Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Taycan vs. My Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We got our Taycan about 7 weeks ago and I just picked up my brand new Model S and I wanted to give some of my initial impressions and comparisons between the two cars. Things I like about each car and things I don't particularly love.

Let's start with my Model S:

I had a 2016 S90D which I replaced by a 2023, non-plaid. 21" Wheels, Yoke, Blue Exterior, White Interior, EAP and a 3 month trial of FSD.

To begin with, like many of you have told me, Kudos to Tesla on the much improved build quality. No big panel gaps, no mis-aligned door trim. Car just feels better (almost stronger). A noticeable improvement from my 2016 car.

The responsiveness of the UI is unreal and in typical Tesla fashion, the tech is absolutely wonderful and sooooo intuitive. My old Model S didn't have air suspension so this new one drives much better than my oldie. The app (although the same) is quite good (at least compared to the abysmal Porsche app). My range at 100% is just over 600km but that's probably not real, especially not in the winter. The car is fast, too fast for me (did I really just write that???). God bless the guys who drive Plaid, I don't know how you do it. When I smash the accelerator on this one, it scares the bejesus out of me. Even though my Model S is essentially the same car since the 2016 refresh, I think it still looks good and stylish.

I used FSD for the first time in my life and even though I'm "older" I'm not a dinosaur, but truth be told, FSD scared the sh*t out of me. It worked quite well, but it is far from perfect or ready for prime time IMO.

One of the misses on this car is something I CHOSE on purpose. The Yoke. I don't like it. I wanted it, I wanted to try it and I'm sure I will get used to it, but I have a hard time beleiving it is superior or equal to a regular steering wheel.

No matter, I fell in love with the Model S in 2016 and that love affair continues.

On to my Taycan (actually it's my wife's car).

The Taycan is a 4S, with the 21" Mission E wheels, the 93.4KW battery and about every option Porsche could fool us into buying (which was pretty much everything).

Let's start with the good... this is a driver's car. I used to say this about my Model S, but now that we've got the Taycan, it's different. Nothing and I mean nothing I've ever driven has given me the kind of pleasure I get from driving the Taycan. It is pure joy. The steering is tight, the ride is smooth, it holds the road better than my old 911, or my b-i-l's R8. It begs you to drive it like you're on a track at all times. Looks are entirely subjective but for me, when we have the Mission E's on it (we use winter rims which aren't quite as nice), but to me it's one of the nicest looking cars on the road and certainly my favourite looking EV.

The interior screams quality. Everything about how this car is put together is perfection.

Driving experience aside, the Taycan misses the mark on technology in a lot of places. First and foremost, to me it is almost counter-intuitive in most of its tech. Programming charging is non-sensical and even after 7 weeks, I still haven't figured it out to perfection. The Porsche app also sucks to a point of being unusable.

Next, for some reason Porsche gives you like 3 ways to perform the same task. Some people like that sort of flexibility but I don't. So, for example you can raise or lower the suspension at least 3 ways and maybe 4 and sometimes you have to go through menu after menu. I also never used CarPlay or Android Auto until we got the Taycan and I have to say I like them both. I love using Waze in the Taycan, pretty cool.

Range: This has been the abysmal failure, which I've yet to figure out. My 100% range with the Taycan is about 350km. I find it is much closer to being accurate than in my old Model S, but still, 350km kinda sucks. Add to that, the Taycan is about $65k more than my Model S.

Charging- I have a lectron adapter so I've been able to use my Tesla wall connector to charge the Taycan and I also get 3 years free with Electrify America/Canada for road trips. Interestingly though, for whatever reason, the Taycan charges much slower than my Model S both at home and at a Chargepoint charger at work. I get 30km per hour at work with the Model S and only 24km with the Taycan. Can't seem to figure out why. I get about 65km/h at home with the Model S and about 48km/h wit the Taycan. I have a feeling I've probably loused up some setting.

Porsch Inno Drive is terrible. Maybe I don't know how to use it, but everytime I've used it, it seems to want to bounce me back and forth in my lane but can't really hold me steady. I think it sucks.

I would still highly recommend both cars but I will give you some of my preferences in a nutshell.

- Driving comfort, handling, excitement and feel goes to the Taycan.
- Exterior looks, goes to the Taycan for me (totally subjective)
- Quality of the materials used, goes to the Taycan. Just feels more "luxurious".
- Tech... Model S by a mile
- Ease of use and UI intuitiveness... big edge to the Model S.
- Charging - both home and the broader SC network, big edge to the Model S
- Driver assistance features... another big win for my Model S
- "Fun Factor" - Tie. The Taycan is more fun to drive, but all of the nerdy techy stuff in my Model S levels the playing field.

