Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sad about Plaid? Attention past or present Porsche 911 Owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: easyev
I’m just in this thread to say I want a 992 Carrera T so bad it hurts. 😂

I’m just here to say I sold my 991.2 version after 5 great years with it in December and am so glad it hurts...

signal-2021-12-11-182619.jpeg

Reactions: ucmndd
I've grown up. I was in Porsche world for a long time. It's lovely as long as you can live in it, but once you decide you can't, just like any ecosystem, it was more pain than joy. Cost of ownership, cost of attention, cost of etc. etc. etc.

I have my F-150 and a couple of Indians and my wife has her Y until our ordered MSP shows up (hopefully soon)...

Reactions: easyev
I've grown up. I was in Porsche world for a long time. It's lovely as long as you can live in it, but once you decide you can't, just like any ecosystem, it was more pain than joy. Cost of ownership, cost of attention, cost of etc. etc. etc.

I have my F-150 and a couple of Indians and my wife has her Y until our ordered MSP shows up (hopefully soon)...
I wonder if the choice between iPhone and Android among people I know could be likened to a phone analogy. Those who switched to Android often cited the ecosystem as a reason. Similarly, there's a universal desire to experience something as exquisite as a Porsche. Despite the chilly 2°C weather, I recently saw a 911 GT3 RS with a massive wing carefully navigating onto a busy road. While I can't fully grasp the appeal, having never owned a GT3 myself, and doubting I ever will, the opportunity to experience one is exciting. A sales representative has offered me a ride in one, and I believe it's absolutely worth a 30 km journey just to experience sitting in the passenger seat of such an iconic vehicle.

Gateway drugs...

There is no substitute. I truly believe that. Amazing cars for the money, but it doesn't come without downsides. As long as you can keep it is perspective, again like all things, you'll love it. Best driving experiences of my life in those cars. So there is that... But there is a reason I am a Tesla person now. Best conveyance on the planet IMO.

The MS, 911 and Taycan are all just completely different cars. I suppose the thread is relevant if you had to get just one, but I would suggest that depends a lot on what you use the car for.

The MS is our family hauler. No RHD Plaids which I had ordered, but I did test a LHD. I would get it to replace my Raven Performance if only to not have the higher speed accleration drop.

But it could never replace my Atom (for track) or my Mclaren spider (for fun road and weekend use), both of which have ridiculously lower rotational inertia with their mid-engines and overall light weights. The Taycan is really no better than the MS in that regard, just a surface patch-up with rear wheel steering and better roll control. And lack of interior space.

Reactions: dn325ci
The MS, 911 and Taycan are all just completely different cars. I suppose the thread is relevant if you had to get just one, but I would suggest that depends a lot on what you use the car for.

The MS is our family hauler. No RHD Plaids which I had ordered, but I did test a LHD. I would get it to replace my Raven Performance if only to not have the higher speed accleration drop.

But it could never replace my Atom (for track) or my Mclaren spider (for fun road and weekend use), both of which have ridiculously lower rotational inertia with their mid-engines and overall light weights. The Taycan is really no better than the MS in that regard, just a surface patch-up with rear wheel steering and better roll control. And lack of interior space.
Couldn't agree more. Don't buy Tesla MS as your sports car and then be disappointed when it's not. MS is a fabulous daily driver and grand tourer. MHO, this is where the Taycan fails. It's tiny interior, poor range, incapable CCS charging, and less useful rear cargo area make it less than MS as a daily. Plus the software capabilities suck compared to Tesla. And BTW, it's pricing is silly. And then have a great sports car, which the Taycan really isn't either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12Pack and easyev
Couldn't agree more. Don't buy Tesla MS as your sports car and then be disappointed when it's not. MS is a fabulous daily driver and grand tourer. MHO, this is where the Taycan fails. It's tiny interior, poor range, incapable CCS charging, and less useful rear cargo area make it less than MS as a daily. Plus the software capabilities suck compare to Tesla. And BTW, it's pricing is silly. And then have a great sports car, which the Taycan really isn't either.
The problem is on paper, It looks like a sports car. It accelerates like a sports car. Some people call it a sports car…really they do. How many YouTube videos have you seen of the plaid out accelerating most (all?) factory production sports cars? But it’s a big family sedan that goes like hell, which is quite unusual these days esp in an EV.

When you see it, navigate the ‘ring it just doesn’t look comfortable or easy to control at all and it probably isn’t at its limits. Watch a 911 go around and how beautiful is that?

Real world range for the taycan is close enough to the S to not matter.

For me what I want in a daily driver is fast, decent range, comfortable, and good enough handling to keep things interesting. I don’t need cargo space or tons of interior space.

Model S does well enough in the metrics I care about to be acceptable. But the Taycan will absolutely be better in ride comfort, handling, NVH. Just was more money than I was willing to spend

Real world range for the taycan is close enough to the S to not matter.

For me what I want in a daily driver is fast, decent range, comfortable, and good enough handling to keep things interesting. I don’t need cargo space or tons of interior space.

Model S does well enough in the metrics I care about to be acceptable. But the Taycan will absolutely be better in ride comfort, handling, NVH. Just was more money than I was willing to spend
I agree to an extent. I'm not familiar enough with Taycan range to know if they are real-world close, but you can't roadtrip it as easily as Tesla, which I do fairly regularly.

Neither MS nor Taycan have "tons of interior space" but the Taycan is a cave. It's the Miata interior of the two. MS on the factory 19's wins ride comfort and NVH all day long, so not sure where you're coming from there.

But completely agree on Taycan pricing - it's pretty ridiculous if you want a new vehicle, though the comparison has been made more obvious by MS price reductions.

Couldn't agree more. Don't buy Tesla MS as your sports car and then be disappointed when it's not. MS is a fabulous daily driver and grand tourer. MHO, this is where the Taycan fails. It's tiny interior, poor range, incapable CCS charging, and less useful rear cargo area make it less than MS as a daily. Plus the software capabilities suck compared to Tesla. And BTW, it's pricing is silly. And then have a great sports car, which the Taycan really isn't either.
Right on. Use the right tool for the job. Plaid is a great daily driver, fast in a straight line, comfortable, practical, etc but it isn't a sports car and at close to 5,000 lbs doesn't pretend to be. If budget/space allows, get discrete vehicles for their intended purposes. I cannot state how crazy it is to hop out of my McLaren and into my Plaid as far as how incredibly different each is. Just getting into the Plaid feels as though you are sitting in a tank. Switching between those cars, or ones similar, truly put each in perspective.

Right on. Use the right tool for the job. Plaid is a great daily driver, fast in a straight line, comfortable, practical, etc but it isn't a sports car and at close to 5,000 lbs doesn't pretend to be. If budget/space allows, get discrete vehicles for their intended purposes. I cannot state how crazy it is to hop out of my McLaren and into my Plaid as far as how incredibly different each is. Just getting into the Plaid feels as though you are sitting in a tank. Switching between those cars, or ones similar, truly put each in perspective.
You had me at McLaren, wow!

Reactions: Yelobird
You had me at McLaren, wow!
3374 (1).jpg

345639542_1244713052819400_3745249909812217697_n (4).jpg
346066510_6106087186093348_3082180844356107166_n (3).jpg

Heck yeah. I won't clutter up the thread too much but can't resist. I am completely biased but, for me, it is heads and shoulders above everything else in its segment. With mods it matches my Plaid from a roll. And finally, it has been more reliable than my Plaid. That is probably more of a diss on Tesla than it is a positive for McLaren if you know anything about McLaren's reputation compared to Ferrari/Lamborghini.