Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sad about Plaid? Attention past or present Porsche 911 Owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the original price, it looked hella scammy - but I also don't blame tesla for capturing the "Dealer markup" profits for itself. Go for it if you can get it!
I have mixed opinions as a consumer. Yeah Tesla is a publicly traded company and has a fiduciary duty to the share holders etc. But as a consumer, one of the advantages to Tesla’s model was not having to deal with the scummy dealer tactics. But they’ve proven that’s not really the case.

Reactions: Richbot
I have a biased opinion because I bought my X when it was $80k base in fall of 2020 and not $800k base or whatever the hell it was in 2022 lol

and now I can say I have the only vehicle that has both been used to transport astronauts to the launchpad AND named after the re-animated corpse of a social media company, which has to be worth something

I own both the 23 S Plaid and a manual 997 C2S. Different cars with different purpose. Porsche for the handling and Plaid for the thrill of the speed.
Hi there, I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if you considered what other EV's you considered when you got your Plaid? Did you consider a Lucid at all / what are your thoughts on the Plaid vs Lucid?

Reactions: easyev
Hi there, I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if you considered what other EV's you considered when you got your Plaid? Did you consider a Lucid at all / what are your thoughts on the Plaid vs Lucid?
Hey not a problem always nice to chat about cars. The only other car I considered was the Porsche Taycan 4S and Turbo/Turbo S. I had a couple of loaners and a friend with one. I installed a 1450 outlet in the garage so I could try the charging out, and just have a spare outlet for other EVs that might want to charge.

It’s funny, but my favourite of all three models was a frozen gray 4s with some really nice options, probably to show off the car to prospective buyers.

I really liked the Porsche electric sound, was nice when it approached people in a parking lot, etc it didn’t startle them like the Tesla does. The dash was really nice, albeit a little confusing to use. The Burmester sound was incredible! The metal drive mode knob was 911 like, and the steering feel was really good. Brakes felt so good!

Porsches endless options were really frustrating to me after owning a Model S. I couldn’t believe I had to pay for an extra rear seat cushion and belt, or parking assist, premium stereo and things like that, but it really drove beautifully and it turned a lot of heads.

When I decided I wanted that ‘21 demo, the sales rep was busy that day, and was off work the following day. It’s sold the day after!

That was enough for me to give up on the Taycan and go back to what I knew, the Model S. My wife was a little sad as she loved that Porsche, but agreed another model S was a good choice.

Sorry, I don’t have any opinions on the Lucid. I don’t know what it is about that car I just don’t feel anything for it. I think it’s the looks, it’s nice, but just doesn’t do it for me.

So that’s about it. I love my Plaid but kind of regret not getting the Porsche, esp after getting my wife a Y. The y drives so well I’d be happy enough with that to get/keep my Tesla fix. It’s no Plaid but many days I’d trade all that speed for the Porsche experience.

Reactions: jebinc
I considered the Air GT for a short while. Spent some time in my friend's GT Performance, which actually has a luxurious interior compared to the S. That and the cavernous auto frunk was nice, but I couldn't get past the lack of proper charging infrastructure, subpar software, and terrible trunk design/opening. Can't wait to see how the Gravity turns out though.

I loved the way Taycan drove and hated getting in and out of it, and I'm not very big. If you can origami yourself in and out of one, they're a great option IMO as is the Etron GT now that used ones are semi-reasonable.

Even the Etron SUV/Q8Etron is a great package, so long as you don't need a ton of range, again they're a great value used They charge pretty fast, despite 400vnominal packs, sorta like lightning they don't have a high peak but hold their peak for a long time

Seriously I have no idea how they made a car the size of an E-class with a door opening the size of a cozy coupe

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: dn325ci and easyev
I considered the Air GT for a short while. Spent some time in my friend's GT Performance, which actually has a luxurious interior compared to the S. That and the cavernous auto frunk was nice, but I couldn't get past the lack of proper charging infrastructure, subpar software, and terrible trunk design/opening. Can't wait to see how the Gravity turns out though.
"9KW Panels + 3x Tesla Powerwall 2" 😍

Following this with interest because I’m planning on cross shopping an MSP with a 991.1 Turbo/Turbo S as my next car. Just bought an MYP as my first EV and am loving the driving dynamics and speed but tbh I’m kind of a showy guy when it comes to vehicles and I wish the MSP had a little more visual punch. Never owned a P-car but cross shopped CPO Cayenne e-Hybrids with the MYP and was very impressed.

Following this with interest because I’m planning on cross shopping an MSP with a 991.1 Turbo/Turbo S as my next car. Just bought an MYP as my first EV and am loving the driving dynamics and speed but tbh I’m kind of a showy guy when it comes to vehicles and I wish the MSP had a little more visual punch. Never owned a P-car but cross shopped CPO Cayenne e-Hybrids with the MYP and was very impressed.
We have an MYP as well, and it's such a brilliant car, aside from the overly harsh ride on poor roads. The size/format and the driving dynamics are really great. Super fun. The M3P is also great fun, but the Y's interior feels much more spacious, though they have the same wheelbase. Awaiting an MSP.

