Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Porsche Taycan 4S review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading @Struja post regarding his Taycan, I had to test drive the Taycan and this is my review. For context, I currently own a 2016 Model S75D and I have done my best to not compare the Taycan to it as my car is almost 8 years old now and is not really a comparable car to a new Porsche.

Summary:

Hands down one of the best cars I've ever driven - the Taycan 4S essentially feels like a bigger 911. It wraps itself around you and feels like an extension of your brain, arms and right foot.
  • Sharp and responsive steering (no surprise, its a Porsche after all),
  • Tight and taut suspension (I drove it primarily in Sport Plus mode, however all the modes felt great - Normal, Sport & Sport Plus)
  • high quality of fit and finish (no surprise there)
  • quiet like a tomb at any speed (except when you turn on the futuristic and uber cool sounding electronic sport sound). Its an EV after all so that also makes a difference in the lack of noise. However I'm referring to the non existent wind and road noise.
    original_41ab4e58-456f-455a-8ac9-23ba27a5a0cc_PXL_20240217_223301510.jpg

The long version (Good)
I got this 2023 Taycan 4S (tons of pics below) for a 3 day weekend and I felt like a kid again. I just wanted to go out and drive it constantly. It's so much fun and entertaining!

My review is clearly slanted in the driving and performance department as that's what I prefer first and foremost (the mode of power generation is not relevant in this context as far as I'm concerned as Porsche has miraculously concealed the almost 5000 lb curb weight). I won't get into the debate of ICE vs. EV as that has been beaten to death ad-nauseam on practically every single EV thread.
  1. Performance: This specific car had the Performance Plus battery option which means it has 562 HP. 0 to 60 is 3.8 seconds (official numbers). The car didn't feel that fast to me as I compared it to my 2016 Tesla Model S 75D that does 0 to 60 in 4 seconds. Perhaps the Taycan 4S has a launch mode. I didn't have enough time to figure out how to use that (assuming it does have that option) as I was just having too much fun driving the car. It cornered as if on rails and in the Sport Plus mode, all the performance touch points were very aggressive/immediate - the acceleration was even more immediate (not sure how that is possible when its already an EV (instantaneous/telepathic throttle response comes with the territory), suspension was more taut, the steering was even sharper and that sonorous electric performance sound track was the icing on the cake! I never imagined I would ever love a futuristic sound track to accompany an EV's forward momentum (notice I didn't say fake engine noise as this was not not trying to mimic an ICE engine noise).
  2. Transmission: I'm no engineer and will not comment on how useful or not the 2 speed transmission is. Suffice it to say that when you're driving in Sport Plus mode, the gear shifting up when accelerating hard or shifting down when slowing down is just music to the ears! I love it!
  3. Track Performance: Nothing to say here. Not my car and I don't really have any interest in tracking a car. I love canyon carving and that's about it. The car aced any corner with flying colors.
  4. Comfort and Practicality: The car is very comfortable in any drive mode other than Sport Plus if you're driving a lot on bad roads or frost heaved pavement that we have in Ontario.
  5. Passengers (so long as you're not over 6 foot tall) will be comfortable in the rear.
  6. In the front, the seats go pretty low, so even a 6 footer will be comfortable.
    • The front seats are heavily bolstered which contributes a lot to the overall driver centric nature of the cockpit.
    • The drivers seat (not sure about the front passenger seat as I didn't have enough time to check) has an amazing adjustability for the thigh support. I posted pics below.
    • Trunk and Frunk size is decent for this size of 4 door sedan. Interior quality is very high as expected and the car is very driver focussed/centric. All the controls are very easy to reach and the car just seems to wrap itself around you and become an extension of you. It's that good.
    • Very effective (but pricey) panoramic roof option that allowed you to make the glass opaque (partially or the whole roof) electronically.

The Not so good (some of this is clearly subjective)
  1. Not a lot of storage space in the center console and you cannot really use the center console as an arm rest for your right arm (its just too hard or I'm just too old ). No surprise there as this is a drivers car first, so your hands need to be at 9 and 3 o'clock position on the steering wheel at all times, so you won't be resting your right arm anyway.
    smile.gif
  2. Android Auto when displayed cannot be setup to show in the instrument cluster and is not integrated with the Heads up Display.
  3. The UI is a tad complex (not the primary controls), however if you own the car, I don't see how you won't get comfortable with it eventually.
  4. I didn't really like the backup camera view as all objects just seemed overly distorted - the lens had too wide of an angle perhaps. Having said that, I'm sure an owner would get used to it and could live with it.
  5. The central display could be a little bigger - this might be a personal bias as I'm used to the massive screen in my car.
original_127c8dd8-b504-449f-8bc9-e53fc893eb2c_PXL_20240217_223146741.jpg
original_80731c1d-37e1-4b91-bc50-8007162d7669_PXL_20240217_223217912.jpg
original_83060fd8-922a-47bf-aa96-ad9cfa5a00b9_PXL_20240217_223314370.jpg
original_baf4916f-1a0d-48f8-8e10-e93fac09c6b7_PXL_20240217_223230211.jpg
original_c302b059-87c8-4448-90f0-c8309dac78a1_PXL_20240217_223331611.jpg
original_e2b87762-4197-4c40-a78f-82db5b747c35_PXL_20240217_223123559.jpg
PXL_20240217_213400899.jpg
PXL_20240217_222956018.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240217_222956018~2.jpg
    PXL_20240217_222956018~2.jpg
    562.5 KB · Views: 18
I’m super interested in the new Taycan. I love it. Haven’t driven it yet. That said I drive a lot and really don’t think I can go to a car that doesn’t charger at all superchargers. Once that changes, probably soon, I’ll be forced to take a test drive. I love my M3P with MPP Sport suspension but do miss better dynamics. I want to stay all electric but I think the next 911 turbo is support to be a hybrid. Not sure if I’ll break. Shame the Plaid S is a mess and dynamically terrible. Oh Roadster where art tho?
The charging is a real issue, especially when you get accustomed and spoiled with Tesla’s SC network. We get 3 years free charging at Electrify America/Canada and the closest location to our home is about 45km away (at a crappy outlet mall). We’ve tried to go there 4 times to “try it out” but since there are only 4 charging stalls we’ve never found it to be available.

