to use a touch screen. The Model Y has the perfect balance for me, as it still has two stalks for the most important functions.

This one is more YMMV, but I really appreciate the flexibility and service you get with Tesla. Having to go back and deal with a Hyundai dealer… I think the case could be made if the car was a lot less expensive, but now in 2024 the two models are a lot closer together in price.

TL;DR

The Ioniq 5 is a solid car. It does a few things better than Tesla (IMO) which hopefully Tesla will continue to improve, especially NVH (the highland is a good move in this direction). OTOH the Tesla is a much better computer on wheels. Trying the Ioniq 5 helped me to appreciate that further. I’m rooting for both and the more EVs improve, the better it will be for everyone.

00_IONIQ_5_1.jpg

"00 IONIQ 5 1" by Benespit is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited:
FWIW- I traded my 2020 Y (sept 2020 build) for a 2024 with all the incentives and FSD transfer option. The 2024 is much more composed wrt NVH than the 2020. I expected some improvement but it seems like everything improved enough that I’m really happy to have made the move. The new Model 3 is also supposed to be so much better than the ‘good old days’ . So Tesla is improving those old weaknesses as well as the software where it leads :) .

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
FWIW- I traded my 2020 Y (sept 2020 build) for a 2024 with all the incentives and FSD transfer option. The 2024 is much more composed wrt NVH than the 2020. I expected some improvement but it seems like everything improved enough that I’m really happy to have made the move. The new Model 3 is also supposed to be so much better than the ‘good old days’ . So Tesla is improving those old weaknesses as well as the software where it leads :) .
Same thing with my 2019 M3… huge difference between my 2022 model Y and my 2019 M3.

I have three things to say here. Software. Software. Software. This is where Tesla excels. It reminds me of Apple. The hardware/software synergy is unrivaled in the auto industry.

Rattles and build quality is another story.
Agreed those updates are cool and free and the other little numerous toys, Easter eggs, bug fixes are always nice. Tesla keeps getting better.

I agree, my neighbor has a KIA electric which I drove. Ride is far better than my MY, but hat doesn't take much. The ride in the 2021 MY is about the same as my old 2008 jeep wrangler which was pretty bad. The KIA has too many buttons, although I would like a few more in the Y. I prefer a door lock button, heater controls that are easy to adjust with a quick glance, same with a radio system.
The dash screens in the KIA are also a bit too much; perhaps you would get use to them, but I like the simplicity of the MY's. I think the overall dash layout is just poorly done.
I wish my Y had auto wipers that actually worked correctly and adaptive cruise control w/o phantom braking making it usable. The way people tend to ride your bumper I'm afraid to use it unless no other vehicles are around. Software and tech are great but a car needs to function correctly. I my opinion even the Y has a way to go before I would recommend it to anyone.

Finally, I appreciate how the driving modes aren’t as gimped as a recent Tesla and still gives you a choice into how much regen you want and if you want the car to roll or not, etc…
I am curious how the Ioniq regen braking performs in comparison to the current Tesla approach. Does it offer friction brake assist? When set for 100% regen, is it smooth and predictable?

Reactions: primedive
I am curious how the Ioniq regen braking performs in comparison to the current Tesla approach. Does it offer friction brake assist? When set for 100% regen, is it smooth and predictable?
It has a mode called "I-pedal" which functions pretty much the same as a Tesla with Hold mode. It doesn't hold on steep inclines, but it has an additional "auto-hold" button for that. It also has regen levels 1, 2, and 3. The first couple work more like the Tesla in Creep mode or like an ICE car, and mode 3 works like Tesla in Roll mode. I mostly used I-pedal mode and the braking was very strong, and it was also very smooth. I couldn't tell you if it was using blended braking or not from just the acceleration pedal, but from public info, it seems like tapping the brake pedal itself does blended braking:

"Applying the brake pedal in the IONIQ 5, as mentioned, initially activates the regen braking and will switch to the friction brakes when additional stopping power is needed."

Where Tesla is slightly smoother is in acceleration, not braking. Even in sport mode, I can go from a stop without any jerk in a Tesla, but I find the Ioniq 5 slightly more sensitive around the zero point unless you use eco mode.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and Gigga
We recently took a Ioniq 5 on a short road trip to see what the non-Tesla EV scene is like, and also because I was interested in one before I purchased our Model Y.

Having the chance to rent the car for a few days definitely gave us the chance to spend more time with the car and really evaluate the pros and the cons. Keep in mind this is all just my opinion and YMMV.
How was your charging experience on the trip?

How was your charging experience on the trip?
I did one L2 charge outside of the trip, and it was kind of embarrassing because I had no idea how to disconnect the charger and I was just standing there like an idiot. After Googling it, I figured it out, but that wasn't great UI/UX on Hyundai's part. Consider it a newbie owner issue, but is fine once you know how it works.

I didn't need to do L3 as our total round trip was under 300km and the car handled it fine, so I didn't have to deal with CCS charging, luckily.

