Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toyota Sienna had more room than Tesla Model X & Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now I own a Tesla Model Y. I've checked out and test driven a Model X but it feels slightly bigger but still gonna be hard to fit something like a bike. Then I saw a Toyota Sienna at the fair at a Toyota booth and I was surprise how massive the interior space is. If I had some Craigslist meet to get used furniture, I would rather use a van like a Toyota Sienna. I've tried moving furniture / bikes in large SUVs like the Lexus LX and ya it is doable but the Sienna I felt had alot more space to work with if you wanted to haul something like an electric beach cruiser bike. It has 3 rows of seating, but if you don't need the 3rd row you can just have tons of leg room for the 2nd row passengers. Or fold down the 3rd row seats and have much more room, or have that 3rd row seating and still have alot of room. Model X which I thought was the biggest electric SUV that you can get can't compare to a Sienna. And the Sienna was cheaper than the Model Y.

I assumed if I wanted the most cargo / hauling space I get a Model X if it's only Tesla. But compared to a Sienna which is like $40k I wish there was a van option for Model X and give customers more options. The Model X would be a really versatile car if it had the space of a Toyota Sienna it feel like a mini apartment.

It would make sense for luxury car companies to have vans because they are roomier. But BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Tesla don't really have options for vans. Which I don't really get, maybe in other countries they might but nothing like as available as a Toyota Sienna. Also I kind of feel I'm missing out not being able to carry a bike with me that I can only use it within a 20 mile commuting area since that's all the range it has and must go home. If the Model X could take a shape of a van, you could do much more activities.

Is there any EV vans out there similar to a Toyota Sienna in space but with an upgraded interior? I think the Model X would be much more roomier if it took the shape of a van instead of an SUV. I was surprised how much bigger a van cargo space is compared to every SUV.

First time in a minivan I take it. Yes, they are all shocks to the system for folks convinced SUV's are the answer. Wait until you drive a Carnival, you'll really be impressed. As to EV Minivans, at present that space is solely occupied by the PHEV Pacifica. Quite a machine, and solves well over 80% of most people's needs on battery. My son and wife have a vette, an F-150 screw, and a PHEV pacifica. I don't think you could pry any of them away. Perfect answers for their roles.

Last edited:
You're surprised that a van has more cargo space than an SUV? I'm not sure I can help you with that.

As for EV vans, I believe the only one even announced is the VW id Buzz. Not sure it's available for purchase yet though.

Ford and Mercedes both make their delivery vans as EVs, but they've not made any announcements as to eventually making passenger versions.

I'm honestly amazed no one has done ev vans yet. They have huge floor space for batteries, and the primary van driver very likely isn't interested in vehicle maintenance. And probably owns a home where they can charge cheaply.

The problem with "traditional shaped" vehicles is they aren't particularly aerodynamic. That's a driving reason the Y and X seem to have so much less space. Their "trunk" is slanty so the wind resistance is lower.

Not to sound rude, but you are comparing two different types of vehicles. The Sienna is a mini-VAN, not an SUV. Minivans are designed primarily for hauling stuff/people. The Model X is an SUV with a more aerodynamic shape for better overall range. It is also smaller than the Sienna. If you need more cargo room, get the Sienna or cargo van. If you want the most cargo room in a Tesla, get the Model X in the 5-seat configuration where you can fold the middle row flat.

In the spirit of this conversation, I'm currently comparing Model Y to a dump truck. With the dump truck I can bring my whole family and carry all of our stuff in a way that makes it easy to unload when we reach our destination. When you think about it, it's a step up (literally and figuratively) from an F-150 lightening. Wonder how long it will be before we're all driving one?

In the spirit of this conversation, I'm currently comparing Model Y to a dump truck. With the dump truck I can bring my whole family and carry all of our stuff in a way that makes it easy to unload when we reach our destination. When you think about it, it's a step up (literally and figuratively) from an F-150 lightening. Wonder how long it will be before we're all driving one?
Added but unmentioned benefit: in a traffic accident driving a dump truck, you’ll be the likely “winner.” Do watch out for the fully-loaded cement trucks, Bradley tanks, or large freight trains at grade crossings.

Maybe the Rivian R1S would be a better comparison for the Toyota Sienna than the Tesla Model X.

See below some dimension comparison from Wikipedia:

2021 Toyota Sienna LE (AXLH40)

Wheelbase 3,060 mm (120.5 in)​
Length 5,170–5,180 mm (203.7–204.1 in)​
Width 1,990 mm (78.5 in)​
Height 1,740–1,780 mm (68.5–70 in)​
Curb weight 1,950 kg (4,310 lb)​

2023 Rivian R1S

Wheelbase 3,076 mm (121.1 in)​
Length 5,100 mm (200.8 in)​
Width 2,014 mm (79.3 in)​
Height 1,816–1,963 mm (71.5–77.3 in)​
Curb weight 3,206 kg (7,068 lb)​

2023 Tesla Model X

Wheelbase 2,965 mm (116.7 in)​
Length 5,036 mm (198.3 in)​
Width 1,999 mm (78.7 in)​
Height 1,684 mm (66.3 in)​
Curb weight​
5,148 lb (2,335 kg)​
Plaid: 5,248 lb (2,380 kg)​

Checkout the Pacifica. It is a very nice vehicle. Only downside to the PHEV is that the middle row doesn't fold into the floor like the non PHEV model. With the middle and back rows folded you can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back.