Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Signature Configuration has begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two questions.

(1) I am a tiny bit surprised there doesn't seem to be a DVD/Blu-ray entertainment system for middle and rear seat passengers, like so many SUVs and Minivans have. It's well-established that Elon hates music, since he offers no decent iPod/etc music integration with the Model S, the way every other car on the planet does. But I'd have figured the X would support some more multimedia stuff, since it's more of a family vehicle. No?

Blu-Ray/DVD systems feel old and antiquated now already. I think they expect any family with the means to purchase a Model X also have the means to purchase personal tablets for each kid. They're going to be selling this generation of Model X for 6-8 years. Blu-Ray and DVD will feel even more out-of-date by then.

From yesterday:

Anyone still holding out hope for the configuration center soon? If it was coming out in the next day or so, I don't think they would have sent that email today.

OK, I guess I called this one a little too soon... :tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

Any into on the 4th row of rear facing seats?Sig X 931

What about the 5th row of forward facing seats in the frunk?

The third row can be folded without affecting the 2nd row seats. You just fold it up and leave it in-place. You also have the secondary option of flipping it forward to create a flat bed. I don't think the 3rd row will fold rearward. The seats in the Model S can do it, but they are kid-sized. Adult-sized 3rd row seats don't seem like they'd fit.

Yeah, I think you're right. There's not much room aft of the 3rd row (unlike a minivan).

Here's that overhead picture for reference:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=92638&d=1441121618

It still doesn't make sense though. Just folding the 3rd seat back down on it's lower part leaves an incredibly awkward loading area.

I am a tiny bit surprised there doesn't seem to be a DVD/Blu-ray entertainment system for middle and rear seat passengers, like so many SUVs and Minivans have. It's well-established that Elon hates music, since he offers no decent iPod/etc music integration with the Model S, the way every other car on the planet does. But I'd have figured the X would support some more multimedia stuff, since it's more of a family vehicle. No?
I'm not surprised -- Likely any passenger in a Model X has access to a tablet or smartphone and will use the media they brought with them. Playing a BluRay of "Frozen" ad infinitum seems so turn of the century.

But I wonder if there's a wifi hotspot onboard that would expand potential entertainment options?

I am a tiny bit surprised there doesn't seem to be a DVD/Blu-ray entertainment system for middle and rear seat passengers, like so many SUVs and Minivans have. It's well-established that Elon hates music, since he offers no decent iPod/etc music integration with the Model S, the way every other car on the planet does. But I'd have figured the X would support some more multimedia stuff, since it's more of a family vehicle. No?

I seem to recall reading something where Elon suggested that with portable devices, tablets, etc., the need for this kind of system was near zero. That could have been a dream, but I certainly agree with the sentiment. I would be disappointed to see something like that in the interior of the vehicle. My opinion of those systems is that they rapidly look dated and promise more than they deliver.

--Edited: Man, this thread is flying. Two posts beat me to it.

Last edited:
Yeah, there won't be much room, but as least as much as your average minivan or SUV, with the 3rd row seats down and the 2nd row in-use.

I still think there's a distinct possibility of those seats going backwards into the space behind the platform aka the "Shopping Bag" space. I spoke with a Tesla employee at one time who mentioned the "magic carpet" third row. A mere forward folding doesn't qualify as magic or carpet.

The available dimension info: overall length: 198", overall width (mirrors extended) 89.4", overall height (doors closed) 66.3", ground clearance 7.2".
Thanks for sharing. So the X is about 3.2" wider than the S and 2 inches longer. Did you see the specs for width with mirrors retracted? We have a super-narrow driveway and 89.4" is actually wider than most full size vans. The "S" slims down by about nine inches in width when the mirrors are folded in so I'm hoping the same is true with the X. I am going to get out the measuring tape when I get home...

-CB

Last edited: