Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS Plaid vs Taycan vs EQS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't driven or ridden in the Mercedes or Porsche, but the ride on the Plaid is very, very smooth and quiet to me, but my other cars are an X5M and an F-type SVR. It's all relative, but this car is very smooth and quiet to me. Without any engine sound, you hear the wind more, but still overall much quieter than an ICE car. The interior definitely not as nice as the other 2, but with a nice steering wheel and trim, it gets a lot nicer. And there are companies that do custom interiors. And it's definitely much faster than the other 2, but if that's not a priority for you, then probably the Porsche is the best overall option, IMO.

IMG_8165.jpeg

You're going to have to drive the EQS. I found the ride quality and driving dynamics to be horrible. It is too bouncy. And the infotainment is such a mess.

My buddy has an EQS and it's currently been at the dealer for the past 2 weeks with a battery issue. They don't know what's wrong with it

• Informative
Reactions: Dayreg
You're going to have to drive the EQS. I found the ride quality and driving dynamics to be horrible. It is too bouncy. And the infotainment is such a mess.

My buddy has an EQS and it's currently been at the dealer for the past 2 weeks with a battery issue. They don't know what's wrong with it
I had EQS they had to buy back lemon all I hear is horror’s story on EQS

Tycan you will driving on 2x2 all day long

Honestly MS refresh fully loaded with FSD which I have know is the best car in EV right now

Nothing come close yes it may have its own problems but for me it’s been a pleasure and a honor to own and drive it everyday

Love it love it that says it all

I had EQS they had to buy back lemon all I hear is horror’s story on EQS

Tycan you will driving on 2x2 all day long

Honestly MS refresh fully loaded with FSD which I have know is the best car in EV right now

Nothing come close yes it may have its own problems but for me it’s been a pleasure and a honor to own and drive it everyday

Love it love it that says it all
More details please on how a perfect EQS ride would compare to MS? Keep power and acceleration aside.

I have a 2018 100D model S and a 2022 Taycan 4S. I understand there are some upgrades to the suspension in the plaid. I test drove a plaid model X a few weeks ago.

I would take a Taycan over Tesla any day of the week. Ride quality and build quality is beyond comparison. I charge mostly at home (solar) and work. So road trips are out of the equation. I prefer to take the kids in our minivan for road-trips.

Tesla wins for charging network and software. I’ve had a few issues with initial software updates on the Taycan but it has been rock solid for the past 1.5 years. Dealing with dealerships and their occasional exhorbitant service pricing can be challenging with Porsche but you will always get a loaner (unlike Tesla customer care).

Kids hate riding in Tesla rear seats due to poor airflow from the rear vents and the jerkinesss of motion (one pedal driving - esp when wife is driving). Only reason I’ve kept the Tesla right now is that it is paid off and I have warranty until 2026. If interest rates come down, I will be trading the Tesla to an EQS sUV, macan EV or cayenne hybrid.

You're on a tesla forum asking for advice on which car to buy. Go on a porsche forum and you'll get a completely different answer. Go drive each one, see which you like the best, and buy. I never understood how it takes people in the months to buy cars. If I wake up and want a certain car, I usually find and buy it within a couple days max. Perhaps that's just me...

You're on a tesla forum asking for advice on which car to buy. Go on a porsche forum and you'll get a completely different answer. Go drive each one, see which you like the best, and buy. I never understood how it takes people in the months to buy cars. If I wake up and want a certain car, I usually find and buy it within a couple days max. Perhaps that's just me...
Well, if that’s what you do, then good for you. I don’t wake up and buy a car just like that as in your approach, and yes, I spend months researching and shopping. BUT, I guarantee you, the end results, price, and spec’s of eveyr car I owned in the past what I end up getting after months of research beats 9 out of 10 cars you buy with your “wake up and buy in 2 days” approach. Am a car guy who trade his cars EVERY YEAR… 9 months of happiness and 3 months shopping for the next toy. Last 7 years, 7 daily drives, not including the times I convinced my wife to do the same, then the number would even go up. Before I buy a car, I want to make sure I know everything about it. This 1-3 months of research by itself is a hobby.
I got the chance to connect with some great people here on this forum by just asking questions, and of them was nice enough to chat with me on daily basis as a friend. Cars talk…. It’s all fun and nothing wrong with the OCD approach finding or researching a car.
And, yes, I already posted on EQS forums. Have no intention (yet) to post on the Taycan forum (preliminary research tells me it’’s a no go due to range).

I have a 2018 100D model S and a 2022 Taycan 4S. I understand there are some upgrades to the suspension in the plaid. I test drove a plaid model X a few weeks ago.

