Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wants to replace my Model Y Standard Range battery pack with an LFP pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my car back the other day with the new LFP battery. Everything is fine. Don't really notice any differences in ride quality or handling, but it'd be hard to discern even if I got it back exactly the same as I had been driving a LR AWD Model Y loaner for several weeks.

Charged it to 100% and the guessometer says 244 miles of range - which is the advertised range for my SR car.

One thing that was peculiar is the seat belts. I noticed that the retract wasn't as smooth. Then I noticed the base of the belts were different. There's some kind of extension to it's mount point. If it was there before I never noticed. Looks like this:

1711985388006.png

Charged it to 100% and the guessometer says 244 miles of range - which is the advertised range for my SR car.
Do you mean the projected range on the energy screen when you write "guessometer"?

The mileage display at the top of the Tesla screen is actually just rated economy times kWh remaining, and does not vary based on recent actual economy like "guessometers" on other EVs.

I don't think I saw anyone mention this, but the LPF batteries are limited to charging at 32 amps, whereas the 2170 Li-ion batteries charge at 48 amps. It doesn't really matter charging at home since we charge overnight. While we haven't used a supercharger on my wife's M3RWD, I'm expecting the charge time would take 50% longer than my MYLR, plus additional time if needed to charge above 80% to get sufficient range.

The OP could check the M3 forums to see what the LFP supercharging experience is like.
A supercharger or any public fast charger bypasses the 32a onboard charger, so the change time isn’t much different to NCA, it will pull less amps, but it’s a smaller battery.

Got my car back the other day with the new LFP battery. Everything is fine. Don't really notice any differences in ride quality or handling, but it'd be hard to discern even if I got it back exactly the same as I had been driving a LR AWD Model Y loaner for several weeks.

One thing that was peculiar is the seat belts. I noticed that the retract wasn't as smooth. Then I noticed the base of the belts were different. There's some kind of extension to it's mount point. If it was there before I never noticed. Looks like this:

View attachment 1034232
All model Y’s have those. Given the scratches they’ve likely always been like that in your car. :)

View attachment 1034232
That's just what it looks like in certain seat positions I believe. Nothing unusual in that picture.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Funny that I didn't notice those before. Guess I never looked.

When you remove the seatbelt the retraction seems to bind a little, also when putting it on and adjusting, it seems to not retract smoothly. Any cause for concern?

Funny that I didn't notice those before. Guess I never looked.

When you remove the seatbelt the retraction seems to bind a little, also when putting it on and adjusting, it seems to not retract smoothly. Any cause for concern?
Probably not?? Likely the car is just getting older. In any case the seats/seatbelts are not removed during a battery replacement unless you have a structural pack, and the mechanisms are designed to handle your weight in a crash, so whatever you're experiencing doesn't have to do with the HV battery replacement or a ham-fisted mechanic.

On topic: The LFP packs are totally bulletproof, great packs. You should definitely do it. Also you'll probably have the only LFP model Y in America. Like a double unicorn.

Off topic: I read somewhere that the early RWD Y existed, but I've never actually heard of anyone owning one... I always thought it was a myth. I'm super curious. Does it have a heat -pump, or the old PTC heater setup?
Why is there so much confusion over the Model Y RWD battery type? If you google search this, every other article claims it has the LFP pack. Even Tesla reps don’t appear to know, as a few people have posted exchanges of interactions with Tesla reps stating y rwd has the Lfp pack.
At first I thought, no it can’t have Lfp because of tax credit. But then I realized I got the tax credit in 2023 for a rwd Lfp model 3.
I’d love for someone who knows for 100% sure if the model in Tesla inventory now is Lfp or another type ?

Why is there so much confusion over the Model Y RWD battery type? If you google search this, every other article claims it has the LFP pack. Even Tesla reps don’t appear to know, as a few people have posted exchanges of interactions with Tesla reps stating y rwd has the Lfp pack.
Because the Model Y RWD does have a LFP pack in Europe/China.

