Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X has single 72A charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can play with words however you like, but the fact is going from 20kw charging to anything less is called crippling the charging power. An hour + of extra waiting is kind of a big deal. I don't have dual chargers, so it doesn't matter to me, but the choice would be nice for those who need the fastest charging possible. I don't know too many companies that go backwards in technology development.....

Likely they found they could optimize the existing 40A charger into 60A charging in the same size/aspect ratio as the current unit.

Maybe this is why they dropped 2nd charger for S as a factory option.
To stockpile chargers for X, because each X is getting 2 of them.
(Detuned 10%, mind you, based on heat lessons from the S experience of HPWC).

Who said the form factor is a different size than the S?
(Or for what are stacked up at the Supercharger stations for that matter?)

Betcha the space occupied in X for on-board charging is the same as 2 x model S chargers.

They did a layout to accommodate 2 x chargers, and with the constraints of the new chassis would be "losing the space for no good reason" if left vacant. Hence, decision just to stuff it from the factory with a charger and be done with it. It's factored into the price. Minus 10%, because they're de-rated. :wink:

Last edited:
Here's the quote from the email I got today: "The Signature Model X has a 3rd generation charger onboard, similar to the Dual Charger option, with 72amps. You will be able to use the Wall Connector with the Model X."

Two things jump out. The language leaves open the possibility of a different setup on production Model X and the Signature Model X gets one charger that can operate up to 72A.

Here's the quote from the email I got today: "The Signature Model X has a 3rd generation charger onboard, similar to the Dual Charger option, with 72amps. You will be able to use the Wall Connector with the Model X."
Thank you for posting that. My interpretation is that the X is being produced with a single charger, because "3rd generation charger" is singular.
But then it says "similar to the Dual Charger option", which would imply two chargers.
So really I still don't know if there are one or two chargers in the X, and if there are two, does that mean the Signature cars are all getting two and in the future the base X will only have one?
Puzzling.

Thank you for posting that. My interpretation is that the X is being produced with a single charger, because "3rd generation charger" is singular.
But then it says "similar to the Dual Charger option", which would imply two chargers.
So really I still don't know if there are one or two chargers in the X, and if there are two, does that mean the Signature cars are all getting two and in the future the base X will only have one?
Puzzling.

I don't see what's puzzling. They've upgraded a single charger to a higher current level, one that's closer to 2 of the old chargers. The real question is will a Model S ordered today get the 3rd gen charger.

I don't see what's puzzling. They've upgraded a single charger to a higher current level, one that's closer to 2 of the old chargers. The real question is will a Model S ordered today get the 3rd gen charger.

They may be using up the 40A chargers with current production, but once their stock is depleted they might announce an upgrade for the Model S with the new charger. It makes sense for them to standardize on one charger in the long run. Of all the speculation about what Model X features will show up on the Model S, I think this is one of the best bets.

Ok, so it's an 18kw charger. Superchargers use a stack of 12 regular chargers, right? So in the current setup max is 12x10kw=120kw. If they replace the 12 chargers with these gen3 chargers, it's 12x18kw=216kw (assuming the utility/transformer can handle it on the input side). Is this, in combination with the liquid cooled cables the plan for faster supercharging in the future?

Ok, so it's an 18kw charger. Superchargers use a stack of 12 regular chargers, right? So in the current setup max is 12x10kw=120kw. If they replace the 12 chargers with these gen3 chargers, it's 12x18kw=216kw (assuming the utility/transformer can handle it on the input side). Is this, in combination with the liquid cooled cables the plan for faster supercharging in the future?

They could have just added chargers. If you can have 12 you can have 13. The limitations are likely in the battery pack itself.

I wouldn't be surprised. But as AWDtsla pointed out, for most of the charging cycle the current car is limited by what the battery pack can safely take (or keep cool?) - so adding all that additional capacity wouldn't really help the first current generation car to plug that much.

The place it can really help current generation cars is when the second car plugs in while the first car is still in the fat part of the curve - all that reserve power means you can charge both cars at nearly max rates.

And, of course, it can offer higher rates to future battery pack generations if the cable/connector can safely handle more current.
Walter

While a slot drop from the Model S, 72A is perfectly serviceable. I guess what I can't really understand or accept is that they couldn't find space in the rear of the Model X for it? With years of engineering time? Surely there has to be another reason... Maybe the whole upgrading the SCs with the new 72A packs make sense.