Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Taycan vs. My Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Struja as a fellow Canuck and down the 401 from you in Ottawa, you just sold me on the S (TBD if I go Plaid or not!)

I was really contemplating the Taycan or the new Macan EV, but the feedback you provided on the tech side, app, etc convinces me that (for me at least), I'll be happy to stick with Tesla (currently have a '22 M3P).

I love the tech in Tesla and no other car manufacturer comes close. I have automations programmed on my phone. .For example, I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max and have the new Action button so that when I press it, I get a bunch of options, including Prep Car (for Ottawa winters), Pop the frunk, trunk, Defrost, all programmed using Siri shortcuts.

The QOL of using a Tesla (if you're into tech) is just incomparable to other brands.

@Struja as a fellow Canuck and down the 401 from you in Ottawa, you just sold me on the S (TBD if I go Plaid or not!)

I was really contemplating the Taycan or the new Macan EV, but the feedback you provided on the tech side, app, etc convinces me that (for me at least), I'll be happy to stick with Tesla (currently have a '22 M3P).

I love the tech in Tesla and no other car manufacturer comes close. I have automations programmed on my phone. .For example, I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max and have the new Action button so that when I press it, I get a bunch of options, including Prep Car (for Ottawa winters), Pop the frunk, trunk, Defrost, all programmed using Siri shortcuts.

The QOL of using a Tesla (if you're into tech) is just incomparable to other brands.
Did you test drive the Taycan?

Did you test drive the Taycan?

No I haven’t. I likely will before ordering the S but I can’t see the drive making me change my mind. I’m expecting the taycan will drive a heck of a lot better than the S, I’ve driven Porsches before (a family member is big into them).

However the QOL stuff I mentioned is important (to me).

Part of me feels if I bought the Porsche it would be more for the name recognition more than anything else and trying to avoid that.

No I haven’t. I likely will before ordering the S but I can’t see the drive making me change my mind. I’m expecting the taycan will drive a heck of a lot better than the S, I’ve driven Porsches before (a family member is big into them).

However the QOL stuff I mentioned is important (to me).

Part of me feels if I bought the Porsche it would be more for the name recognition more than anything else and trying to avoid that.
I would reserve judgement till I drive one. 😁

On the topic of quality, fit and finish, the sound the doors make when shut, the driving experience - it's on a completely different planet compared to any Tesla.

We got our Taycan about 7 weeks ago and I just picked up my brand new Model S and I wanted to give some of my initial impressions and comparisons between the two cars. Things I like about each car and things I don't particularly love.

Let's start with my Model S:

I had a 2016 S90D which I replaced by a 2023, non-plaid. 21" Wheels, Yoke, Blue Exterior, White Interior, EAP and a 3 month trial of FSD.

To begin with, like many of you have told me, Kudos to Tesla on the much improved build quality. No big panel gaps, no mis-aligned door trim. Car just feels better (almost stronger). A noticeable improvement from my 2016 car.

The responsiveness of the UI is unreal and in typical Tesla fashion, the tech is absolutely wonderful and sooooo intuitive. My old Model S didn't have air suspension so this new one drives much better than my oldie. The app (although the same) is quite good (at least compared to the abysmal Porsche app). My range at 100% is just over 600km but that's probably not real, especially not in the winter. The car is fast, too fast for me (did I really just write that???). God bless the guys who drive Plaid, I don't know how you do it. When I smash the accelerator on this one, it scares the bejesus out of me. Even though my Model S is essentially the same car since the 2016 refresh, I think it still looks good and stylish.

I used FSD for the first time in my life and even though I'm "older" I'm not a dinosaur, but truth be told, FSD scared the sh*t out of me. It worked quite well, but it is far from perfect or ready for prime time IMO.

One of the misses on this car is something I CHOSE on purpose. The Yoke. I don't like it. I wanted it, I wanted to try it and I'm sure I will get used to it, but I have a hard time beleiving it is superior or equal to a regular steering wheel.

No matter, I fell in love with the Model S in 2016 and that love affair continues.

On to my Taycan (actually it's my wife's car).

The Taycan is a 4S, with the 21" Mission E wheels, the 93.4KW battery and about every option Porsche could fool us into buying (which was pretty much everything).

Let's start with the good... this is a driver's car. I used to say this about my Model S, but now that we've got the Taycan, it's different. Nothing and I mean nothing I've ever driven has given me the kind of pleasure I get from driving the Taycan. It is pure joy. The steering is tight, the ride is smooth, it holds the road better than my old 911, or my b-i-l's R8. It begs you to drive it like you're on a track at all times. Looks are entirely subjective but for me, when we have the Mission E's on it (we use winter rims which aren't quite as nice), but to me it's one of the nicest looking cars on the road and certainly my favourite looking EV.

The interior screams quality. Everything about how this car is put together is perfection.

Driving experience aside, the Taycan misses the mark on technology in a lot of places. First and foremost, to me it is almost counter-intuitive in most of its tech. Programming charging is non-sensical and even after 7 weeks, I still haven't figured it out to perfection. The Porsche app also sucks to a point of being unusable.

Next, for some reason Porsche gives you like 3 ways to perform the same task. Some people like that sort of flexibility but I don't. So, for example you can raise or lower the suspension at least 3 ways and maybe 4 and sometimes you have to go through menu after menu. I also never used CarPlay or Android Auto until we got the Taycan and I have to say I like them both. I love using Waze in the Taycan, pretty cool.

Range: This has been the abysmal failure, which I've yet to figure out. My 100% range with the Taycan is about 350km. I find it is much closer to being accurate than in my old Model S, but still, 350km kinda sucks. Add to that, the Taycan is about $65k more than my Model S.

Charging- I have a lectron adapter so I've been able to use my Tesla wall connector to charge the Taycan and I also get 3 years free with Electrify America/Canada for road trips. Interestingly though, for whatever reason, the Taycan charges much slower than my Model S both at home and at a Chargepoint charger at work. I get 30km per hour at work with the Model S and only 24km with the Taycan. Can't seem to figure out why. I get about 65km/h at home with the Model S and about 48km/h wit the Taycan. I have a feeling I've probably loused up some setting.

Porsch Inno Drive is terrible. Maybe I don't know how to use it, but everytime I've used it, it seems to want to bounce me back and forth in my lane but can't really hold me steady. I think it sucks.

I would still highly recommend both cars but I will give you some of my preferences in a nutshell.

- Driving comfort, handling, excitement and feel goes to the Taycan.
- Exterior looks, goes to the Taycan for me (totally subjective)
- Quality of the materials used, goes to the Taycan. Just feels more "luxurious".
- Tech... Model S by a mile
- Ease of use and UI intuitiveness... big edge to the Model S.
- Charging - both home and the broader SC network, big edge to the Model S
- Driver assistance features... another big win for my Model S
- "Fun Factor" - Tie. The Taycan is more fun to drive, but all of the nerdy techy stuff in my Model S levels the playing field.

All in all, I find these to be two quite different cars but both are amazing in their own ways. Given that the Model S is about 65k less than the Taycan 4S, I'd give the overall edge to the Model S, but I wouldn't get rid of the Taycan for a second Model S. I enjoy how different they are, what each brings to the table.
Thank you. This is what I was looking for. I'm looking at used options, for about 60k usd, you can find a 4s with 30kish miles. There are some 2021 plaids in the 60s usd with the updated looks in/out, or 2022 long range options. I just assumed I'd get a taycan, I love the look and the range is fine for our commute. But getting a newer car, with the tech and charging, the tesla has moved up the list, plus i love the hatch. I'm on the fence. I've driven the long range and it was great, but didn't feel special. I haven't driven the taycan yet. Like you. Not sure a plaid is needed but .... lol

Thank you. This is what I was looking for. I'm looking at used options, for about 60k usd, you can find a 4s with 30kish miles. There are some 2021 plaids in the 60s usd with the updated looks in/out, or 2022 long range options. I just assumed I'd get a taycan, I love the look and the range is fine for our commute. But getting a newer car, with the tech and charging, the tesla has moved up the list, plus i love the hatch. I'm on the fence. I've driven the long range and it was great, but didn't feel special. I haven't driven the taycan yet. Like you. Not sure a plaid is needed but .... lol
You could go Cross-Turismo 😀

The Taycans even used are so expensive here in Canada. The Plaid and Taycan aren’t really in the same pricing bracket even used.

Sorry for not responding earlier but I've been dealing with two terminally ill parents at the same time... so a bit out of touch.

