Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience upgrading from a 75 to a 100 kWh battery at EV's Republic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Preamble
In February I drove from Northern California to Borrego Springs, a tiny desert town with no DC charging stations, in my 2016 Model X 75D. With 204 miles of rated range in my six year old pack when full, the 550+ mile drive was not fun. The return trip was especially bad, because I wanted to visit the Reagan Library in Simi Valley and was on a time crunch to get there with enough hours to tour it before they closed. The day before, I needed to L2 charge for hours in Borrego Springs to have enough juice to make it to the supercharger in Temecula, which was full when I got there, causing me to drive to the other charger in Temecula that my app showed had spaces available, but when I got there it too was full and I had to wait in line for about twenty minutes. I had to make two more charging stops after Temecula, with no time to eat: just grab some electrons and move on to the next charger and then to my destination, two hours before closing time. It was a very long, stressful day, and I resolved to not do that again, unless in an ICE vehicle or with a much larger battery.

Last month, my wife and I decided we will road trip through Oregon this coming summer. With my free supercharging, I wanted to use my X for the trip, but knew the experience would be a repeat of my SoCal trip—lots of charging stops, not necessarily aligned with our desired meal schedules. So I started searching online to see if any companies did battery upgrades, as Tesla won't. I found Jason Hughes' company, 057 Technology, who was offering a 100kWh battery upgrade. I was unable to create an online account to set up the upgrade, and nobody answered the phone when I called them. This thread on TMC showed that 057 Technology had mysteriously closed. I kept looking…

EV's Republic
My searching finally led me to EV's Republic in Rancho Cordova, who are only about a half hour drive from my home, and whose web site showed that they offer battery upgrades! I called and spoke with Micah there, and found out they were offering a 100 kWh battery swap for $24,000 out-the-door, with up to a $3,000 credit for my battery based on its health. I arranged to drive over there to have my battery evaluated and discuss their process. When I arrived, they put my car in service mode and took some readouts of my battery's health. My battery had lost 14% of its original capacity after seven years and 107,000 miles, but was still good enough to get the full credit for the swap. Micah told me they'd likely sell my battery for $11k to someone whose battery was dying and needed an affordable alternative to what Tesla charges to replace a battery.

Micah then showed me a spreadsheet of EV's Republic's inventory of 100kWh batteries. They had about a half dozen. They were all used packs, either pulled from totaled Model X's or working vehicles they bought at auction for parts. The spreadsheet showed various quality metrics, which he explained to me, and whatever other information they had on the original vehicle. The battery I chose was from a 2017 Model X with 40,000 miles on it. Having read Jason's posts on TMC and elsewhere saying that doing module-level repair on a pack rarely works, I received assurances from Micah that this pack was as-received from its original vehicle with no modifications. Micah confirmed that my free supercharging would be unaffected, that the air suspension would be recalibrated to account for the vehicle's heavier weight, and that they would replace the coolant in the pack cooling system when doing the upgrade. Also, he said that they do a quick inspection of the car before doing the upgrade, to give clients the opportunity to back out before the swap is done if other issues are found with the vehicle.

When I asked if the vehicle would appear on the dashboard and my Tesla app as a 75D or as a 100D, he asked, "What would you like it to say?" I opted for 100D, and he said that they would also rebadge the back of the car to say that. I agreed to come back the following week to do the upgrade. Without even requiring a deposit, Micah edited their spreadsheet to show the pack I picked as reserved for my job. I was told the job would take 3-4 days.