At first I thought, no it can’t have Lfp because of tax credit. But then I realized I got the tax credit in 2023 for a rwd Lfp model 3.
Irrelevant, the rules where different for the 2023 tax credit.

I’d love for someone who knows for 100% sure if the model in Tesla inventory now is Lfp or another type ?
If it qualifies for the 2024 tax credit it does not have a LFP pack.

There was confusion because before it launched there were several erroneous news reports stating it was an LFP pack, and all other global markets get an LFP RWD Y.

I know 100%. It has been proven many times over. All US model Y RWDs at this time are software-locked 2170 packs, not LFP.

Reactions: tesluv108
There was confusion because before it launched there were several erroneous news reports stating it was an LFP pack, and all other global markets get an LFP RWD Y.

I know 100%. It has been proven many times over. All US model Y RWDs at this time are software-locked 2170 packs, not LFP.
Does this mean you can charge to 100% all of the time since you are really not charging to 100% ?

I drive a 2021 Tesla Model Y Standard Range that I bought almost exactly three years to the day from today - in March 2021, ordered in January 2021. In case you're not aware this was a very short lived version of the Model Y and was only offered for sale for about 6 weeks in early 2021. Nearly identical in every way to the LR model but with only rear wheel drive and 244 miles of range.

It's been at the service center for about two weeks with a battery issue. They called me yesterday and said that it's going to take a long time to get a replacement pack for my car (I presume there's not many of them around). Then they offered to replace my pack with a new LFP pack. Said they have most of the parts in stock and might be able to have it ready the next day. Asked me to come in and sign something to authorize that work.

Verbally they explained that the acceleration would be impacted by about .5 seconds on 0-60 and mentioned that they had to upgrade the suspension a bit to handle a little more weight. Also would get about 10 miles more range. I suggested that it would be just like the current RWD car with 260 miles and the advisor concurred.

I rushed over and signed it before they closed as I was excited to get my car back quickly.

Well today I get a message that they need another part and the ETA is about 1.5 weeks away. So I'll have to wait.

In the meantime I get to ponder if I'm really pleased with this deal or not.

Cons:

car will be heavier, slower, less efficient.. might go through tires sooner, might handle worse

Pros:

brand new battery pack, not refurbished
new pack better than my three year old pack which was not really delivering 244 miles on a full charge (not that I charged fully)
longer life span of battery since a) it's new and b) it's LFP

Since I've got time to wait and ponder, I wonder if I should accept this deal or push for something else (that might be better).

Any suggestions

View attachment 1030922

Take the new tech and new battery
LFP is amazing

I heard the new LFPs are BYD Blade type as opposed to CATL ones. Blade has good charging curves if the reviewers to be believed. I can't think of why would one want to keep the NCA types of yore since yours is an SR.

I too noticed the ghetto looking seatbelt extender in my 2024 test vehicle. I can only guess it is due to the raised seats that are sitting on a platform. MY is after all an endowed version of the Model 3. Funny Tesla did it this way, but hey more storage space under the seats!

I heard the new LFPs are BYD Blade type as opposed to CATL ones. Blade has good charging curves if the reviewers to be believed. I can't think of why would one want to keep the NCA types of yore since yours is an SR.

I too noticed the ghetto looking seatbelt extender in my 2024 test vehicle. I can only guess it is due to the raised seats that are sitting on a platform. MY is after all an endowed version of the Model 3. Funny Tesla did it this way, but hey more storage space under the seats!
That’s only for Berlin built RWD and it’s a structural battery with a front giga casting. Won’t be able to retrofit that into NCA/NCM cars.

It's been a few weeks now since I got my car back. I have to say I'm quite pleased with the results. It doesn't appear to ride or handle any different than before. It's nice knowing that although I've got a three year old car it's got "a brand new engine with zero miles on it". And the best part is that I leave the house every day with 244 miles of usable range rather than the 189 or whatever it was I was getting at 80%.