Now that I've had both cars for a while I can tell you that you won't go wrong with either. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE both of them for very different reasons.

Reactions: DuncanM
So, I’ve only had the S for a few days and I am still a “long term reliability skeptic”, but I have to say my new S is just light years better than my old one. Like, truly light years. It’s hard to fathom the improvements. I loved my old S, so I am just downright giddy at this point.

Don’t get me wrong, if I’m spending 15k a year to service it once it’s out of warranty, I won’t be giddy, but right now I feel no different than the 10 year old that just got his first ever gaming console, a PS5.
Completely agree coming from my 2014 S to my refreshed S. Still love the red though

Reactions: Struja
I needed to also include a range update. So, over at the Taycan forum people told me the range estimates would change significantly once I had more time in the car and the car figured out my real world driving habits. I’m sure getting warmer whether has also helped but last night I charged the Taycan to 80% and had an estimate of 371km. Still way below the Model S but way better than when it was new. This is similar to my range of my 7 year old Model S 90D.

We got our Taycan about 7 weeks ago and I just picked up my brand new Model S and I wanted to give some of my initial impressions and comparisons between the two cars. Things I like about each car and things I don't particularly love.

I had a 2016 S90D which I replaced by a 2023, non-plaid. 21" Wheels, Yoke, Blue Exterior, White Interior, EAP and a 3 month trial of FSD.

To begin with, like many of you have told me, Kudos to Tesla on the much improved build quality. No big panel gaps, no mis-aligned door trim. Car just feels better (almost stronger). A noticeable improvement from my 2016 car.

The responsiveness of the UI is unreal and in typical Tesla fashion, the tech is absolutely wonderful and sooooo intuitive. My old Model S didn't have air suspension so this new one drives much better than my oldie. The app (although the same) is quite good (at least compared to the abysmal Porsche app). My range at 100% is just over 600km but that's probably not real, especially not in the winter. The car is fast, too fast for me (did I really just write that???). God bless the guys who drive Plaid, I don't know how you do it. When I smash the accelerator on this one, it scares the bejesus out of me. Even though my Model S is essentially the same car since the 2016 refresh, I think it still looks good and stylish.

I used FSD for the first time in my life and even though I'm "older" I'm not a dinosaur, but truth be told, FSD scared the sh*t out of me. It worked quite well, but it is far from perfect or ready for prime time IMO.

One of the misses on this car is something I CHOSE on purpose. The Yoke. I don't like it. I wanted it, I wanted to try it and I'm sure I will get used to it, but I have a hard time beleiving it is superior or equal to a regular steering wheel.

No matter, I fell in love with the Model S in 2016 and that love affair continues.

The Taycan is a 4S, with the 21" Mission E wheels, the 93.4KW battery and about every option Porsche could fool us into buying (which was pretty much everything).

Let's start with the good... this is a driver's car. I used to say this about my Model S, but now that we've got the Taycan, it's different. Nothing and I mean nothing I've ever driven has given me the kind of pleasure I get from driving the Taycan. It is pure joy. The steering is tight, the ride is smooth, it holds the road better than my old 911, or my b-i-l's R8. It begs you to drive it like you're on a track at all times. Looks are entirely subjective but for me, when we have the Mission E's on it (we use winter rims which aren't quite as nice), but to me it's one of the nicest looking cars on the road and certainly my favourite looking EV.

The interior screams quality. Everything about how this car is put together is perfection.

Driving experience aside, the Taycan misses the mark on technology in a lot of places. First and foremost, to me it is almost counter-intuitive in most of its tech. Programming charging is non-sensical and even after 7 weeks, I still haven't figured it out to perfection. The Porsche app also sucks to a point of being unusable.

Next, for some reason Porsche gives you like 3 ways to perform the same task. Some people like that sort of flexibility but I don't. So, for example you can raise or lower the suspension at least 3 ways and maybe 4 and sometimes you have to go through menu after menu. I also never used CarPlay or Android Auto until we got the Taycan and I have to say I like them both. I love using Waze in the Taycan, pretty cool.

Range: This has been the abysmal failure, which I've yet to figure out. My 100% range with the Taycan is about 350km. I find it is much closer to being accurate than in my old Model S, but still, 350km kinda sucks. Add to that, the Taycan is about $65k more than my Model S.

