Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience taking Tesla to court about FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most people in the U.K. only keep their cars for 4 years....
Most Rich people in the UK only keep their cars for 4 years... Our Tesla is 7 years old now, most of our neighbours have cars 10 years+ old. Car forums tend to have people who can afford to change their cars much more frequent than normal people :).

I actually would be more inclined to think that most rich people tend to not spend vast sums of money on depreciating assets and probably drive older cars.

The obscenely rich (I'd say net work over 100million) excluded, of course.

The two richest people I know drive a base spec VW Polo and a 15 year old Fiesta, perhaps that’s why they are rich, they don’t waste money on new cars every 4 years :).

Last edited:
Aye mate, because you’ve got a super expensive extension happening, otherwise you’d be splurging out on a new car.

Technically we haven’t extended anything, in fact the actually footprint of the house has reduced by 5sq meters!! :p

But regardless of that, no way could we afford to change to new cars every 4 years. Wife’s Lexus is now 9 years old and going strong, a tiny part of me wonders if I should have just got the RX instead of the X. I love the X, but I just cannot see it still running well come 2030, when I know the Lexus will still essentially work the same. But life is for learning, either way no new cars for us for another 5-6 years at the earliest, a new car every 4 years is a pipe dream!

Most Rich people in the UK only keep their cars for 4 years... Our Tesla is 7 years old now, most of our neighbours have cars 10 years+ old. Car forums tend to have people who can afford to change their cars much more frequent than normal people :).

It’s got nothing to do with being rich and you are responding to something that wasn’t written. I politely invite you to re-read my post :).

Also that link makes no reference to how long people actually own their cars for on average. A car may be 13 years old on average when it’s scrapped but it’s probably been owned by 3 or 4 people in that time.

This data is getting on a bit now but it’s from the RAC, see section 4.0 which sets out that people tend to keep (new or used) cars for only 4 years before selling them on or scrapping them:

PS. Very few people are actually paying cash for new cars, they rent them on some sort of finance deal be that a lease (inc. company cars) or PCP.

This data is getting on a bit now but it’s from the RAC, see section 4.0 which sets out that people tend to keep (new or used) cars for only 4 years before selling them on or scrapping them:

You must be reading the paper differently it clearly says

‘In the first nine years of the vehicle’s life, the only scrappage that occurs results from write-off accidents. Thereafter there is a steady increase in scrappage till a peak is reached at around 14 years.’

The implication is therefore MOST people DON’T swap new cars every 4 years, if you have the means to do it great, but you are living in a very fortune position. Go for a drive today and see how many cars under 4 years old are on the road versus cars over 10 years old. You cannot seriously think people are scrapping cars after 4 years??? If EVs cannot last 15-20 years as a functional way of getting from A to B, and needs ‘scrapping’ after 4 years it makes a mockery of any ‘green’ credentials EVs ever had, in fact they would make diesels look the cars of choice for Greenpeace :)

You must be reading the paper differently it clearly says

‘In the first nine years of the vehicle’s life, the only scrappage that occurs results from write-off accidents. Thereafter there is a steady increase in scrappage till a peak is reached at around 14 years.’

The implication is therefore MOST people DON’T swap new cars every 4 years, if you have the means to do it great, but you are living in a very fortune position. Go for a drive today and see how many cars under 4 years old are on the road versus cars over 10 years old. You cannot seriously think people are scrapping cars after 4 years??? If EVs cannot last 15-20 years as a functional way of getting from A to B, and needs ‘scrapping’ after 4 years it makes a mockery of any ‘green’ credentials EVs ever had, in fact they would make diesels look the cars of choice for Greenpeace :)
I’m not talking about scrappage, I’m talking about the general market churn and the report clearly states that people tend to keep cars for around 4 years (new and used). The section on ownership is below the section on scrappage.

It is set out in section 4 as previously stated, the reference to new cars is in the middle of page 11 (figure 12) and used cars is at the bottom of page 11 (figure 13).

It states, most new cars are traded within 4 years, very few are still owned by their original owners after 7 year.

It also sets out that the number of used car sales is 3X that of new sales and therefore you can surmise that cars typically have 4 owners by the time they are scrapped at year 16. Ergo, people on average own a car for 4 years.

It’s an average of an average but it’s reasonable when you think about it. Just look at the used market, it’s normal for a car at the bottom end of the market to be on its 4th or more owner.

Most new cars are on 3 year PCP finance or leased and the latter is always traded at the end of the term and the former is mostly traded in for a new one rather than paying the ballon payment.

#wayofftopic…

Hi, I wonder if someone can answer a couple of questions I have. I have tried to go through all the posts but may have missed it.

1) I purchased in November 2020, it looks like most on this thread purchased in 2019 when the website said coming end of 2020. It looks like the website was updated to “coming soon” when I purchased? Is there still a chance of a valid claim?
2) I bought the car with financing from Tesla financing services. From what I can tell I should ask for the refund from them rather than Tesla directly? I can also include Tesla as a third party in the claims though?

2) I bought the car with financing from Tesla financing services. From what I can tell I should ask for the refund from them rather than Tesla directly? I can also include Tesla as a third party in the claims though?

Section 75 of Consumer Credit Act says that the finance company is equally liable and is an additional protection.

So I would go both routes.

Contrary to my recollection, I just discovered that I paid for FSD on my credit card
My initial thoughts are to go down the route of section 75 to downgrade from FSD to EAP without the hassle of small claims court

Is this a viable route?

Contrary to my recollection, I just discovered that I paid for FSD on my credit card
My initial thoughts are to go down the route of section 75 to downgrade from FSD to EAP without the hassle of small claims court

Is this a viable route?
May be not directly relevant, but I just did a section 75 on something unrelated, and found that there is no firm timescale for a response or resolution. Ombudsman had to get involved, but even they were not clear about timescales.

I am the worst type of litigator to take on. I am not a lawyer, but deal with them quite often in my day job so I know enough to put in a small claims action with confidence. The money wasn't important to me, I felt they'd conned me and I wanted them to do the right thing and put it right.

And such a principled stance is something that mercenary solicitors and barristers cannot understand or tolerate.

I took a similar stance in litigation against Porsche several years ago over alleged emissions cheating devices (before the VW cscandal was exposed) and I refused to sign any NDA. Porsche eventually paid me 36k plus expenses in an open settlement but dragged the case out for as long as possible with the help of my own legal team.

I did use solicitors for part of the litigation but they added no value whatsoever while being constantly obstructive churning fees on futile negotiations. I learnt a lot about the ethics and dishonesty of the legal profession during this time. Litigant in person is far more productive and cheaper.