All in all, I find these to be two quite different cars but both are amazing in their own ways. Given that the Model S is about 65k less than the Taycan 4S, I'd give the overall edge to the Model S, but I wouldn't get rid of the Taycan for a second Model S. I enjoy how different they are, what each brings to the table.

2020_Porsche_Taycan_4S_79kWh_Front.jpg

"2020 Porsche Taycan 4S 79kWh Front" by Vauxford is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Great review. thank you. For your question:
I get 30km per hour at work with the Model S and only 24km with the Taycan. Can't seem to figure out why.
I don't know this for sure, but I suspect you are getting caught in the efficiency calculation. You can calculate the EPA efficiency by dividing kwhr/km. Since the S is "rated " more efficient, the same amount of energy delivered will mean more miles per hour in the S. However, as long as the voltage and amps being delivered are identical, you are technically receiving the same amount of juice in each. Now, in real world driving, that's debatable, but I could see that being the reason for the differences in km/hr

So, I’ve only had the S for a few days and I am still a “long term reliability skeptic”, but I have to say my new S is just light years better than my old one. Like, truly light years. It’s hard to fathom the improvements. I loved my old S, so I am just downright giddy at this point.

Don’t get me wrong, if I’m spending 15k a year to service it once it’s out of warranty, I won’t be giddy, but right now I feel no different than the 10 year old that just got his first ever gaming console, a PS5.

So, I’ve only had the S for a few days and I am still a “long term reliability skeptic”, but I have to say my new S is just light years better than my old one. Like, truly light years. It’s hard to fathom the improvements. I loved my old S, so I am just downright giddy at this point.

Don’t get me wrong, if I’m spending 15k a year to service it once it’s out of warranty, I won’t be giddy, but right now I feel no different than the 10 year old that just got his first ever gaming console, a PS5.
When you've figured out the improvements in all the excruciating detail, I would love to hear about them!

Range: This has been the abysmal failure, which I've yet to figure out. My 100% range with the Taycan is about 350km. I find it is much closer to being accurate than in my old Model S, but still, 350km kinda sucks. Add to that, the Taycan is about $65k more than my Model S.
That's surprising as most reviewers state that Taycan range is understated by Porsche, and it seems to regularly beat it's TC/EPA range in test runs. I wonder if it uses a heat pump? Are you driving on winter tires?

My M3 will meet it's TC/EPA range if I drive at ~100kmh.

When you've figured out the improvements in all the excruciating detail, I would love to hear about them!
In order that I do this, I swear I will have to go outside with a notepad, but you’re like me (I think) with an AP1 car, right?

Let me try a few…

1. Just to have a fully functional MCU (as it was designed to work) is amazing. Snappy, quick and intuitive. Layout of the screen is better, you can swipe and move just about anything. I’m sure I can swipe my wife right out of the passenger seat.

2. Screen has three positions and when you tilt it in towards the driver it really give you that cockpit feel.

3. Adjustable suspension. Game changer for me, especially in my garage where I used to hit my door along the concrete strip. Now I raise it to its highest level (once) and I’m more than an inch above.

4. Suspension modes.

5. Sentry mode and live view from app.

6. Dash cam.

7. Fit and finish is far better. Carpets seem more plush better insulated.

8. I had the upgraded sound system in my old one, this one is infinitely superior. Louder, clearer, more bass.

9. Smoother ride. Seems quieter as well.

10. Launch mode. Car is stupid fast.

11. Thought I would really miss my sunroof but the full glass roof is quite nice.

12. No internal rattles (yet)

I’m sure there are plenty more.

That's surprising as most reviewers state that Taycan range is understated by Porsche, and it seems to regularly beat it's TC/EPA range in test runs. I wonder if it uses a heat pump? Are you driving on winter tires?

My M3 will meet its TC/EPA range if I drive at ~100kmh.
It’s weird because prior to buying it I was reading that some people were reporting over 300 miles of range (at 100%), which is more than 480km. When I had the 21” Mission E wheels on it, I would get less than 350km at 100%. With my winter tires and 20” wheels I’m around 400km at 100%, which is simply less than what I had hoped for or expected.

