Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X has single 72A charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While a slot drop from the Model S, 72A is perfectly serviceable. I guess what I can't really understand or accept is that they couldn't find space in the rear of the Model X for it? With years of engineering time? Surely there has to be another reason... Maybe the whole upgrading the SCs with the new 72A packs make sense.

Agree. 72A as standard is great though. With the Model S being 40A (routinely) ChargePoint and others could says 'well 30A is close enough'. If the Model X and Model S become 72A standard then you'll have s lot of cars being higher amperage charging. Maybe that will motivate more designation charging.

Now that this issue is finally settled, I really, really, really don't understand why Tesla couldn't simply give this information, correctly, 2 months ago when people started calling them. It's not a feature that's going to eat into model S sales, it's not complicated to explain, it's not something they needed to highlight at the reveal event, it's a simple data point. Instead we have 300+ posts of unnecessary angst and uncertainty.

Because no one at Tesla is empowered to do anything. Only Elon makes decisions (I'm exaggerating, just a little). It's a symptom of a dysfunctional company. Elon needs to install a COO and let go of the reins a little bit.

That angst and uncertainity would just dwel on something else. Its is not because of things, it is becase of people.

18kW charger allows using less units per single SC, say 7 for 127kW max capability instead of 10 for 120kW.
Having a bit less units per station will see to a bit lower failure rate also. Smaller cabinets with lower weight etc.

Because no one at Tesla is empowered to do anything. Only Elon makes decisions (I'm exaggerating, just a little). It's a symptom of a dysfunctional company. Elon needs to install a COO and let go of the reins a little bit.

A COO doesn't necessarily solve anything. It's a corporate culture shift that's needed, and you don't need a COO for that. Just a genuine will to change it, from the top.

True ....when pre-autopilot inventory cars were sold at heavy discount ...nobody at Tesla knew that this is coming...

I can understand major decisions but things like this should be handled well

That comes across as blaming the victim. I think most agree Tesla is heavily lacking in the comms dept.

Can't exactly agree. What we're discussing is a victimless "crime"... if the default, standard, no-extra-cost config was 40A and becomes 72A, I am failing to find a 'victim' from either the default amperage capacity change, or the lack of detail in communication about it. It's not as if the decision process of single-vs-dual was ever easy, or easily explained by TM staff. It was a constant, often heatedly contested, topic right here.

I never want to come across as argumentative, AO, but... :) could the move not be intended as aiding and simplifying a difficult area of TM communications? I didn't get a "blame" feel from Warped's comment, rather a kind of pragmatism about the reality of explaining this aspect of charging amperages (not to mention predicting where infrastructure will be in the next five years, what with Destination Charging rollout) to car shoppers who up to now have only had to consider MPG, tank size, and Premium vs. Unleaded!

Factory-Standard 20kW Charger For Everyone has been my favorite rumour ever since the removal of Dual from factory config, in light of the aggressive expansion of 80A Destination Charging as well as the low voluntary uptake of duals.

The piece of this that doesn't fit at all is the idea of Model X being limited at "60A" instead of double the old standard. It doesn't go to eleven. That's the un-Tesla bit IMHO.

On another note, I think my optimistic guess about 80A single was just a scootch closer to the delivered product than the rumored 60A. Not enough for a victory lap! And we have yet to see if this will apply at all to Models S or Supercharger Modules...

But it's been a fun thread, at least more enjoyable than the countless "I never have charged above 40A, don't waste your money!" "Investment in duals is future-proofing, HAL2 is coming, trust me!" debates which get almost theological at times.

Rick

A COO doesn't necessarily solve anything. It's a corporate culture shift that's needed, and you don't need a COO for that. Just a genuine will to change it, from the top.

My point is that Elon isn't going to change. He needs to hand over the reins to someone who knows how to delegate and empower employees. He has always been a micromanager. When Tesla was small, that worked. Now it doesn't.

Can't exactly agree. What we're discussing is a victimless "crime"... if the default, standard, no-extra-cost config was 40A and becomes 72A, I am failing to find a 'victim' from either the default amperage capacity change, or the lack of detail in communication about it. It's not as if the decision process of single-vs-dual was ever easy, or easily explained by TM staff. It was a constant, often heatedly contested, topic right here.

I never want to come across as argumentative, AO, but... :) could the move not be intended as aiding and simplifying a difficult area of TM communications? I didn't get a "blame" feel from Warped's comment, rather a kind of pragmatism about the reality of explaining this aspect of charging amperages (not to mention predicting where infrastructure will be in the next five years, what with Destination Charging rollout) to car shoppers who up to now have only had to consider MPG, tank size, and Premium vs. Unleaded!

I was more referring to the the whole "people make the angst" thing. If there were a question regarding the charging capabilities (especially with some folks needing to wire garages), I don't think it should be hard to simply confirm that info. Especially when it's already set and it isn't anything that needs to be hidden for a big reveal (they didn't even "reveal" it anyway).

I was more referring to the the whole "people make the angst" thing. If there were a question regarding the charging capabilities (especially with some folks needing to wire garages), I don't think it should be hard to simply confirm that info. Especially when it's already set and it isn't anything that needs to be hidden for a big reveal (they didn't even "reveal" it anyway).

OK I agree 100%. All TM had to do was recommend installing a 100A subpanel. That would work for either the 60A charge level rumored (75A breaker?) and for the 72A charge, 90A breaker reality the X got.

My point is that Elon isn't going to change. He needs to hand over the reins to someone who knows how to delegate and empower employees. He has always been a micromanager. When Tesla was small, that worked. Now it doesn't.

Steve Jobs did it at Apple until the day he died. Elon and Jobs are very similar in that way, the only difference is Elon's technical and scientific knowledge is much deeper than Jobs was.

I'm not saying it is completely a good thing, but it does produce products that are a step or two ahead of what anyone thought they could be. The downside is the entire corporate culture ends up structured to the whim of one person, people aren't empowered, and if something happens to the visionary, what happens?

I'm still waiting to see what happens at Apple long term now that Jobs is gone. Tim Cook appears to be a decent CEO, but he doesn't have that knack for knowing what people will want before they know they want it that Jobs had. Jobs dictated all his ideas to Cook before he died and Apple is working from that playbook, but Jobs isn't here to guide the process every step of the way. Apple hasn't released a product yet that wasn't well under way when Jobs died and they still have a rabid fan base who will buy anything new from Apple, so it will take a while for the cracks to appear, if they are going to.

OK I agree 100%. All TM had to do was recommend installing a 100A subpanel. That would work for either the 60A charge level rumored (75A breaker?) and for the 72A charge, 90A breaker reality the X got.

Unless you can get dual chargers in the X at 120A. Of course, nobody knows. Given the timing of these chargers, I don't even know if my S will show up with one of these, in which case putting in a 50A circuit will leave me unsatisfied. Maybe we'll go to NEMA 14-60? Who knows.

Tesla has an extra configuration DIP switch in the HPWC. It would be very nice if they added a configuration setting that would allow for a 90A breaker and 72 Amp charging. That would allow for using #4 copper wire which is a little less expensive, and more importantly, easier to work with than the 100A/80A required #3 wire.

Tesla has an extra configuration DIP switch in the HPWC. It would be very nice if they added a configuration setting that would allow for a 90A breaker and 72 Amp charging. That would allow for using #4 copper wire which is a little less expensive, and more importantly, easier to work with than the 100A/80A required #3 wire.

Agreed. The feeling in my fingers is just returning months after installing the HPWC with 3 wire.:wink:

When we see the Manual for one of the allegedly newer, MX-era HPWCs, I wonder what we will find...