Reactions: Thirteen20WRX
This forum loves their anonyms! MSP = Model S Performance, or Model S Plaid? Both great cars, just curious as the Plaid performance is on another level.

This forum loves their anonyms! MSP = Model S Performance, or Model S Plaid? Both great cars, just curious as the Plaid performance is on another level.
Funny thing is internally they still seem to call it the model S performance. If you look at the EPC entries for example, all of the plaid-specific parts are noted as "performance"

Sorry. Plaid. Part of the appeal would be having a 9 second factory stock car haha
Not at all, just curious which animal we were referring to. A Taycan guy called the Plaid acceleration a "party trick", that you'll use it a few times and that's that. Maybe he's right? I was out yesterday and literally scared myself when I stomped on it on the highway. It's ridiculous how fast the car accelerates and how hard it pulls, it's really something you need to experience to believe. That said, I too was looking at a 2018 911 4S Cab and a few Taycans. I bought the Plaid with confidence I made the right choice, but it's mostly been sitting in the garage. Could it be the lack of snows? Yes, it could, but we haven't been getting much snow. My wife wishes we bought the Taycan 4S with some nice options, and it was the same price as my Plaid at the time. Or $20k more for the 911 4S cab. I don't buy that "the car has no soul" nonsense, but sometimes I'm wondering if I made the right choice. Lots of ppl want to see the car "go" though, it's not like driving around the 2015 P85DL+, even though that was almost as fast as the Taycan Turbo S. She felt like a movie star in the Porsche, whereas the Tesla is more commonplace. Yes I know it's a Plaid but she doesn't like the speed, but she loved the interior of the Porsche, ANY of them!

Not at all, just curious which animal we were referring to. A Taycan guy called the Plaid acceleration a "party trick", that you'll use it a few times and that's that. Maybe he's right? I was out yesterday and literally scared myself when I stomped on it on the highway. It's ridiculous how fast the car accelerates and how hard it pulls, it's really something you need to experience to believe. That said, I too was looking at a 2018 911 4S Cab and a few Taycans. I bought the Plaid with confidence I made the right choice, but it's mostly been sitting in the garage. Could it be the lack of snows? Yes, it could, but we haven't been getting much snow. My wife wishes we bought the Taycan 4S with some nice options, and it was the same price as my Plaid at the time. Or $20k more for the 911 4S cab. I don't buy that "the car has no soul" nonsense, but sometimes I'm wondering if I made the right choice. Lots of ppl want to see the car "go" though, it's not like driving around the 2015 P85DL+, even though that was almost as fast as the Taycan Turbo S. She felt like a movie star in the Porsche, whereas the Tesla is more commonplace. Yes I know it's a Plaid but she doesn't like the speed, but she loved the interior of the Porsche, ANY of them!

Maybe you just have too many cars. Which one would you keep if you had to let go of excess cars?

Maybe you just have too many cars. Which one would you keep if you had to let go of excess cars?
Very insightful. Every once in a while and message like this comes along, thank you for this.

The car I sold, my 2015 P85DL+. What a great car.

IMG_6994.jpeg

But honestly, my wife’s MYLR w/Ludicrous would be it for me, and air suspension or just a bit more luxury. I don’t like the stalks on her car, I’m one of the few that really likes the on-screen shifting of my MS Plaid. The explosive acceleration in instantaneous response is what draws me in, the size of the vehicle is a bit much at times.

I just drove an M3 Highland yesterday and wow was that a lot of fun! I can only imagine a better-than-current Performance model of that 3. I don’t want to say 911 killer but, it crosses my mind. Could you imagine a model 3 with the 681 hp of the old S? Now, I know, we’re talking!

I know! Very excited about this. Minor disappointment about the interior wishing they would ditch that console screen and put phone chargers there. Is that a non-car guy thing to say?! Tucking my phone away under the centre armrest (I don’t think it ever charged) and having a cord for my wife’s just doesn’t seem right. Porsche pls add one pedal driving option. I didn’t really notice it missing, and the region is much on the new one so maybe not a big deal.

I was looking at this “old” model yesterday. Nothing wrong with the current taycans, and wow did they ever charge fast. I was really shocked how quick my loaner topped up on DC. I’ve got a pic somewhere in my phone on how quick that thing charged. What was impressive was it went from ~80% to ~100% in no time. Actually here it is.

IMG_3947.jpeg

Does the refresh model unlock some great deals on the current one? This was the frozen blue I saw.

IMG_1968.jpeg