Reactions: alexgr
Auto-steer and TACC are separate buttons on the Ioniq 5,
They are also separate on the Tesla -- TACC, traffic-aware cruise control, slows (and stops) in response to the speed of the vehicle ahead, and is unrelated to the posted speed limit. In my MY, it's one pull down on the right stalk. When in "Autosteer" (two pulls down on the right stalk), it not only follows a marked lane, but sets the speed in accordance with the speed limit (and has a maximum amount it will go above it).

Reactions: Krugerrand
They are also separate on the Tesla -- TACC, traffic-aware cruise control, slows (and stops) in response to the speed of the vehicle ahead, and is unrelated to the posted speed limit. In my MY, it's one pull down on the right stalk. When in "Autosteer" (two pulls down on the right stalk), it not only follows a marked lane, but sets the speed in accordance with the speed limit (and has a maximum amount it will go above it).
On Tesla you have TACC, and then TACC + auto steer. On the Ioniq 5 both are independent. It also doesn’t mess around with the speed in accordance with the speed limit (a personal opinion, but I prefer that behavior. Messing with limits should start with NoA or FSD, not a simple lane assist).

The regen (modes) in the HMG (Hyundai Motor Group = IONIQs, KIA EV#s, Genesis EVs) EVs are great and very smooth. It's nice having the ability to adjust them using the paddle shifters, it's very intuitive.

Fun fact, but the HMG EVs regen far greater than Teslas.

HMG EV Max Regen: 360kW

VS

Tesla Max Regen: only 85kW

Before I bought the M3P I was actually on the list (at the time) for the Genesis GV60 Performance . Around that time I test drove the IONIQ 5 Limited and was really impressed. It's solid, well built, roomy, quiet, charges fast and just a great EV. We've rented an IONIQ 6 and have some good flight time with that EV and it's very pleasant to drive.

In my opinion Tesla and HMG are the two legit players in the game right now in this space. I've driven the ID.4 and it sucks. The mach-e is eh okay, although it is far better built than our Teslas, but what isn't right? Half joking, but it's true. It doesn't take much. The Lightning is excellent too.

Like what Mike said, Tesla is a software company first and I often say a tech company second, THHEEENNNN a car company third. Tesla does have the best UI/software hands down in the industry. There's no competition. I've had many full weekends with the Lightning and Ford's software is terrible. VW is absolute rubbish. HMG is actually decent if you use Carplay or Android Auto.

It's exciting to see EVs evolve and I think a lot will change once the legacy makers ship with NACS. CCS needs to go, especially here in N.A.

HMG will be the first to ship their EVs with NACS in Q4 of this year. Wife and I are waiting for the EV9 to come with NACS. It'll be built at the GA plant and also be eligible for the tax incentive.

By the way there's an IOINQ 6 SE lease deal right now for only $239 a month with just $239 down. Yes, you've read that correctly. Insane I know. We have a family friend who actually took advantage of this lease deal. (Side note, with any HMG EVs you currently get the $7500 if leased. Come Q4, when they're built here, game on.)

@primedive thanks for sharing your experience as we find our experience in the IONIQ 5, 6, EV9, GV60 etc... to be very simliar. It's a great EV.

The regen (modes) in the HMG (Hyundai Motor Group = IONIQs, KIA EV#s, Genesis EVs) EVs are great and very smooth. It's nice having the ability to adjust them using the paddle shifters, it's very intuitive.

Fun fact, but the HMG EVs regen far greater than Teslas.

HMG EV Max Regen: 360kW

VS

Tesla Max Regen: only 85kW

Before I bought the M3P I was actually on the list (at the time) for the Genesis GV60 Performance . Around that time I test drove the IONIQ 5 Limited and was really impressed. It's solid, well built, roomy, quiet, charges fast and just a great EV. We've rented an IONIQ 6 and have some good flight time with that EV and it's very pleasant to drive.

In my opinion Tesla and HMG are the two legit players in the game right now in this space. I've driven the ID.4 and it sucks. The mach-e is eh okay, although it is far better built than our Teslas, but what isn't right? Half joking, but it's true. It doesn't take much. The Lightning is excellent too.

Like what Mike said, Tesla is a software company first and I often say a tech company second, THHEEENNNN a car company third. Tesla does have the best UI/software hands down in the industry. There's no competition. I've had many full weekends with the Lightning and Ford's software is terrible. VW is absolute rubbish. HMG is actually decent if you use Carplay or Android Auto.

It's exciting to see EVs evolve and I think a lot will change once the legacy makers ship with NACS. CCS needs to go, especially here in N.A.

HMG will be the first to ship their EVs with NACS in Q4 of this year. Wife and I are waiting for the EV9 to come with NACS. It'll be built at the GA plant and also be eligible for the tax incentive.

By the way there's an IOINQ 6 SE lease deal right now for only $239 a month with just $239 down. Yes, you've read that correctly. Insane I know. We have a family friend who actually took advantage of this lease deal. (Side note, with any HMG EVs you currently get the $7500 if leased. Come Q4, when they're built here, game on.)

@primedive thanks for sharing your experience as we find our experience in the IONIQ 5, 6, EV9, GV60 etc... to be very simliar. It's a great EV.
The Made in China Model Y I have is built real well. Better than the previous 3 cars I have owned. But I am not that fussy.