Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS Plaid vs Taycan vs EQS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who I am? As you all know, first time EV potential buyer, very interested in the Tesla MS and ready to buy an EV any-time in the next 1-2 weeks.

Boundary conditions for my question:
  • All preowned
  • Model years 2021-2022 for MS Plaid vs Taycan vs EQS 580
  • Let's assume that I have no emotional attachment to any of these brands
  • Buyer (me) coming from Mercedes and BMW vehicles, never owned an EV.
  • Ignore the charging infrastructure advantage (Mbenz will get access to Tesla next year, not sure about Porsche)
  • Buyer (me) does not care much about a 1-2 seconds difference in a 0-60 race. I value vehicle experience, ownership, comfort, and the cosmetic factor + UI.
  • I do care about range, and I assume they are all just fine in that aspect (I think though EQS range is much more).
Question: Can you all give me your thoughts about these three options (MS Plaid vs Taycan vs EQS 580), pluses and minuses of each, which one would you choose if you were me. Please do not be biased to any brad.

Quick research led me to eliminate the Taycan immediately due to the poor range, so it is mostly EQS 580 vs Plaid

Otherwise, there is a chance that I might just keep enjoying my current S-class with V8 : )

Last edited:
The MS will have the best range, charging, UI/Software, and is the fastest, but it's also the least luxurious.

I personally wouldn't own an EV that wasn't a Tesla, mostly due to the range, charging infrastructure (still not there with Mercedes and it doesn't look like Porsche will join at this moment), Software, and FSD, but I've sat/rode in all and the MS is absolutely the lowest luxury, has higher wind noise/vibration.

Edit: The Mercedes was probably the most "luxurious", but I thought it felt gaudy and wasn't happy with the interior. Both Porsche and Mercedes are way behind Tesla with software IMO.

The MS will have the best range, charging, UI/Software, and is the fastest, but it's also the least luxurious.

I personally wouldn't own an EV that wasn't a Tesla, mostly due to the range, charging infrastructure (still not there with Mercedes and it doesn't look like Porsche will join at this moment), Software, and FSD, but I've sat/rode in all and the MS is absolutely the lowest luxury, has higher wind noise/vibration.
I actually disagree about the range. There are 100% clear evidences everywhere that the EQS 580 gets a much better range that Plaid... What am I missing? If you read everywhere (EQS 580 gets a range even higher than their 360 miles claimed mileage and closer to 380 miles in real life, wherein majority if Plaid users reported a maximum range in real life of 285-300 miles much lower than what Tesla claims; both for the larger wheels spec). Obviously in almost all tests, Tesla cars seem to deliver just the claimed range or under-deliver, wherein other manufacturers seem to be always conservatives with their claimed range. So if it is all about the range, EQS clearly wins....I have no idea what the Taycan delivers... still researching (Quick research led me to eliminate the Taycan immediately due to the poor range, so it is mostly EQS 580 vs Plaid)

Last edited:
I actually disagree about the range. There are 100% clear evidences everywhere that the EQS 580 gets a much better range that Plaid... What am I missing? If you read everywhere (EQS 580 gets a range even higher than their 350 miles claimed mileage, wherein majority if Plaid users reported a maximum range in real life of 285-300 miles; both for the larger wheels spec).
Well the EPA of the Plaid with 19" rilms is 396 miles which will likely be closer to 330 in the real world, which also has a better ride than the 21" rims. The Mercedes I rode in had a max range of 277 miles and the owner said he's hit 290 previously. I guess there is a 340 mile trim, but I haven't been in one.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Well the EPA of the Plaid with 19" rilms is 396 miles which will likely be closer to 330 in the real world, which also has a better ride than the 21" rims. The Mercedes I rode in had a max range of 277 miles and the owner said he's hit 290 previously. I guess there is a 340 mile trim, but I haven't been in one.
I agree, but like I said in my post, my case is assuming the larger wheel option for both, hence with the Plaid, seems like the 345 miles becomes 285 miles in real-life driving, wherein the majority of EQS owners reported that their 340 factory miles is easily achievable. Even Edmunds Tested Real World vs. EPA results show the same). Higher than factory for EQS (381 coming from 340!!, or 422 miles for EQS 450 coming from 350) but just on spot for Plaid (345).
1691611831274.png

Attachments

• 1691611809475.png
    1691611809475.png
    100.6 KB · Views: 150
  • Informative
Reactions: whitex
Not sure why you are shopping for a Plaid vs the non-performance Mercedes. The LR MS is a better value if you really don't care about speed. I've hit 360 miles at interstate speeds in my MSLR which is 10 miles longer than the 340 mile Mercedes that Car and Driver saw.
Unfortunately, I've been looking for 3-4 weeks now. There is not a single MS LR that is fairly priced. Only the Plaid are fairly prices (or at least based on what I found).

I would rather get a Plaid for a good deal, than paying more than market value for MS LR.... If you look at autotrader, most sellers are just testing the water out having their cars staying for 3-5 months posted when they are asking high 70s for the MS LR refresh, wherein they are only selling for low to mid 60s. Hence, I would rather get a plaid at a fair price but just paying a little more than what MS LR people are asking. if you know a serious MS LR seller, let me know.

