Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X has single 72A charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do we know the same charger is present in all vehicles? Did you check the part number on multiple X's? I'd say it's just as likely that Tesla finally relented and decided they'd be okay with replacing the original charger if you decide to upgrade to a 72A charger. While "72A is only 50% more than 48A" sure seems like the price should scale linearly, so it's not much of a loss for Tesla to just do 72A, that's not always true. Especially on the cutting edge, it's often true that as you get closer to the edge, you're running closer to limitations, and prices can start to scale exponentially. For example, a typical home electrical service panel rated anywhere from 100-200A will cost you $100-200 (materials: Square D Homeline 200 Amp 30 Space 42 Circuit Outdoor Surface Mount Main Breaker Plug-On Neutral CSED-SC3042M200PS - The Home Depot). But to go larger, you have to go to a 400A (there's no such thing as a 300A; you just put smaller breakers in a 400A panel). Which costs ~$700. Square D Homeline 400 Amp 30-Space 40-Circuit Main Breaker Outdoor Combo Surface Mount CSED-SU3040D400CB - The Home Depot.

How do we know the same charger is present in all vehicles? Did you check the part number on multiple X's?

I was told by service techs in California that the charger part # is universal for 48A and 72A options.

I'm well aware of the cost differences between 200A vs. 400A service equipment, and in most cases that's because of the size of the equipment (need room for larger conductors) as well as larger bus bars and terminals.

I was told by service techs in California that the charger part # is universal for 48A and 72A options.

I'm well aware of the cost differences between 200A vs. 400A service equipment, and in most cases that's because of the size of the equipment (need room for larger conductors) as well as larger bus bars and terminals.

Do you know if Tesla will be taking orders for the software upgrade from 48 to 72?

Did you happen to get which part number it is? I think I should go pull off the back seat and see what I have in my Model S.