We plan to take it on a road trip to Michigan in June but we’ve already prepared ourselves that we may have to wait for long periods to charge. Having said that…car drives like a dream. Not sure why, but I think it drives better than my old 911.

The charging is a real issue, especially when you get accustomed and spoiled with Tesla’s SC network. We get 3 years free charging at Electrify America/Canada and the closest location to our home is about 45km away (at a crappy outlet mall). We’ve tried to go there 4 times to “try it out” but since there are only 4 charging stalls we’ve never found it to be available.

We plan to take it on a road trip to Michigan in June but we’ve already prepared ourselves that we may have to wait for long periods to charge. Having said that…car drives like a dream. Not sure why, but I think it drives better than my old 911.
Dont tell me you are going to Tesla Michigan meetup in June! I would love to go too, but its really far driving from Toronto. And thanks for the comprehensive review on the Taycan vs S in the most unbiased way, i havent test drive a taycan yet but my buddy has one Taycan GTS Sport Turismo and i drove it for around the block once, i probably should arrange a test drive for the 2025 taycan when its available, mostly for my wife as well, for me i am sticking with the Plaid, tech head.

@SilverGS thanks for the review, you will be surprise of how much tech the new S / Plaid has! let me know if you want to try it out someday in GTA. Anyway side question, does the Porsche Taycan test drive allows you to drive the car for a couple of hours and no one is following you around or theres a pre-determined route that you can drive around? My wife is interested in the 2025 taycan but i assume the current taycan feels almost the same, interior wise for her to try it out.

Reactions: Struja
Dont tell me you are going to Tesla Michigan meetup in June! I would love to go too, but its really far driving from Toronto. And thanks for the comprehensive review on the Taycan vs S in the most unbiased way, i havent test drive a taycan yet but my buddy has one Taycan GTS Sport Turismo and i drove it for around the block once, i probably should arrange a test drive for the 2025 taycan when its available, mostly for my wife as well, for me i am sticking with the Plaid, tech head.
The “tech head” comment means you have exactly the right car and the same reason why I still love my S. The Taycan is awesome but so is my S.

Sadly…going to Michigan is to visit the in-laws. My wife is an American.

@SilverGS thanks for the review, you will be surprise of how much tech the new S / Plaid has! let me know if you want to try it out someday in GTA. Anyway side question, does the Porsche Taycan test drive allows you to drive the car for a couple of hours and no one is following you around or theres a pre-determined route that you can drive around? My wife is interested in the 2025 taycan but i assume the current taycan feels almost the same, interior wise for her to try it out.
Would love to try out your Plaid! My local Service center only has the LR available for test drives.

I specifically asked for a test drive longer than the usual 30 mins and asked them to keep it overnight. They accomodated me on a Saturday at the end of the day after all the test drives were over and since they were closed on Sunday, they said I could keep it till Monday morning. Monday was a stat holiday, so I actually kept it for almost 3 days. Took it back on Monday night.

The only issue I had was that I couldn't get it to charge at home. The charger kept giving me an error saying it could not detect the car. I had to leave the car at a nearby grocery store that had a slow charger (20km an hour) for 6 hours on one of the days when I was too busy to go out driving.

Your wife and anyone that drives/sits in the car will be blown away with the overall quality of the fit, finish and materials. Other than some areas like the center console arm rest that has hard plastic.

Reactions: Struja
Would love to try out your Plaid! My local Service center only has the LR available for test drives.

I specifically asked for a test drive longer than the usual 30 mins and asked them to keep it overnight. They accomodated me on a Saturday at the end of the day after all the test drives were over and since they were closed on Sunday, they said I could keep it till Monday morning. Monday was a stat holiday, so I actually kept it for almost 3 days. Took it back on Monday night.

The only issue I had was that I couldn't get it to charge at home. The charger kept giving me an error saying it could not detect the car. I had to leave the car at a nearby grocery store that had a slow charger (20km an hour) for 6 hours on one of the days when I was too busy to go out driving.

Your wife and anyone that drives/sits in the car will be blown away with the overall quality of the fit, finish and materials. Other than some areas like the center console arm rest that has hard plastic.
Thanks for the info, i will try to ask for a Saturday night then. I only have the L2 48A 240V tesla wall charger installed at home and a NEMA, but both of my neighbours has J1772 AC, hopefully theirs work. 2025 Taycan doesnt have NACS, so charging will be an issue unless i install another charger. 6 hours spent on charging is 100% deal breaker for me, so much time wasted that you could have test the car more when you had it.

Thanks for the info, i will try to ask for a Saturday night then. I only have the L2 48A 240V tesla wall charger installed at home and a NEMA, but both of my neighbours has J1772 AC, hopefully theirs work. 2025 Taycan doesnt have NACS, so charging will be an issue unless i install another charger. 6 hours spent on charging is 100% deal breaker for me, so much time wasted that you could have test the car more when you had it.
My charger is the NEMA 14-50 plug which is the same charger that the Porsche has, but it wouldn't charge for some reason. I didn't even think of trying the port on the passenger side. That may have worked.

I'm sure you wouldn't need to install another charger if you bought one.

I was busy doing my cardio workout (2.5 hours on a bike) and then had some errands to take care of during those 6 hours. So it wasn't that bad.

• Informative
Reactions: Klyde99