If range is the most important thing, the Lucid Air is the best you can buy.
I know I won't need maintenance much, but I am not willing to get a car that would need to be towed across 3-4 states when I need something serviced. I would rather stay with Mbenz and Tesla just for the peace of mind that they have shops at least within 3 hours away from me.

Unfortunately, I've been looking for 3-4 weeks now. There is not a single MS LR that is fairly priced. Only the Plaid are fairly prices (or at least based on what I found).

I would rather get a Plaid for a good deal, than paying more than market value for MS LR.... If you look at autotrader, most sellers are just testing the water out having their cars staying for 3-5 months posted when they are asking high 70s for the MS LR refresh, wherein they are only selling for low to mid 60s. Hence, I would rather get a plaid at a fair price but just paying a little more than what MS LR people are asking. if you know a serious MS LR seller, let me know.
You can get a MSLR for 80k with under 1,000 miles.

Remember, if you buy through Tesla used inventory you get the remainder of there warranty + 1 yr/10,000 miles additional warranty tacked on after the original warranty expires.

When you search online, put a few different zip codes in to expandr search for available cars.

Let us know what your outcome is.

-stew

Remember, if you buy through Tesla used inventory you get the remainder of there warranty + 1 yr/10,000 miles additional warranty tacked on after the original warranty expires.

When you search online, put a few different zip codes in to expandr search for available cars.

Let us know what your outcome is.

-stew
I feel that buying from a dealer or private seller would still give be a better value for the money overall than buying from Tesla.com.... I'll keep trying; otherwise a MS Plaid seems like a better car overall even if it comes at a higher price..... would rather get a Plaid than over-paying for a MS LR. Thanks again for the advise.

Reactions: Carsly2
Longevity and reliability is the most important to me and so Tesla seems to have the longest track record (for better or for worse). However, I recently road in my friend's new EQE and I was impressed with the suspension, ride comfort, and fit & finish. Like you, I really don't car about speed...they're all faster than what we need on a public road and charging infrastructure is less of an issue if you level 2 charge at home and/or do not take long road-trips beyond 300 miles. Given the issues that Tesla has had with its earlier Model S battery packs and drive units during the first 4 years of production, I wouldn't be surprised if MB and other legacy manufacturers also find some design flaws in their own products over the next couple of years. I guess I'd advocate waiting, but if you must choose an EV I would recommend the one with the best warranty.

Longevity and reliability is the most important to me and so Tesla seems to have the longest track record (for better or for worse). However, I recently road in my friend's new EQE and I was impressed with the suspension, ride comfort, and fit & finish. Like you, I really don't car about speed...they're all faster than what we need on a public road and charging infrastructure is less of an issue if you level 2 charge at home and/or do not take long road-trips beyond 300 miles. Given the issues that Tesla has had with its earlier Model S battery packs and drive units during the first 4 years of production, I wouldn't be surprised if MB and other legacy manufacturers also find some design flaws in their own products over the next couple of years. I guess I'd advocate waiting, but if you must choose an EV I would recommend the one with the best warranty.
I forgot to add that my cars don't last that long. I never ever (in my life) kept any of my cars longer than 3 years. The only exception was my Lexus LS 430 back in the days that lasted a happy 5 years. In the past ~6-7 years, I have averaged 1 year and 1 month of ownership per car. For the next one, If I chose wisely, I want it to last 3 years max (likely 1-2 years) before I start shopping again.

The fact that most Tesla owners report that they get impressed (even on the comfort side) when they ride in a Mbenz EV car is a concern to me, especially that I have been driving BMWs and Mbenz. I think I can scarify luxury, this would be 100% okay by me, but what I do NOT want to scarify is the ride comfort!!!!
If that also comes with more road noise and wind noise, this is a no no for me!!!
I once sold my X7 after 6 months only because it had loud wind noise by design!!!

The fact that most Tesla owners report that they get impressed (even on the comfort side) when they ride in a Mbenz EV car is a concern to me, especially that I have been driving BMWs and Mbenz. I think I can scarify luxury, this would be 100% okay by me, but what I do NOT want to scarify is the ride comfort!!!!
If that also comes with more road noise and wind noise, this is a no no for me!!!
I once sold my X7 after 6 months only because it had loud wind noise by design!!!
Sounds like you ought to get out there and test drive some cars then. Based on your sensitivity to comfort and noise, it sure sounds like you'll be happier with the legacy luxury/performance. I think it's pretty safe bet that there's much more sound deadening material in the MB/BMW/VAG. Ever consider the BMW i4? My aunt has one and quite content never pumping gas again...and 5 years ago she declared that she would never buy an EV too.

As for your comment about Tesla owners being impressed with the MB, I'm one of them. The doors feel so much more solid, suspension tuning is comfortable but just firm enough, but I'm not sure how intuitive the user interface is (there are soooo many settings that it makes me appreciate Tesla's minimalist approach).