Charging- I have a lectron adapter so I've been able to use my Tesla wall connector to charge the Taycan and I also get 3 years free with Electrify America/Canada for road trips. Interestingly though, for whatever reason, the Taycan charges much slower than my Model S both at home and at a Chargepoint charger at work. I get 30km per hour at work with the Model S and only 24km with the Taycan. Can't seem to figure out why. I get about 65km/h at home with the Model S and about 48km/h wit the Taycan. I have a feeling I've probably loused up some setting.

Porsch Inno Drive is terrible. Maybe I don't know how to use it, but everytime I've used it, it seems to want to bounce me back and forth in my lane but can't really hold me steady. I think it sucks.

I would still highly recommend both cars but I will give you some of my preferences in a nutshell.

- Quality of the materials used, goes to the Taycan. Just feels more "luxurious".
- "Fun Factor" - Tie. The Taycan is more fun to drive, but all of the nerdy techy stuff in my Model S levels the playing field.

All in all, I find these to be two quite different cars but both are amazing in their own ways. Given that the Model S is about 65k less than the Taycan 4S, I'd give the overall edge to the Model S, but I wouldn't get rid of the Taycan for a second Model S. I enjoy how different they are, what each brings to the table.
Your review convinced me to test drive a Taycan. I have to say a lot of my opinions match yours !

View attachment 1029408
"2020 Porsche Taycan 4S 79kWh Front" by Vauxford is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
I used to have a Porsche Cayenne, and the InnoDrive was pretty bad in that as well. As for the Yoke, I chose that as well on my Model S and I didn't like it at first. However, now, after a year, I would choose it again. Also, Porsche has Apple CarPlay, which is a real win for them, and in my view it hurts Tesla not to have CarPlay.

How about performance, I understand the S was more scary?

View attachment 1029408
"2020 Porsche Taycan 4S 79kWh Front" by Vauxford is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
Great review, I really appreciate the descriptive analysis. The Taycan looks sweet... the first non-Tesla EV I have really liked the look of! Good to know I wouldn't be let down.

I used to have a Porsche Cayenne, and the InnoDrive was pretty bad in that as well. As for the Yoke, I chose that as well on my Model S and I didn't like it at first. However, now, after a year, I would choose it again. Also, Porsche has Apple CarPlay, which is a real win for them, and in my view it hurts Tesla not to have CarPlay.
I have an Android and use Android Auto. I like it (especially Waze) but I’d have to think long and hard before I came up with anything from a technology perspective that I prefer on the Taycan.

How about performance, I understand the S was more scary?
Different. I don’t have the Turbo or Plaid so neither of mine represents the fastest model. The Taycan has a two gear electric drive so the Tesla launches better IMO but once they get going, both are ridiculously fast and once you start taking some turns, well, at the point the Taycan becomes sheer bliss. Had a bad day? Take the Taycan for a drive on a winding road and your bad day goes away.

I get 30km per hour at work with the Model S and only 24km with the Taycan. Can't seem to figure out why. I get about 65km/h at home with the Model S and about 48km/h wit the Taycan. I have a feeling I've probably loused up some setting.

Don't give charging speeds in km/h. An efficient car wil seem to charge slower in km/h than an inefficient car.

As for the numbers: Model S with 600 km range and 65 km/h charging is 10.8%/h * 100 kWh = 10.8 kW
Taycan with 350 km range and 48 km/h is 13.7%/h * 93.4 kWh = 12.8 kW. And does it have 93.4 kWh? I tought it was 92.3 or 97 for the Plus.
So the Taycan is actually charging faster.

I believe the Tesla can charge 48Amp @ 240 V = 11,5 kW.
The Taycan specifies 9.6, 11, 19.2 or 22 kW.

@Struja - I have a question about the drive modes in your Taycan.

I really enjoyed everything about the "Sport Plus" mode other than the "harsh" ride on not so smooth pavement.

Is it possible to configure the "Individual mode" to have the exact same parameters as the Sport Plus mode except the suspension setting (not the height), but just the comfort level?

So as an example, the "Individual" mode would be (ideally for me)
  • Suspension height: same as Sport Plus - low
  • Suspension comfort: same as Sport mode (not the Sport Plus mode)
  • Accelerator, steering response: same as Sport Plus mode
  • Electronic sport sound: On