I would take a Taycan over Tesla any day of the week. Ride quality and build quality is beyond comparison. I charge mostly at home (solar) and work. So road trips are out of the equation. I prefer to take the kids in our minivan for road-trips.

Tesla wins for charging network and software. I’ve had a few issues with initial software updates on the Taycan but it has been rock solid for the past 1.5 years. Dealing with dealerships and their occasional exhorbitant service pricing can be challenging with Porsche but you will always get a loaner (unlike Tesla customer care).

Kids hate riding in Tesla rear seats due to poor airflow from the rear vents and the jerkinesss of motion (one pedal driving - esp when wife is driving). Only reason I’ve kept the Tesla right now is that it is paid off and I have warranty until 2026. If interest rates come down, I will be trading the Tesla to an EQS sUV, macan EV or cayenne hybrid.
Discouraging (but very useful) real-life experience here. I am impressed by the UI and FSD in Tesla cars based on what I noticed, but the comfort and build-quality comments are something to keep in mind. I appreciate it. Wish I can find a fully loaded but reasonably priced EQS around… hard to find… plus am getting concerned by how many lemon EQS vehicles are around… scary!

EQS is definitely new and there have been issues (esp with the hyper screen, or some other electrical gremlins). Over here in orlando, I had the chance (in June 2023) to lease a base EQS 450 for $750/month for 12k miles/year for 2 years. Almost bit the bullet but decided to hold off until the 2024 model year came out.

MB’s decision to have a white/cream steering wheel and white carpet put me off. It looks cool in the pictures but would be difficult to maintain with kids. I’m used to having light colored seats but carpet would be a b**ch to clean. 🤪. Hoping that is fixed for 2024 model year.

If you change your cars frequently, I’d say go for the Tesla and try it out. It is good value for performance but may not be for comfort. At the end of the day, only you can decide what best suits your needs.

When they cancelled the right hand drive Plaid for us here in the UK I was angry at Tesla and went out looking at the Taycans and Mercs with the specific purpose of exiting Tesla.
I found:
-Taycan drives and handles incrementally better than my '20 Raven MS with its adaptive suspension (which is a game changer compared to an older MS), but nowhere close to the true performance machinery I also own. Merc was too floaty for me (coming from sporty machinery).
-Taycan just does not have the interior room I need (the MS is our family/commuting/practical car).
-Merc's screens were just silly and are angled such that there are too many reflections during all daylight hours.
-The mix of buttons and un-intuitive screens on the Porsche and Taycan was very annoying during my extended test drives. And coming from the Tesla App/interface/Supercharging infrastructure the others seem just backward.

So I've ended up keeping my Raven MS (it has the plus larger battery BTW) till something better comes along. It still wins out having adequate ride comfort, enough range for a comfortable all-day-drive/destination-charge road trip, the better interior space and by far the best EV infrastructure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skateboardgolf
More details please on how a perfect EQS ride would compare to MS? Keep power and acceleration aside.
If you're leaning towards the EQS, which is sounds like you are, then I'm having trouble understanding why you're cross-shopping the Plaid. They're very different cars. The EQS is a comfort cruiser, the Plaid is a very fast sports sedan. Performance isn't even in the same category, the EQS is significantly slower and is going to have a soft, mushy comfort suspension with soft dynamics geared for older people and ladies. It's also extremely heavy...up to 1000lbs more than the Plaid. The EQS egg-shaped body isn't very attractive, IMO, but it will definitely win in the comfort, bling, and luxury department. And the build quality and materials will be better for sure. Car reviews back this up. Even if there are some issues on the EQS, I'm sure MB will fix them under warranty. If you're still unsure, there are plenty of online videos and you should drive them at least once, but it sounds like the EQS is your bag.

As a car guy, the only reason am cross shopping the MS to the EQS or Taycan is because I am impressed by the tech and FSD in the Tesla. Just worried if it's too bad on the comfort side that it may kill the fun of tech and FSD. Still waiting for a test drive. Each time I schedule one they get back to me that the car is not available and that they have to push my appointment (there aren't many test-drive options in my area, and anyway I was going to drive 3 hours to the nearest Tesla location)

As for why am looking for the Plaid instead of LR since speed is not a factor for me: Reason for that is that I trade in a lot, and I feel the Plaid keeps it's value better than LR and sells faster too later. Initial capital investment is not an issue for me as long as the return is better (value for the money wise). Hence, why not enjoy the plaid? Sounds like range drop is not that huge.

My understanding from the experts here is that the MS LR with the larger wheel would get me maybe 305-310 miles on the 10% to 90% battery span, wherein the Plaid would be closer to 380-390% in the 10% to 90% span. Both ranges are long enough that one would need to stop anyway after driving that long and it's a 30 miles difference only. I may opt in for the 19" on the plaid, and hence it is only a 10 miles difference I guess, hopping to get 340 miles 10% to 90%? Let me know.

