Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any way to justify having 2 cars for one person?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any way to justify one person to own 2 cars at once. Not like a family or couple who owns 2 cars total, but just one person who owns two cars.

I know Dan Brazilian owns alot of cars and he is an example of someone who owns too many cars for one person to handle. So he said something like I have less than 10k miles amongst all my cars. And I assume cars are mostly depreciating assets in most cases.

But someone can have 10+ shoes and probably not care too much financially about it. But not many people are going to have 10+ cars for just their personal use. And most people will likely want to take time to think about getting a 2nd car vs a person getting their 20th pair of shoes.

It be cool if I could the option to drive a sedan, an SUV, a pick up truck, an off road car, an 2 seat exotic car. There are people out who have UTVs and go to Glamis, or they jet ski and boats, and those vehicles you can't even use for normal commuting and it's purely recreational, but still cost as much as a normal commuting car. I'm just wondering how much a hobby like that will cost and where do you store these UTVs. The only unconventional car I could recall someone owning was an elementary school friend, someone in his family owned a Hummer H1 and they go off road. Most cool cars are usually hard to drive. I rented a Lamborghini Huracan and that thing is very loud and really needs focus to drive, and it's also hard to do normal car stuff like parking lots or grocery shopping.

If I could have multiple cars, I would like to own a pick up truck or cargo van I don't always drive but it be there if there ever is a free coach on Craigslist or a really underpriced luxury furniture because someone's moving and a Tesla Model X is like not going to work. Then I have that advantage because most people will probably have to pass on that free couch because they own a Honda Civic and will have no way to transport it.

Or what if I want to carry E-bikes or Sur-Rons it be much easier to have a cargo van for that. Sometimes Model Y & Model X, even though they're SUV, still feel restricted on space when you really wanna pack a lot of stuff. And I wish I could just have a cargo van that just there sitting around that I don't drive all the time but only sometimes. But people do own pick up trucks or large cargo vans, do they have other cars they drive or will they just own that one cargo van and always commute with it even if they may not use its space?

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
I dont understand the thread question, because its clearly "yes", since someone can have vehicles that have different purposes (Cars, SUVs, RVs etc) for different purposes. I dont understand it, because the answer cant be anything other than "yes" if someone can afford and wants to pay for multiple vehicles.

... I dont understand it, because the answer cant be anything other than "yes" if someone can afford and wants to pay for multiple vehicles.
Exactly. Your disposable, discretionary income determines, to a great extent, what you own. Two cars, ten cars, three homes, a yacht, doesn't matter. If you have the funds and want something than you ought to feel free in acquiring it.

Rich

Reactions: pilotSteve
Well some can afford more than one vehicle. Not just in terms of $, but also the space for parking. No justification needed. Then there's the nuisance caused by a neighbor owning four cars of which one can't be legally driven and all are parked in limited parking on the street while using their double car garage as a living room. That's my best run on sentence.

Main reason I ask is because when we bought the Tesla Model Y, parents immediately wanted to get rid of the Model 3 / sell it.

I wanted to keep it and have two cars for a little bit, maybe a few months, but they said if I were to do that, the value will go down. The Model 3 value was still going to go down if the Model Y wasn't there, but I think they have this idea that no one person should ever have two cars and if you buy a new one, you need to sell the other one to CarMax ASAP.

But I don't really know who is right. Is it wise to immediately sell your car that is to be replaced if you get a new car? To them having a 2nd car laying around is like a financial time bomb and it has to be sold immediately and not kept for another few months. I only had that Model 3 for like 1-2 weeks when the new car came and it had to be gone.

Because I had a friend who wanted to buy the old car from me for the CarMax price, but he was hesitant to make a commitment or to write a check. My parents didn't want the hassle of selling a car to a friend at CarMax price and he tried begging for more time but I was like "you gotta make a move, we can't wait forever and go past that 7-14 day CarMax guarantee price". He ended up bailing out and said something like "it's stupid that Tesla has 100k miles on it" but the real reason was probably because his GF couldn't come into the USA from Korea to live with him due to immigration complications. Because he said he wanted to buy the car for the GF, or the GF would buy my car, but no one was making any moves to give money. Maybe she would have bought my car if I waited a few months but there was no financial reward to wait around.

"If your only tool is a hammer, every problem is a nail."
It's wise to have a box with many different screwdrivers, pliers, and maybe even more than one type of hammer.

I love my X, but I fear I might have a hard time letting go of the 23 year old ICE 1/2 ton when my cybertruck number comes up.

4 identical model 3s, except for the color might put one in line for therapy, but who am I to judge? :D

Reactions: pilotSteve
I have multiple vehicles, and I use them for the different kinds of driving.

When you're into multiple vehicles, it is to an extent a "toys/hobbies" discussion - beyond a "needs" discussion for most people. There are all kinds of toys/hobbies - trucks, boats, sports cars, ATVs, motorcycles, golf carts, airplanes, etc. It could also be jewelry, handbags, golf clubs, gaming/computers/technology, many other things.

When you're beyond "needs" then ratios matter now. How much are your toys/hobbies as a % of your world? Years ago I heard Ramsey's take, which I thought was probably the best approach to this issue: first, you should pay cash for toys. Second, things with a motor generally go down in value. Don't have more than half your annual income in things going down in value.

For me, I'm very much a car guy and could easily get out of whack on this. These are the guidelines I try to live by.

I say no and for the reason no one is talking about
Carbon
Each existing vehicle or new vehicle, even an EV impacts the earth with negative carbon

Even if you have the funds, space and tkme
Do something else, but good with them

To save this earth we need to consume less

Sorry to be the buzz kill

Some people collect cars like stamps, they can afford it and how they don't have to answer us how they spend their wealth - Jay Leno, Bill Gates... and then Warren Buffet owned one beat up Cadillac.

I am just an ordinary Joe, and I have own two cars in various times, only one time that has a slight excuse - the leased Leaf has limited range and I don't want to over the mileage limit; the other times are just pure itches. I even had dreams that I have a storage somewhere storing an old car like James Bond. Of all the times that I owned more than one, after a short while, I found it a hassle to park, deciding which one to use each day, costs etc ... and then sold it, better spend the money elsewhere.