Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche 911 owner -- drove P85+ yesterday -- deposit placed -- MANY QUESTIONS :-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have about 5000 miles seat time in my P85 and now almost 1000 miles with the P+ suspension retrofit. So I have been able to compare the exact same car with the two different suspension options. The difference is like NIGHT and DAY. The P+ suspension feels so planted and confidence inspiring, while the standard suspension feels a little "nervous". The P+ does exactly what you tell it to do with the steering wheel, while the standard suspension adds its own embellishments like the rear end wiggle when doing quick lane changes on the freeway.

I enjoy driving fast but was never confident enough in the P85's handling to drive it over 85 mph. I've tested the P+ to 105 mph and it is rock solid. You may never care to go that fast, but for me it is nice to know that the P+'s handling behavior does not change as road speed increases.

I'm now convinced that the P+ is the world's best handling luxury 4 door sedan - better than BMW, better than Mercedes and better than Audi. You won't be disappointed if you order a P+, but you might be if you don't. :biggrin:

Making my job much easier--and YES DIL, listen to him! It's all true, so why wonder later...:cool:

Ugh guys --- charging is becoming a real blocker. So bummed. I'm looking into various options (chargepoint) etc and it looks like my only option is going to be a 110v in one corner of my condo garage, that I can use here and there. I really want to order the car but am bummed about the limiting charging options. Our high rise garage is actually owned by an independent 3rd party (not our HOA) so my HOA has limited control. I've asked the garage owner to see if I can add a 240v outlet at my expense, still waiting to hear on that.

The 110v will *probably* serve my needs in the short term, given it's a weekend/fun car and I dont have a commute, and we have an Audi Q5 for real heavy duty stuff. Wondering whether I should just have fun with it and order the car now, or wait until we we buy our house (as soon as a month to several months, bay area real estate sucks!).

Anyone know of a good/cheap way to charge publicly in the SOMA area of SF?

thanks.
As I understand it, there are bulletproof laws in SF/California put in place to enable you to charge your EV regardless of your parking situation. Since I live in Sweden, I don’t know the specifics, but many on this forum are very knowledgeable. And it’s not unusual at all that someone in the know would have chimed in by now and posted something helpful. The amount of content posted on TMC has increased though... But if you (cross)post a more descriptively titled thread about specifically this issue here:

California

…or here:

North America (in the Charging Standards and Infrastructure part of the forum)

…my guess is you’ll get some feedback.

You can of course also try searching the forum.

As I understand it, there are bulletproof laws in SF/California put in place to enable you to charge your EV regardless of your parking situation. Since I live in Sweden, I don’t know the specifics, but many on this forum are very knowledgeable. And it’s not unusual at all that someone in the know would have chimed in by now and posted something helpful. The amount of content posted on TMC has increased though... But if you (cross)post a more descriptively titled thread about specifically this issue here:

California

…or here:

North America (in the Charging Standards and Infrastructure part of the forum)

…my guess is you’ll get some feedback.

You can of course also try searching the forum.
^+1
in addition @403portside, we are fortunate enough to live near Tesla HQ, Tesla factory, and the best EV/supercharger infrastructure in the country (maybe the world?). I know from personal experience that dealing with condo associations in SF is painful, but you should be able to manage just fine with public stations and 110V considering how few miles you plan to drive. And when you move into a house with your own garage, you will have a personal "gas" station that fills up your car every night! Consider me a convert.