As a car guy, the only reason am cross shopping the MS to the EQS or Taycan is because I am impressed by the tech and FSD in the Tesla. Just worried if it's too bad on the comfort side that it may kill the fun of tech and FSD. Still waiting for a test drive. Each time I schedule one they get back to me that the car is not available and that they have to push my appointment (there aren't many test-drive options in my area, and anyway I was going to drive 3 hours to the nearest Tesla location)

As for why am looking for the Plaid instead of LR since speed is not a factor for me: Reason for that is that I trade in a lot, and I feel the Plaid keeps it's value better than LR and sells faster too later. Initial capital investment is not an issue for me as long as the return is better (value for the money wise). Hence, why not enjoy the plaid? Sounds like range drop is not that huge.

My understanding from the experts here is that the MS LR with the larger wheel would get me maybe 305-310 miles on the 10% to 90% battery span, wherein the Plaid would be closer to 380-390% in the 10% to 90% span. Both ranges are long enough that one would need to stop anyway after driving that long and it's a 30 miles difference only. I may opt in for the 19" on the plaid, and hence it is only a 10 miles difference I guess, hopping to get 340 miles 10% to 90%? Let me know.
Well, again, this is the smoothest, quietest car I've had, but that includes a long list of M cars, Porsche, Jaguar, GT-Rs, and an Aston. But if comfort is your main goal, the EQS is your choice.

I don't necessarily think the Plaid will hold its value better than the LR. I think neither will hold its value well, so I wouldn't factor that in. This is a mass-produced car, and subject to Elon's whims of lowering the price to move product. I would expect the worst. But the EQS won't hold its value well, either. These are depreciating assets.

I don't think your stats on range are accurate, Plaid range is definitely shorter than LR, but I'm also not sure why that's such an issue. Do you go on a lot of really long trips? I use mine as a daily and plug it in when I get home, so the range is never an issue. There have been zero times when I have taken it for a trip long enough to need to stop to charge, but if that happened, I'd plan it around the supercharger network. I just don't see the issue there, it's really not much different than stopping for gas.

Well, again, this is the smoothest, quietest car I've had, but that includes a long list of M cars, Porsche, Jaguar, GT-Rs, and an Aston. But if comfort is your main goal, the EQS is your choice.

I don't necessarily think the Plaid will hold its value better than the LR. I think neither will hold its value well, so I wouldn't factor that in. This is a mass-produced car, and subject to Elon's whims of lowering the price to move product. I would expect the worst. But the EQS won't hold its value well, either. These are depreciating assets.

I don't think your stats on range are accurate, Plaid range is definitely shorter than LR, but I'm also not sure why that's such an issue. Do you go on a lot of really long trips? I use mine as a daily and plug it in when I get home, so the range is never an issue. There have been zero times when I have taken it for a trip long enough to need to stop to charge, but if that happened, I'd plan it around the supercharger network. I just don't see the issue there, it's really not much different than stopping for gas.

Can you share what you think is the more accurate stats for the LR vs Plaid with the wheels size mentioned too, while also mentioning the battery span for your reference data points? I'd appreciate that.
As for range, it's kinda critical because anything that has 260 miles range for the 10 to 90% battery span will save me from making any single stop to recharge. We take a monthly highway trip that is 220 Miles, with 40 miles in-town when we arrive our destination. Hence, 260 miles is the threshold that saves me from making a stop. If it's just below that, this means I will have to stop only for those few miles missing. 300 miles 10-90% would be ideal in my view for our use.

Well, if that’s what you do, then good for you. I don’t wake up and buy a car just like that as in your approach, and yes, I spend months researching and shopping. BUT, I guarantee you, the end results, price, and spec’s of eveyr car I owned in the past what I end up getting after months of research beats 9 out of 10 cars you buy with your “wake up and buy in 2 days” approach. Am a car guy who trade his cars EVERY YEAR… 9 months of happiness and 3 months shopping for the next toy. Last 7 years, 7 daily drives, not including the times I convinced my wife to do the same, then the number would even go up. Before I buy a car, I want to make sure I know everything about it. This 1-3 months of research by itself is a hobby.
I got the chance to connect with some great people here on this forum by just asking questions, and of them was nice enough to chat with me on daily basis as a friend. Cars talk…. It’s all fun and nothing wrong with the OCD approach finding or researching a car.
And, yes, I already posted on EQS forums. Have no intention (yet) to post on the Taycan forum (preliminary research tells me it’’s a no go due to range).
I can guarantee that you don't:
a) get better deals than me; My last 4 brand new lamborghinis I've bought in the last 18 months have all been *under* MSRP and specced by me. I bet you couldn't even get a dealer to let you order one, let alone at MSRP or better. Sourcing cars is actually something I do as a hobby even for some dealers.(A bit bored in retired life.)

b) Buy better cars than I do(in terms of condition, and quite frankly cars in general,) and certainly don't find better specs. Google my username and find me on any forum(lambo-talk, m5board, nsxprime, svtperformance etc,) and you can find some of the cars i've sold over the years. I am sure very few can rival my current and past lineup of cars.

