Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Y to Audi e-tron: a Comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, robotaxis are currently operating in about 20 cities worldwide; Waymo just received permission for robotaxi service in Los Angeles. It's a bit later than Musk predicted, but it turned out to be a lot more difficult than everyone originally thought.

And for the record, he wasn't the only one who thought they could have autonomous robotaxis running by 2020. GM, Ford, even Nissan said they would have them by 2020. So everyone was wrong, and they were all wrong because it turned out to be much more difficult to accomplish than anyone anticipated. But it is happening now.

Being 4 years late in bringing it to market, especially since COVID hit in 2020, isn't a big deal in the long run. Musk could have done what Waymo did and he would have had it 2-3 years ago, but it would have all the drawbacks of a system that only operates in precisely geomapped areas.
You're still being too kind. I recall in 2012 Nissan said they'd have an autonomous car in 2020. I'm pretty sure that in 2019 they didn't say the same (perhaps they did in the 7 year interim some more). Musk has been saying for almost a decade that they are a year away. Over and over and over.

Musk said we'd have robotaxis courtesy of cameras, in teslas. He isn't "four years late", because we so far have exactly zero tesla robotaxis.

Covid had nothing to do with him not having robotaxis in 2020. Waymo also has robotaxis in exceptionally limited geographical areas in highly curated roads; nothing at all what musk was talking about with a 1M robotaxi fleet by 2020--consisting of Teslas.

We are still years minimum from Teslas being autonomously safe and capable cars in widespread adoption (I say this to allow that maybe they also get approval to run a robotax in a few blocks of las vegas or something).

Reactions: laservet
Don’t know but quite a bit. I do think it’s kind of unfair comparing the Covid highs to the current prices. Covid heavily skewed everything.

I am guessing that a power train issue like a bad motor or battery would be multiple five digits.

We're a retired couple who decided to consolidate from two cars to one EV. Since my wife didn't like the lack of physical controls and minimalism of my 2020 Model Y, we're trying a 2024 Audi Q4 e-tron - the all-wheel drive version - instead. We don't road trip much and do 99 percent of our charging at home. A little apples to oranges here, but since I like both cars I'll try to note advantages of each.
Yes, VolksWagen is also making cars.

I kinda was interested in the e-Tron before getting the Y, but their EV tech and design seemed an afterthought to me. No VW for me for a range of reasons. That said, Audi has some really nice interiors (and bad, in my personal opinion, software). On tech and value, I'd go with Acura though.

Also, I am considering the MB EV as an eventual replacement of Model Y, when (and if) they switch to NACS. Did anyone (the OP, especially) cross-shop the Audi with a MB as the next car after MY? Any thoughts?

Audi cost too much, expensive to maintain and dealerships tend to gouge. Crap captive charging network. Depreciate like crazy.

They do, however, stroke the owners ego with fancy interiors and beautiful showrooms.
I bought my Q3 in March 2020 for £54k. Sold it in September 2023 for £34k. I've had 4 Audis from 2010 and they have all been very nice cars to own and to drive. Their MMI though has always been awful. Really poor.