On Wednesday afternoon, 12/20 I dropped my X off at EV's Republic. Micah was out at the time, but called me back later in the day to say they would try to finish my job by Friday so that I wouldn't have to wait until after Christmas to get it back. Over the next day I got several alerts in my Tesla app that windows and/or doors were open, so I knew they were working on my car. On Friday my Tesla app alerted me that my car was plugged into a high-demand supercharger and my charge session would be limited to 80%. I excitedly opened the app to find my car now appeared as a Model X 100D, and based on the number of miles and charge percentage showing in the app, the math indicated my new battery had a rated capacity of 289 miles - a 42% increase over my old pack's 203 mile range at full charge! As I was watching, I saw the charging stop and my car show as moving, and watched as it drove from the Folsom Outlets supercharger back to Rancho Cordova. Micah called me a short time later and said that they were going to do a complementary detail on my car before returning it to me. I told Micah I needed to be near their shop that evening, so my wife would drop me there to pick up the car before they closed. He said no need—they were going to drive my car and another to my house thirty minutes away, and the second car would shuttle the first driver back to their shop so that I didn't need to go there. Wow!

I waited a week before posting this to get some driving in on the car to know things were working well. Yesterday we drove to Fairfield and back, a trip that would have required a charge stop with my old pack, but was well within the range of my new one. I haven't supercharged yet, but I did watch the miles click by on my app when EV's Republic was testing it at the Supercharger and it definitely charges faster than my old 75 kWh pack. With faster charging times and over an hour of additional driving time due to the higher capacity, long trips that I was dreading with my old pack are now going to be pleasurable again.

Final thoughts
Is this upgrade for everyone? Definitely not. I spent $21,000 to upgrade a vehicle whose book value was only about $35,000. But with this upgrade, plus the MCU2 upgrade I just did, I now have what feels like a new car, for radically less than I would have spent on a new Model X. EV's Republic offered impeccable service commensurate with the price I paid. I am a very happy camper, and wanted to let others know of the good experience that I had.

after.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting your experience. I'm considering a pack upgrade for our old S85; Supercharging from 20-90% is taking about twice as long as it used to and the range has dropped from 256 to 232 over the last 4 years. Our remedy for Supercharging is to charge from 8-70% to keep the charging time under 35 minutes. A faster charging 100kWh pack with about 33% more capacity would be a lovely solution. I'm waiting to learn what happened with Jason Hughes (wk057) and I'm glad there are alternatives. I was hoping to see a "better than OEM" aftermarket solution by now, but I suppose that time has not come to pass.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the extra range and faster charging...just make sure to keep an eye on it. There's been a few folks who have upgraded and were so shocked by how fast it charged that they unexpectedly hit the idling fee threshold.

Curious about the new 100D designation. It looks like it is officially changed in Tesla's database, hence it showing as a 100D in the app, but since all the original Tesla documentation probably shows it as a 75D, can Tesla come back at some point and say that you did something that invalidates your free Supercharging?

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
It looks like it is officially changed in Tesla's database, hence it showing as a 100D in the app, but since all the original Tesla documentation probably shows it as a 75D, can Tesla come back at some point and say that you did something that invalidates your free Supercharging?
I suppose Tesla could, but there is nothing in any agreement people signed when they purchased the vehicle that said that they couldn't make changes to the vehicle, so if push came to shove, I think Tesla would lose that in court.

In any case there are no reports of Tesla messing with free Supercharging on vehicles that have had the packs replaced with larger ones.

I'm considering the same, 2016 MX75D. 100% charge is 200-204 rated miles. Though, I have until Mid-December 2024 worth of battery and drive unit warranty left.
Plan is, once warranty is up, source a totaled/parts car with either a late build 90 or any 100 pack., and have it swapped in. As same as your experience, it is effing painful. Our MX is designated as a local only vehicle now. While the pack can hit 144kW charge rage, if the battery is VERY VERY VERY hot, it holds that for only 1-2 minutes and then drops like a rock, then 50-60kW or LESS at 50% SOC regardless of battery and ambient temps.

Heck, yesterday, we did a ton of running around. Drained the MX, but wanted to juice it up. Wife dropped it off at the v3 supercharger with 15 miles left, with a warm (not hot, but no regen limit) battery, and I picked her up to take her to a doctor appointment. I took the Model S 90D with about 30,000 miles more on the ODO than the MX.

I had been running around too, but in spurts, pack was still cold. Took her to the hospital for her appointment, we stopped a few other places after then back to the supercharger to get the MX. I pulled in to the supercharger with about 20 miles left and a still cold battery. Regen limit was about 30kW. The Model X was still charging, and only at ~160 miles of 204.

We went into the grocery store to do some shopping while the MS charged and the MX finished charging. We were in the grocery store for 45 minutes. Model S was at ~210 miles after 45 minutes, the MX was just getting to 200. At that point, Model X had been plugged in for 3 hrs....

It really is painful. I don't want to spend the money to upgrade the pack on such a old vehicle, however, VS a new car payment, + Free Cellular, Free Supercharging, and FSD thats already paid for at the old $2k price, as long as I maintain everything, it's still worth it. No way I'd spend what you did though, which is why I'd go source my own battery and just pay someone to install it.

Ideally, I'd find a fairly low cost Model S or Model X, in running, driving condition with a 90 or 100 battery. Doesn't need to be mint, just functional. Put the big battery in my MX and put my 75 battery in the donor vehicle. Will still have a running and driving vehicle to sell, or give to the kid. Though, for how much our family drives, would really like FUSC. Or just sell the working functional battery on it's own, could likely get 10k for it. Heck, I'm seeing 85kwh model s's selling locally now for $12k fully functional! If it wasnt for Tesla neutering the 85's and causing so many problems (and no battery profile for the 85 for a Model X as the configuration never existed), id be happy with a 85 VS my 75 even.

What kind of charge rates are you seeing? I know you don't want to share your VIN, however, can you answer if you have FSD hardware or AP1 on your Model X? That will give me an idea of your build date compared to mine, and give me a rough idea what to expect performance wise. My MX build date was Mid-November 2016, and original owner of my MX purchased Mid-December 2016. I got it at 2 years old in a Divorce "fire sale".

This thread is interesting as although my 2017 S75 is still showing 220 miles of range, I'm assuming that at some point I'd have to consider something like this. However, although the car can probably accept a 90 or 100 battery, I wonder what the implications are for the redesignation as I don't think there were ever any S90 or S100 rear wheel drive models. Leaving it as a S75 would presumably mess up the BMS as there are more cells in the 90 or 100 pack. And putting in a replacement 75 pack probably won't get me much over my existing pack....

What kind of charge rates are you seeing? I know you don't want to share your VIN, however, can you answer if you have FSD hardware or AP1 on your Model X? That will give me an idea of your build date compared to mine, and give me a rough idea what to expect performance wise.
My car is AP1, built 9/2016. Your battery is much worse off than mine was—it never took me much more than an hour to Supercharge.

Has anyone compiled a list of places where this type of upgrade can be performed? Offhand, I've seen EV Republic and 057 Technology (now apparently defunct) on the forums.

Another question - eBay has 100kWh batteries for sale for around $12k-$15k. If you do a battery swap, whereby you can sell your old batter, it seems like this service should cost less than $21k-$24k, or is the labor really in the ballpark of $10k?

Has anyone compiled a list of places where this type of upgrade can be performed? Offhand, I've seen EV Republic and 057 Technology (now apparently defunct) on the forums.

Another question - eBay has 100kWh batteries for sale for around $12k-$15k. If you do a battery swap, whereby you can sell your old batter, it seems like this service should cost less than $21k-$24k, or is the labor really in the ballpark of $10k?
That's assuming that services such as these charge $21K-$24K and get their 100kWh battery packs around $11K-$14K and no other testing, parts, and programming is necessary. I don't know what the answer is and I'm curious as well being someone with an older "85" pack and generally love the idea of retrofitting upgrades to gain more utility and practicality.

www.SuperchargerTravel.com we have a worldwide list of third party battery and drive unit repair & replacement shops, as well as other Vendors. Also feel free to join the BMS Error Group, Log into Facebook

If you do a battery swap, whereby you can sell your old batter, it seems like this service should cost less than $21k-$24k, or is the labor really in the ballpark of $10k?
They did the work in about a day, so no, the labor is not that high. The added cost is margin, which needs to be reasonably high if they’re carrying $12k packs in inventory. If there was an efficient market for certified used packs then the costs of swapping would be substantially less.