Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For just $2,500 more, why did you order Model S (non-Plaid) over the Model X tax edition 5 seats ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
S is quicker? 3.1 versus 3.8 seem you can feel that?

S has better range? (ridiculous >400 miles)

S as 5 seats vs X 5 seats, about the same cabin space?

S cargo space is enough for me?

S as 5 seats hold better resale value than X with 5 seats?

I don't mind the 19" wheels/tires?

$2,500 more is no big deal to you?

1712247821677.jpeg

1712247827670.jpeg

Well I don't qualify for the tax credit (and I suspect that holds true for a lot of wouldbe S/X drivers). But even if I did, I far prefer how the S drives and don't need the extra cargo space or ride height. So I'd take the S every time.

3.1 vs 3.8 0-60 is also very noticeable

Reactions: aerodyne and ev919
My Tesla history:

2013 Model S P85+
2016 Model X P90DL
2023 Model S Plaid

.. Only reason for the MX there was because we needed 6 seats at the time. Now the oldest kid is 20 so i figured we can fit in a five-seater again.

5 seater Model X makes no sense to me, I can't understand the point.

Reactions: ev919
What you might notice, as you get older, is the higher ride height and self closing doors on the MX are more useful than MS acceleration.

Not that I would know about the former, but I'm thinking ahead...😁
I don't find the 2024 (vision) self opening/closing doors on the MX to be useful. The falcon wings are both a pro and a con.

The range is the biggest thing with the MS, especially at interstate speeds. It's pretty significant. IMO, I'd probably pay more for the MS over the MX in a 5 seat configuration, but I do love them both for different reasons.

The ride height on the S is terrible for me...

X is much easier to get in and out of (a big deal for many, for others...not so much). X is more spacious, carries more, comes with tow package, has huge panoramic windshield, quick cycling falcon wing doors and a higher seating position for better drivers views and rear seat comfort.

S is prettier, more nimble, faster, and still has that handy rear hatch for carrying bigger stuff.

X has significantly better financial benefits (section 179, accelerated depreciation and qualifies for $7,500 tax credit. Great for owners of profitable small businesses.

I don't find the 2024 (vision) self opening/closing doors on the MX to be useful. The falcon wings are both a pro and a con.

The range is the biggest thing with the MS, especially at interstate speeds. It's pretty significant. IMO, I'd probably pay more for the MS over the MX in a 5 seat configuration, but I do love them both for different reasons.

The ride height on the S is terrible for me...
Look at the refreshed Taycan. The car raises 2” almost instantly when the door is opened.

Reactions: fetar30310
I have both, older versions, but pretty much same opinion applies to newer ones.
For same battery size, the MS will have much more range.
Prefer the MS as a daily driver. More comfortable sedan feel.
Can't stand the falcon doors. Massive PITA. Also turned off the self opening front doors the second day of ownership. Any time I got close to the car the doors would open with it thinking i was going for a drive. Don't even get me started about butt pressing the fob and falcon doors opening. At least now we get a notification after about 15 minutes that doors are open.

They're two different cars in different categories. Few people cross shop between them.

I came from an e39 540i MTech to my first Model S when that was the only Tesla selling, and loved it. When it became time to replace it, the same color in the newer version was really the only thing I had in mind. The old car despite its 110k miles, sold in a week to a PP for 30k .

I also don't like the FWDs and the MX takes a significant range penalty over the S. Cargo space is not really a problem - the S hauls kids, dogs and the associated logistical tail up and down CA and up to the mountains in winter with ease - especially the new one with its excellent range.

We've owned two Model Y's since 2020, and we enjoyed them immensely. We take 4 long road trips per year (2K miles) to visit our grandkids. And while we never experienced any issues with charging or range anxiety, we think the LR S would allow us to pick and choose or skip stops at will. Plus I have always had a soft spot for the S styling and features. We currently own a 2022 MYP with 18" TSportLine tires that improve performance, efficiency, range, and ride comfort, and no longer fear potholes/curbs. However, the LR S enhances or improves those attributes. Since we are being forced to take RMDs and don't need the $$$ I told the wife let's splurge and order a new S. But we can wait until this fall and hopefully, Elon and his minions have a few more cards up their sleeves they haven't shown us.