Just for Tesla reference, I picked up my 2021 9k mile Plaid for $69.5k w/ FSD option a couple of months ago.

My point is that you have posted a lot of repetitive things seemingly hoping for a different answer. You're on a Tesla forum, where most people are going to direct you to Tesla, naturally. I am the admin at lamborghini-talk so I go through a lot of the posts, and I always find it interesting when people go in trying to get opinions about Lambo over ferrari/mclaren; People are going to back up the brand they are on the forum for. All i'm saying is, just buy it. If you end up not liking it, sell it. Half the fun is finding and buying the car, so if you have to find another, so be it. Some crazy good deals on some S plaids in a couple of the Wholesale groups I'm in. Need help sourcing a car, reach out. Good luck.

I can guarantee that you don't:
a) get better deals than me; My last 4 brand new lamborghinis I've bought in the last 18 months have all been *under* MSRP and specced by me. I bet you couldn't even get a dealer to let you order one, let alone at MSRP or better. Sourcing cars is actually something I do as a hobby even for some dealers.(A bit bored in retired life.)

b) Buy better cars than I do(in terms of condition, and quite frankly cars in general,) and certainly don't find better specs. Google my username and find me on any forum(lambo-talk, m5board, nsxprime, svtperformance etc,) and you can find some of the cars i've sold over the years. I am sure very few can rival my current and past lineup of cars.

Just for Tesla reference, I picked up my 2021 9k mile Plaid for $69.5k w/ FSD option a couple of months ago.

My point is that you have posted a lot of repetitive things seemingly hoping for a different answer. You're on a Tesla forum, where most people are going to direct you to Tesla, naturally. I am the admin at lamborghini-talk so I go through a lot of the posts, and I always find it interesting when people go in trying to get opinions about Lambo over ferrari/mclaren; People are going to back up the brand they are on the forum for. All i'm saying is, just buy it. If you end up not liking it, sell it. Half the fun is finding and buying the car, so if you have to find another, so be it. Some crazy good deals on some S plaids in a couple of the Wholesale groups I'm in. Need help sourcing a car, reach out. Good luck.

To each his own way man. You seem to repeatedly criticize my approach of asking questions. if it's repetitive to you, ignore them. I am yet to learn anything new or get a useful answer from you, so just pass on my questions instead of criticizing. I am not here to debate or prove to you anything. You tried to prove yourself, but I have no interest in a back and forth, going through a debate, or to prove you wrong, or even to prove my identity in the car buying domain like you did. I just don't care. This is my style when researching cars...asking and meeting people. Call it whatever you want, I enjoy going through the little tiny details. There is still a long list of cars I want to own in the next 5 years and I would rather rank them VERY carefully. My current S-class did not yet pass 9-months ownership time, so I have at least a good month or 2 to do research while also enjoying conversation with people who truly wants to help and chat than criticizing or coming off a bit awkward.

Can you share what you think is the more accurate stats for the LR vs Plaid with the wheels size mentioned too, while also mentioning the battery span for your reference data points? I'd appreciate that.
As for range, it's kinda critical because anything that has 260 miles range for the 10 to 90% battery span will save me from making any single stop to recharge. We take a monthly highway trip that is 220 Miles, with 40 miles in-town when we arrive our destination. Hence, 260 miles is the threshold that saves me from making a stop. If it's just below that, this means I will have to stop only for those few miles missing. 300 miles 10-90% would be ideal in my view for our use.
Well based on Tesla's own specs on their website, the range is 405 for the LR and 396 for the Plaid. The plaid by definition is going to be lower in range, and worse when you stomp on the go pedal al lot. For 260 miles, just put it in chill or sport mode and cruise on the long stretches. The 19's also give a higher range.

Design Your Model S | Tesla

Just drive one or ride along. It will reset your concept of what is fast. The S class is comically slow in comparison. I traded a tuned GTR with around 700 hp for this, which is much, much faster. I don't know where you live, but I see one many days on my commute, sometimes more. I'm sure there's a member close by that can give you a ride.