- - - Updated - - -

Making my job much easier--and YES DIL, listen to him! It's all true, so why wonder later...:cool:
I'm listening @texex91. In fact, I spend every waking moment thinking about it. I've managed to dispense with every possible reason NOT to get a + except:
(1) My wife - Working on it. She'll get there, if only to shut me up. I've taken to sending her a "TEOTD" with a daily feature on why we must buy an MS. TEOTD=Tesla Email Of The Day! She's really cool and supportive, actually.
(2) Tires - I think it all comes down to this. I commute ~90 miles daily (ironically I pass the Fremont factory on my way to the office not far from Tesla HQ in Palo Alto). As you might imagine, it's a grind, with lots of stop and go and bad traffic. From everything I've read here, rear tires will last 6k to 12k miles at best (using @lolachampcar's suggestion to rotate rear tires left-right, ignoring unidirectional markings). That means swapping tires 3x/year for $1000 every time?? Just kills my TCO and my soul. If you guys can help me get past this one, I'm in. And don't say "You've got to pay to play!" ;)
PS>Apologies for hijacking this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm listening @texex91. In fact, I spend every waking moment thinking about it. I've managed to dispense with every possible reason NOT to get a + except:
(1) My wife - Working on it. She'll get there, if only to shut me up. I've taken to sending her a "TEOTD" with a daily feature on why we must buy an MS. TEOTD=Tesla Email Of The Day! She's really cool and supportive, actually.
(2) Tires - I think it all comes down to this. I commute ~90 miles daily (ironically I pass the Fremont factory on my way to the office not far from Tesla HQ in Palo Alto). As you might imagine, it's a grind, with lots of stop and go and bad traffic. From everything I've read here, rear tires will last 6k to 12k miles at best (using @lolachampcar's suggestion to rotate rear tires left-right, ignoring unidirectional markings). That means swapping tires 3x/year for $1000 every time?? Just kills my TCO and my soul. If you guys can help me get past this one, I'm in. And don't say "You've got to pay to play!" ;)
PS>Apologies for hijacking this thread.

1) Wife you can handle--so I'm confident.

2) Tires. If you go with P+ there is no rotating them, due to different front back sizes (not sure about left right--I wouldn't).

Since you have a longer commute, I cannot think of a BETTER reason to get +...imagine the 'fun' time you can have with it.

The suspension and ride are that much different, and you certainly do not want to wish later you had gotten +.

Tires can be changed and it comes down to your driving habits. But, yes, if you want the best you will "have to pay to play"---wanna play???

2) Tires. If you go with P+ there is no rotating them, due to different front back sizes (not sure about left right--I wouldn't).

Since you have a longer commute, I cannot think of a BETTER reason to get +...imagine the 'fun' time you can have with it.

The suspension and ride are that much different, and you certainly do not want to wish later you had gotten +.

Tires can be changed and it comes down to your driving habits. But, yes, if you want the best you will "have to pay to play"---wanna play???

Damn you're good. Who ARE you? Wait, is this Elon trying to single-handedly drive up TSLA shares?

True that the whole reason I'm even considering a $100k sports sedan is because I spend 3 hours a day in the dang car. So additional fun factor is a good argument.

Back to tires: What I meant about tire rotation was to swap the left rear tire with the right rear tire (not front to back) to help with asymmetrical wear pattern that has been described due to aggressive camber. Also sucks that there are so few choices when it comes to replacing tires this size. The selection really comes down to those sticky, but pricey PS2's. I wouldn't go for Continentals or Pirellis. I wonder if Michelin will start producing more tires in this size? Can we have some AS/3's or even better, PSS, please?

Oh, and I meant to say that I like the clean new sig too. Very classy.

Update: My wife just put "Go to Tesla showroom" on calendar for Monday the 21st. Looks like we're in the home stretch, guys!

Damn you're good. Who ARE you? Wait, is this Elon trying to single-handedly drive up TSLA shares?

True that the whole reason I'm even considering a $100k sports sedan is because I spend 3 hours a day in the dang car. So additional fun factor is a good argument.

Back to tires: What I meant about tire rotation was to swap the left rear tire with the right rear tire (not front to back) to help with asymmetrical wear pattern that has been described due to aggressive camber. Also sucks that there are so few choices when it comes to replacing tires this size. The selection really comes down to those sticky, but pricey PS2's. I wouldn't go for Continentals or Pirellis. I wonder if Michelin will start producing more tires in this size? Can we have some AS/3's or even better, PSS, please?

Oh, and I meant to say that I like the clean new sig too. Very classy.

Update: My wife just put "Go to Tesla showroom" on calendar for Monday the 21st. Looks like we're in the home stretch, guys!

Didnt take long with the wife--good going!

Now the tires. I wouldn't want any other tire on the +, the PS2 is downright mean. Sticky, planted, fat--you name it. Go drive the P+ and we'll be done here. Anyone wanna bet on this one??

We'll be waiting for you in the big boys sandbox...

DIL,

I've done the swap across the back thing with rear tires on other high negative camber cars. It has always worked well for me with zero issues on "Inside" being on the outside. I figure it is better to have 80% depth with on less rain groove then 25% with one more.

It only takes one try...in this case a simple, innocent, P85+ "test drive" to 'crack' open that P(ower)+.

The first one is free :cool:

I'll consider myself lucky as they did not have a P85+ the day I went for my drive. I tried bringing up the topic with the wifey again last night and her icy look took years off my life. :scared: