Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners who have had wraps done, question re non refundable deposits.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a question for community members since a colored PPF installer here asked me to ask community members.
I had a Model X on order in Oct with no firm date and changed from Nov-Dec to Jan-Feb.
Back when I placed order, I was considering colored PPF. There’s a vendor who seems popular with one of the Socal clubs so I inquired.
They said in order to lock in a future date for install, I would need to put down a 50% deposit of $1800 which I did. Initially they offered date end of Nov for install But given no firm date, I told installer don’t pencil me for any dates till I get a VIn.

My car came early this week. I got the grey which was changed to stealth grey. After seeing decided to skip the colored wrap.

When I messaged to cancel (even though no product ordered, no date set b/c I didn’t know when I would get my car), they said it was non refundable and that this is
“industry standard”. I looked on their website and there’s no policy about this. In our messages, they said 50% deposit needed but didn’t mention non refundable. I also didn’t sign anything that said it was non refundable.

Is this standard practice? From my viewpoint, I”m not in the industry, never had colored PPF installed so how am I supposed to know this.

One data point. When I got a Model 3 wrapped in 2020, I was asked for no deposit. I set up an appointment, dropped off the car for a couple of days and they did the work. I paid at the end.

In 2022 I got a Model S wrapped at the same place and they asked for 10% non-refundable up front to schedule an appointment. I took the car, they did the work and then I paid the remaining 90% at the end. They told me they started asking for non-refundable deposits since their schedule was starting to get unpredictable with people canceling at the last minute. 10% seemed reasonable and worse came to worse they did tell me that if I canceled I could apply that 10% deposit to any of the shop's services such as tinting, detailing, etc.

Have a question for community members since a colored PPF installer here asked me to ask community members.
I had a Model X on order in Oct with no firm date and changed from Nov-Dec to Jan-Feb.
Back when I placed order, I was considering colored PPF. There’s a vendor who seems popular with one of the Socal clubs so I inquired.
They said in order to lock in a future date for install, I would need to put down a 50% deposit of $1800 which I did. Initially they offered date end of Nov for install But given no firm date, I told installer don’t pencil me for any dates till I get a VIn.

My car came early this week. I got the grey which was changed to stealth grey. After seeing decided to skip the colored wrap.

When I messaged to cancel (even though no product ordered, no date set b/c I didn’t know when I would get my car), they said it was non refundable and that this is
“industry standard”. I looked on their website and there’s no policy about this. In our messages, they said 50% deposit needed but didn’t mention non refundable. I also didn’t sign anything that said it was non refundable.

Is this standard practice? From my viewpoint, I”m not in the industry, never had colored PPF installed so how am I supposed to know this.

You should get familiar with your rights as a consumer and know the rules the shop is supposed to follow. You can find information on both at the California Bureau of Automotive Repair, and if needed, file a complaint.
If your invoice does not mention the deposit is non refundable then you are entitled to all of your money back.
If you paid by credit card file a dispute.

Thanks for the advice. So the owner did refund my deposit. He also said from now on, they will ask customers to sign an agreement non refundable deposit spelled out specifically vs just assumption. Also they are going to add a policy page to their website with these terms.

I understand his point that a customer may select a color, have the film ordered, make an appt, cancel and leaving him stuck.
However I never had the film ordered nor had a set appt date/time. I even told him let’s just leave the date open till my car comes in so I didn’t understand how my deposit would go towards any “lost opportunity or materials”. Anyways, they’re a small family business used by various SoCal Tesla clubs so I dont want to call them out further and wish them the best. I believe they do good work and I think they understand now that not every customer is part of the “customization“ crowd and should know that deposits are non refundable.

Hey all - coming from a shop owner, I also request a 50% non-refundable deposit on all services over $1000. The main reason is to gauge commitment. If you're wishy washy about half, I'm nervous about you showing up. Lesser services I only request deposits if you've flaked on me.

To help with perspective: colored PPF, and full matte PPF are all rolls that cost in excess of $1500 and often over $2k. Then it takes the better part of a work week to install. If we collect nothing and you change your mind, or go elsewhere we are out the material, and standing around that week when you don't show up. I offer my customers the scheduling week of their choice once I secure a deposit.

Also, think about it the other way; you drop your car off, I promise it in a week, and 3 weeks later it's done. You'd be livid! You'd be out of a car, renting a car, etc. It's mutually respectful to both respect each others time and costs. I stay on track when my customers stay on track. I send reminders beforehand, instructions, etc etc.

$3600 sounds more like a wrap than PPF, but if that owner never ordered anything, it's odd he wouldn't just refund you. If the material was ordered and you were well aware, it would be fair to cover the material you approved him ordering. At the end of the day, I wont risk backlash over a roll of wrap or something, but I am also VERY clear about the deposits and them not being refundable. Also when we are SUPER slammed, I start cutting my PPF for the next car so my installers can remain installing while I support them. So it's also likely your vehicle has been cut and now is no good to anyone else.

Hope this helps with perspective, and feel free to ask questions, respond or give me feedback as well! We stay darned busy... so scheduling hiccups can be quite a PITA for those already in process. Appreciate all you guys and gals!

One data point. When I got a Model 3 wrapped in 2020, I was asked for no deposit. I set up an appointment, dropped off the car for a couple of days and they did the work. I paid at the end.

In 2022 I got a Model S wrapped at the same place and they asked for 10% non-refundable up front to schedule an appointment. I took the car, they did the work and then I paid the remaining 90% at the end. They told me they started asking for non-refundable deposits since their schedule was starting to get unpredictable with people canceling at the last minute. 10% seemed reasonable and worse came to worse they did tell me that if I canceled I could apply that 10% deposit to any of the shop's services such as tinting, detailing, etc.
10% seems fair, 50% does not

Reactions: 1100MCM
10% seems fair, 50% does not

10% doesn't cover material, 50% does. Also covers my free consultation, samples, and all the time I spend with each customer. IF some one has a legitimate reason to back out, they receive a refund, less material, so the actual % is irrelevant because I wouldn't keep more than I was owed.

Understand, too... if I booked everyone who said they were 100% without collecting any money, about 80% would not show up. If you're ready to wrap or PPF, you have the money anyway. Full disclosure, I've NEVER lost a customer over requesting a deposit. Also, if some one asked for a reduced deposit, I'd likely be fine with it. But no one minds. They pay and book.

Reactions: Mum Sports
What do you do with the material that they paid for in that case? Do you give it to them? Or do you sell it to another customer down the line and increase your profits?

Great question, I should have been more clear. I ALWAYS try to do what's best for the customer. They can take it with them, or I can push/post a sale on it to help move it. I had an AMG that got in an accident and the owner was freaking out about losing his deposit, wrap, etc... I just told him not to worry, fix the car, go from there. Less than 6 months later he was repaired, wrapped, and back to winning Best Euro everywhere! LOL.

As I said, I'm not looking for anything for free, life happens in both directions. I try to be as transparent as possible and get to a mutually agreeable situation. Honestly, it takes less than one hand to count the times some one has flaked on a wrap, but I attribute that to transparency and honesty and people really being juiced about getting work done!

Reactions: Mum Sports