Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - Who is ordering P100DL?

Who is ordering P100DL (either Model S or X)?

• Yup, definitely ordering one.

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • Seriously considering

Votes: 24 9.4%
  • Not sure/ neutral

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • No, I will wait for the non-performance 100D instead

Votes: 69 27.1%
  • No, I will save my money for Model 3 Ludicrous

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • No, definitely not! Total waste of money

Votes: 64 25.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There will always be something better around the corner.

Right, and there are two flavors of this: the occasional must-have killer feature, and the steady accumulation of smaller improvements. For me it was the latter. I currently have a 2014 P85. The P85D that came out six months later was tempting, but not enough of a delta to justify the cost of doing a trade-in. Then came Autopilot 1.0, for which mine doesn't have the hardware. Then P90D. And Ludicrous mode. And better, ventilated seats. Finally along comes the P100D offering 315 miles and 2.5 sec 0-60. That was the last straw. MUST! HAVE!

Right, and there are two flavors of this: the occasional must-have killer feature, and the steady accumulation of smaller improvements. For me it was the latter. I currently have a 2014 P85. The P85D that came out six months later was tempting, but not enough of a delta to justify the cost of doing a trade-in. Then came Autopilot 1.0, for which mine doesn't have the hardware. Then P90D. And Ludicrous mode. And better, ventilated seats. Finally along comes the P100D offering 315 miles and 2.5 sec 0-60. That was the last straw. MUST! HAVE!
Haha, congrats on finally not resisting the temptation. You must have a lot of patience to wait that long to upgrade.

So far there is not a single P100D order logged into the TMC Order Tracking Spreadsheets.... The day after the P85D and P90D announcements there was great activity there.... What does this mean?

Do many of the new folks here on TMC apparently not know about the order tracking spreadsheets?
Has the 2YR lease of P90D inventory cars sucked up all the demand out there?

I know we are a small subset of the total Tesla community, probably less than 10% of the total, but not a single order logged?

Last edited:
So far there is not a single P100D order logged into the TMC Order Tracking Spreadsheets.... The day after the P85D and P90D announcements there was great activity there.... What does this mean?

Do many of the new folks here on TMC apparently not know about the order tracking spreadsheets?

I know we are a small subset of the total Tesla community, probably less than 10% of the total, but not a single order logged?
could it be that the majority of people on TMC are current owners who are satisfied with their current car and do not see the new so improved as to warrant a costly upgrade? If I was a first time buyer I'd be more inclined to consider the new car. for me the increased battery capacity isn't enough of a reason to trade up. I could have already had ludicrous speed but I didn't get it on my current car and in order to get the bigger battery I'd be forced to have the costly L option, something I feel isn't necessary.
to sum up, IMHO this new version just isn't that much of a leap forward like the introduction of the AP was.

Reactions: 1208
I have a P85DL and have speced a P100DL and am debating. With 27,000 miles on mine now the resale is probably as good as it will get, but...I really want the Model 3 hottest version, so I'm torn. I need to decide soon I suppose but I do not feel urgency. Anyway, with new form factor as the next step I am expecting 120 kWh or so next year or so, and maybe I'll just wait. However the extra range would eliminate the two places where I most often must use non-Supercharger options on trips.

This is absolutely a First World Problem!

Reactions: Ormond

I logged my order yesterday, is it not showing up? It's (currently) in the July/Aug/Sept tab, and it shows up on the "New Summary" tab.

Situation rectified. ;-)

Done. I see 3 now.

I logged my order yesterday, is it not showing up? It's (currently) in the July/Aug/Sept tab, and it shows up on the "New Summary" tab.

Congrats! Did you upgrade a P90DL order? I see you confirmed 1 day after ordering...

I have a P85DL and have speced a P100DL and am debating. With 27,000 miles on mine now the resale is probably as good as it will get, but...I really want the Model 3 hottest version, so I'm torn. I need to decide soon I suppose but I do not feel urgency. Anyway, with new form factor as the next step I am expecting 120 kWh or so next year or so, and maybe I'll just wait. However the extra range would eliminate the two places where I most often must use non-Supercharger options on trips.

This is absolutely a First World Problem!
I would be extremely surprised if a 120kWh battery became available in the next two years, I think there's a 50% chance of a 105kWh next year and a less than 15% chance of anything more than that. I think there's a decent chance that Model S/X will not transition to the new 21-70 battery format as doing so will (all other things being equal) reduce the power density of their battery packs.

Haha, congrats on finally not resisting the temptation. You must have a lot of patience to wait that long to upgrade.

I'm trying to learn from experience. I am typing this reply on my 2009 (!) MacBook Pro 17-inch. To be fair though, it wasn't that I didn't want to upgrade, it's that I didn't want to downgrade (to a 15-inch screen). I've finally resigned myself to the fact that the 17-inch models are never coming back, so as soon as the 2016 MacBook Pro refresh comes out (reportedly this fall), I'm in -- even if it doesn't have everything I'm hoping it will (mainly USB-C, Kaby Lake, and better battery life).

Reactions: ggnykk