Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sad about Plaid? Attention past or present Porsche 911 Owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Everybody" changes when pricing changes. I would not have bought one at prior pricing, but I had said on this forum if the price drops below 100K I'd order, which I did. Lower price points opens up another segment of buyers, who for various reasons did not consider a purchase at the higher price point.
Exactly. In no world would I have considered one at the original MSRP $120k, let alone the peak at $135k. But at $90k it's a much more compelling package. Making the colors free was icing on the cake.

Reintroduction of the steering wheel also helped. I think even at $90k, I wouldn't have bought if my only option was the yolk

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc and easyev
Got to this thread a little late.

Physics is physics. 3,500 lbs, 40/60 weight distribution, ~300 horsepower, 0 to 60 in 4.9. That is either a mid 90's 993 Carrera S or a 2019 Model 3 SR+

No, the Tesla has nothing like the 993's steering feel or engine noises. It does have autopilot, instant torque, and most importantly ** about the same weight, weight distribution and power.**

What many in the Tesla performance community (if such a thing exists) are missing is WEIGHT matters. All rear wheel drive cars steer and handle better than all wheel drive cars. Having a more pure helm and perfectly variable torque output allow me to balance the Model 3 SR+ (the old one with the lighter battery pack) into lift throttle oversteer and the true fun of what ripping a 911 is all about on the right road.

Really, try the cheap one :cool:
Wise words. It’s what my neighbour did. He bought an 08 or 09 on bring a trailer for US53K. A grey 911 4s Carrera. Manual. He said he’ll take me out for a ride and I’ve asked him a couple of times but he’s not getting back to me. I hope he’s not annoyed at my blue plaid. They are completely different machines and if I had a 911 in the garage, I’d probably be slipping out in that to get away from things for a bit!

Exactly. In no world would I have considered one at the original MSRP $120k, let alone the peak at $135k. But at $90k it's a much more compelling package. Making the colors free was icing on the cake.

Reintroduction of the steering wheel also helped. I think even at $90k, I wouldn't have bought if my only option was the yolk
What bothers me is in my original post. Should I have gotten a 2017 911 Cab 4s for another 20,000? I was already in over my head. What’s another 20 K?!

Now things have slowed down at work and I’m questioning my Plaid purchase. If I’m lucky I would only lose 25,000 on my used 22 with 500k, but that’s probably optimistic.

My wife’s model Y is pretty peppy and fun to drive. The ferocious acceleration of my P85DL+ that thing was neck snapping. It would chirp all four wheels! The MYP a little quicker, but doesn’t feel anything like rhe MSLR or P. Still, it’s fast enough. I definitely could’ve “gotten by” (sorry) with the MYP and an older 911. 😐
Now I feel stuck. I would take a bath on selling her YLR and getting the P and trying to move out my car for the 911 when I’m already in debt doesn’t seem like a good move. A lot of my car purchases have not been good moves but at least I’ve been having fun!

Reactions: jebinc
A plaid and 911 are such different cars that I wouldn’t really cross shop them. I still plan to ultimately get a 911 some day. My plaid was a replacement daily driver for my model 3.

If your plan is to have a fun car for weekend use, imo the plaid is the wrong car for that. I still have my old E46 M3 for when I want to whip around a lightish car around the twisties. Despite having a 3rd of the horsepower as the plaid, it still puts a smile on my face to be nailing 8k rpm shifts and dancing through corners.

Reactions: SQ97 and easyev
A plaid and 911 are such different cars that I wouldn’t really cross shop them. I still plan to ultimately get a 911 some day. My plaid was a replacement daily driver for my model 3.

If your plan is to have a fun car for weekend use, imo the plaid is the wrong car for that. I still have my old E46 M3 for when I want to whip around a lightish car around the twisties. Despite having a 3rd of the horsepower as the plaid, it still puts a smile on my face to be nailing 8k rpm shifts and dancing through corners.
I'm considering getting a Porsche too, but the plan keeps changing! My wife has her eyes on a 911 EV; she's not keen on another gas car and loves the idea of going (staying?) all-electric. We both really liked the look and feel of the Taycan – it turned heads wherever we went. While it's nice to fly under the radar, especially when you're pushing the speed a bit, there's also something enjoyable about getting attention and savoring the sights and sounds of a Porsche.

The phrase "I never cross-shopped the 911 and Plaid" is pretty common here, but I did check out both options. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the Plaid, but you know the saying, "you don't know what you don't know." After eight years of knowing and loving everything about the Model S, it felt like a natural step to go for the Plaid. Now that I have it, I can't help but wonder how a 911 would feel on the weekends with my wife.

We recently took a road trip from Toronto to Rhode Island, and the Plaid, packed to the brim, including the frunk, made it an amazing experience! That might not have been as doable with a 911. While we could have taken her Model Y and maybe made a few more charging stops, the thought of cruising in a 911 on the weekends is intriguing.

Side: I got very close to rated range of 192Wh/Km, check out Trip A! Very happy with this car's efficiency! cruising in chill mode, above 8 degrees celcius nets rated range with me driving and better than rated range when my wife's behind the yoke!

Plaid.JPEG

For us Tesla guys we would definitely choose the Porsche for the experience. My wife would 100% choose the Porsche.she said we should haha gotten the Taycan but she does like the MSP.

It’s funny my coworker talks about which car hewould rather go for a long drive in and he always says the Tesla. He doesn’t own a Tesla and I don’t think he’s ever going to buy one, I think he’s just saying that to make me feel good. :)

Those two cars are the best in their class, what a joy it must be to choose one or the other! Kids seem to have a Tesla bias and they may choose it. Older folks choose the Porsche for its baller status! Sorry probably not the best word but I read it somewhere comparing the Taycan Vs the Model S and thought it was accurate!

Congratulations on your dream car garage, that’s quite an achievement!

I don’t hazard I guess on the year of your 911 all I (think!) I know is it’s at least a 2019-2023, those slim tail lights look amazing!

Yeah my dream car is a GT3, but with the prices those things go for these days, I think that's out of the cards. I could see myself going for a 911 GTS in a few years down the line.
Oh yes, the 911 GTS, what a car.

I read in a review the GT3's sounds match it's speed, the 911 Turbo is muted. I'd take the "muted" version, not a problem at all! I'm a no bs guy and love awd and the extra power. On the other hand, having both the GT3 and Turbo S would be great!

Funny- Whenever I ask someone, which car should we take? %100 of the time they say-The Porsche. But I do love the Model S Plaid. Each one has wonderful things I like better than the other.

View attachment 997800

I'm currently in the process of arranging my garage. Your garage looks fantastic, well-organized, and clean—great job! I was thinking about suggesting a modification, specifically removing the cabinets next to the 911 and perhaps utilizing the back wall with a Proslat system. Please excuse my unsolicited opinions; it's a habit, and my wife constantly reminds me to stop!

By the way, that Porsche's rear end is truly mesmerizing—I could admire it all day without getting tired! 😍

My goal is to have a garage filled with cars like that. I'm halfway there!

• Funny
Reactions: Yelobird and jebinc
Plaid is coming up on 3 years old. - circa 40% depreciation in 3 years and ~30,000 miles of driving for an American luxury car that isn't some sort of super-bespoke limited edition, and Plaid definitely is not that, used to be pretty standard. This isn't just EV's either, all the fancy stuff is depreciating again. This is the way of the world, covid hysteresis is about done settling out and we are going back to normal. It just feels abnormal for Tesla because there was scarcity for a while, and a lack of competition, but that's over. Non-special-edition Porsches have never been immune to depreciation either, especially non-911 Porsches. You can get a hell of a lot of CPO Cayennes right now for 50% off MSRP. Tesla has no 911 equivalent yet (it doesn't have to be a sports car to be this, but they haven't done one yet). Even the mighty 911 Turbo S usually bottoms out around 50-60% off MSRP after a decade or so, and that's typicall with very low miles because fun weekend car

Now the only thing supporting EV prices, other than dorks like us who want something more interesting by default, is whether a given car is $xx,xxx better than just buying a new Model 3/Y, which is already an excellent vehicle to cover like 90% of the vehicle-needs area under the curve.