• Informative
Reactions: DuncanM
I've owned both (just sold our Model S, kept the Taycan while we decide on a second car in the future). Agree in large part with the OP - the Taycan is an incredible car to drive, feels like a little electric go kart. I've got a 2021 Taycan 4S with WAY too many (55k???) of the options. The Model S is larger, more pratical, just as quick in a straight line, but feels more like a big car than a toy. Both are great in their own ways. Our Model S was an SUV replacement for our three kids. It was so practical. The Taycan is less so.

Porsche dealerships just cost more anytime you need to go there, but the service is out of this world. Drop a Cayenne loaner off at my door, drive my taycan an hour each way to get it serviced? Yep, thank you very much. The cost has some benefits.

Reactions: Struja
I've owned both (just sold our Model S, kept the Taycan while we decide on a second car in the future). Agree in large part with the OP - the Taycan is an incredible car to drive, feels like a little electric go kart. I've got a 2021 Taycan 4S with WAY too many (55k???) of the options. The Model S is larger, more pratical, just as quick in a straight line, but feels more like a big car than a toy. Both are great in their own ways. Our Model S was an SUV replacement for our three kids. It was so practical. The Taycan is less so.

Porsche dealerships just cost more anytime you need to go there, but the service is out of this world. Drop a Cayenne loaner off at my door, drive my taycan an hour each way to get it serviced? Yep, thank you very much. The cost has some benefits.
This is literally our exact experience (with on surprise)…the Taycan (so far) is a lot more “buggy” than I expected. We’ve got a service appointment coming up because Spotify has just vanished. No explanation and no reasons. It just disappeared.

• Informative
Reactions: richyrich
This is literally our exact experience (with on surprise)…the Taycan (so far) is a lot more “buggy” than I expected. We’ve got a service appointment coming up because Spotify has just vanished. No explanation and no reasons. It just disappeared.
Mine sometimes reverts to German on the map, which my kids thinks is hilarious. I just use CarPlay at this point.

In order that I do this, I swear I will have to go outside with a notepad, but you’re like me (I think) with an AP1 car, right?

Let me try a few…

1. Just to have a fully functional MCU (as it was designed to work) is amazing. Snappy, quick and intuitive. Layout of the screen is better, you can swipe and move just about anything. I’m sure I can swipe my wife right out of the passenger seat.

2. Screen has three positions and when you tilt it in towards the driver it really give you that cockpit feel.

3. Adjustable suspension. Game changer for me, especially in my garage where I used to hit my door along the concrete strip. Now I raise it to its highest level (once) and I’m more than an inch above.

4. Suspension modes.

5. Sentry mode and live view from app.

6. Dash cam.

7. Fit and finish is far better. Carpets seem more plush better insulated.

8. I had the upgraded sound system in my old one, this one is infinitely superior. Louder, clearer, more bass.

9. Smoother ride. Seems quieter as well.

10. Launch mode. Car is stupid fast.

11. Thought I would really miss my sunroof but the full glass roof is quite nice.

12. No internal rattles (yet)

I’m sure there are plenty more.
Thanks very much! Yes I have an AP1 car with the Air suspension and upgraded MCU2.

This is very helpful and great to hear about the specific improvements - especially the less noise, improved quality, better sound system (and mine is not even the upgraded stereo), power ofcourse etc

I have a sunroof but would prefer just the "all glass" roof as I've opened mine maybe twice in 4.5 years.

Reactions: Struja
Some pics of the two beauties….in fairness to the Taycan…those are my winter Rims on Nokian Tires. When it is wearing the Mission E wheels, it’s a different looking creature (maybe my single favourite thing about it).

Attachments

• 20240101_151938.jpeg
    20240101_151938.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 20240101_151630.jpeg
    20240101_151630.jpeg
    424.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240101_151553.jpeg
    20240101_151553.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Thanks very much! Yes I have an AP1 car with the Air suspension and upgraded MCU2.

This is very helpful and great to hear about the specific improvements - especially the less noise, improved quality, better sound system (and mine is not even the upgraded stereo), power ofcourse etc

I have a sunroof but would prefer just the "all glass" roof as I've opened mine maybe twice in 4.5 years.
I feel like the fact that you had air suspension means you already had a better driving car than mine. I think the air suspension is a night and day difference and offers so much flexibility.

I used my sunroof a lot and it cost me a lot to keep fixing (lol). I thought I would really miss it but the full glass roof on the S is awesome. Even better than the Taycan IMO.

• Love
Reactions: SilverGS