Last edited:
Reactions: bkcyk
What makes you consider a Plaid "standard"? 😃 Have you personally owned or driven one? I'm just curious about your perspective.

Also, what cars do you own or drive? I'm interested in understanding your point of view.

The prices of 911s have seen a slight decrease, but Plaid values mainly dropped due to Tesla's price adjustments.

In Toronto, CA Tesla is moving 80-150 cars per dealer doing customer deliveries. That’s a pretty crazy volume and I would agree not bespoke and more cookie-cutter!

Plaid is coming up on 3 years old. - circa 40% depreciation in 3 years and ~30,000 miles of driving for an American luxury car that isn't some sort of super-bespoke limited edition, and Plaid definitely is not that, used to be pretty standard. This isn't just EV's either, all the fancy stuff is depreciating again. This is the way of the world, covid hysteresis is about done settling out and we are going back to normal. It just feels abnormal for Tesla because there was scarcity for a while, and a lack of competition, but that's over. Non-special-edition Porsches have never been immune to depreciation either, especially non-911 Porsches. You can get a hell of a lot of CPO Cayennes right now for 50% off MSRP. Tesla has no 911 equivalent yet (it doesn't have to be a sports car to be this, but they haven't done one yet).

Now the only thing supporting EV prices, other than dorks like us who want something more interesting by default, is whether a given car is $xx,xxx better than just buying a new Model 3/Y, which is already an excellent vehicle to cover like 90% of the vehicle-needs area under the curve.

I'm OK with erasing the Covid years including automotive vehicle values. It was a bubble and we're now back to the norm. Cars get used, some worse than others. Cars are consumables. EVs are a tech tour de force.

I covet a factory Turbo S kitted '98 stick shift 993 Carrera S. I want NOTHING to do with a pre-2023 Model S Plaid. I'll continue to get the latest greatest EV just like I do with my phones.

So there is no such thing as a Mezger electrical drive unit. The inevitable innovation path EVs march toward isn't going from a six speed manual to a PDK-S. It's to eliminate the feeble human pilot out of the equation and someday it may well be illegal to have personal vehicles to drive and enjoy.

So just have a blast with what you have today. The MSP is a siq, siq car.

What makes you consider a Plaid "standard"? 😃 Have you personally owned or driven one? I'm just curious about your perspective.

Also, what cars do you own or drive? I'm interested in understanding your point of view.

The prices of 911s have seen a slight decrease, but Plaid values mainly dropped due to Tesla's price adjustments.

In Toronto, CA Tesla is moving 80-150 cars per dealer doing customer deliveries. That’s a pretty crazy volume and I would agree not bespoke and more cookie-cutter!
I own a plaid, but I'd say it’s a fair assessment. Compared to the LR, the only thing you’re getting is that third motor. Suspension, brakes, body kit, interior, wheels are otherwise identical. It’s not like an M-car or AMG which gets a ton of tweaks compared to the pedestrian models.

At the current price difference I think that’s acceptable. But at the original $40k difference, that kinda sucked.

I own a plaid, but I'd say it’s a fair assessment. Compared to the LR, the only thing you’re getting is that third motor. Suspension, brakes, body kit, interior, wheels are otherwise identical. It’s not like an M-car or AMG which gets a ton of tweaks compared to the pedestrian models.

At the current price difference I think that’s acceptable. But at the original $40k difference, that kinda sucked.
At the original price, it looked hella scammy - but I also don't blame tesla for capturing the "Dealer markup" profits for itself. Go for it if you can get it!

And that's coming from somebody who recognizes how nuts it is that the *slow* version of the Model S runs 10.9's in the 1/4 and would have cleaned up at Racewarz 1/4 mile at a time. We live in such a weird timeline. Nothing is stronger than family, unless it's plaid

Too bad the base cars don't get the attention from the chassis devlopment teams to all get track mode. If I have a non-buttons-and-stalks and half-baked quality-related complaint about Tesla, that's it. The slowest cars can be the most fun track cars

Reactions: SQ97