Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As Tesla gets more information from Roadster and Model S logs, I'd really like to see an interactive battery management/ reminders section on the 17" display. I know that Tesla wants a lot of this to be invisible to owners (If in doubt, plug-in and forget) but it would be good for any battery optimisation freaks out there to have the option to call up explanations on what the car is doing and tips for better battery care.

That's a great idea. Something like "We've noticed your charing is normally finished at 2AM but you don't leave home each morning until 8AM. Would you like us to set your charge each day to be completed by 8AM?"

That's a great idea. Something like "We've noticed your charing is normally finished at 2AM but you don't leave home each morning until 8AM. Would you like us to set your charge each day to be completed by 8AM?"

This would get more owners to charge by departure time. Great idea! Helpful to both battery life and electric power infrastructure.

GSP

GPS and active air suspension integration would be nice. I would love to be able to tell the car to automatically raise the suspension when I am getting close to my house to clear the curb.

It would be also nice to have the rear camera automatically come up when the car is put in reverse.

A little thing, but I'd like the palette of preset radio stations to change depending on where I am. In Boston, I listen to one set of stations; in Maine (unsurprisingly) to a different set.

They could even have one button titled "NPR" that adapts based on location (possibly presenting a submenu in markets with multiple NPR stations, like Boston's WGBH and WBUR).

Doesn't the internal charging logic (system) already take care of all this? I believe it's designed to monitor and take care of the battery just fine if left plugged in for a week or more. Not that you want to leave the SOC at 87% all its life, but isn't that the purpose of the system not charging to 100% in the first place?

Edit: I like the idea, btw. Just seems ultra niche.

@ Rifleman...

Glad to hear that. Must have been an update since the "get Amped" car that I drove.

My Get Amped car did this for me on our drive (VIN 114 I believe). I saw at least one other Get Amped vid, that showed the same too (in Florida).

Last edited:
Doesn't the internal charging logic (system) already take care of all this? I believe it's designed to monitor and take care of the battery just fine if left plugged in for a week or more. Not that you want to leave the SOC at 87% all its life, but isn't that the purpose of the system not charging to 100% in the first place?

Edit: I like the idea, btw. Just seems ultra niche. .

This would be more for your daily standard charge so you would always be charged by he time you leave instead of picking an earlier time to make sure you were done in the morning each time. A 100% charge in standard mode is to 85% SOC but it is still supposedly good to finish soon before you leave in the morning although it does balance the cells for maybe an hour after a standard mode charge. Could be different in the Model S.

The Model S does take care of the battery when you are not plugged in as well.

Doesn't the internal charging logic (system) already take care of all this? I believe it's designed to monitor and take care of the battery just fine if left plugged in for a week or more. Not that you want to leave the SOC at 87% all its life....

Sounds like Model S does take care of things, and apparently you can leave it it at SOC 87% all it's life: Model S has no Storage Mode Charge, only Standard and Max.

A little thing, but I'd like the palette of preset radio stations to change depending on where I am. In Boston, I listen to one set of stations; in Maine (unsurprisingly) to a different set.

They could even have one button titled "NPR" that adapts based on location (possibly presenting a submenu in markets with multiple NPR stations, like Boston's WGBH and WBUR).

Excellent idea. +1
(though with broadcast radio dying a slow death, I wonder if there'll be much more innovation here)

This would get more owners to charge by departure time. Great idea! Helpful to both battery life and electric power infrastructure.

GSP

Yes, this is great for overnight charging! But also for road trips what we could REALLY use is, during a charge stop:

1) Calculated charging rate in %SOC and in ideal miles/km
2) Estimated time remaining to charge completion, and time of day at completion (so you know how long to plan to be away from the car)
3) Estimated further charging time required to reach current Nav System destination (with a safety buffer of, say, 30 mi/50 km).

GSP

I agree, definitely better on the grid. I didn't come up with the 'charge by X time' concept but think combining that with the Model S learning your behavior (like the Nest thermostat) and offering advice to owners that didn't know that finishing a charge in the morning might be better for the battery might appeal to some owners.

My wish list items do not look good, but this is from a rep so I'll double check with other sources.

"At this point, I don't see any plans for an auto adjusting steering wheel.* We'll be using Google Voice, but that's something that will come online with our very first software update.* The car will have a wifi card, so it will be able to use wifi (mobile hotspots, etc), but it won't be a hotspot in itself.* With your HD backup camera, there won't be assist lines."

Update from another source:

"Thanks for reaching out to us at Tesla Motors with your inquiry and feedback. We are entertaining solutions to both of your suggestions but have yet to create a time-line to implement these features.

Rest assured, if we add an ingress/egress mode to the steering wheel and driver's seat, your Model S will have the ability to accommodate these changes. Also, the ability to add parking lines to the car's backup camera can be upgrades through software.

If any other questions or suggestions pop up, please do not hesitate to reach out."

Last edited:
Hmmm, I thought Tesla has said that the Model S could be a mobile hotspot. Am I imagining this, or has it been in any marketing materials?

You are not imagining. It was definitely supposed to be a hot spot. It was promised when I signed up for my reservation. Don't know if it has changed and been removed, but at this point, it wouldn't surprise me.

Hmmm, I thought Tesla has said that the Model S could be a mobile hotspot. Am I imagining this, or has it been in any marketing materials?

There are a lot of software items that won't be there for awhile. I expect regular upgrades throughout the car's life. Right now WiFi isn't working so there won't be any hotspotting till the WiFi is enabled.

* Timed charging. Particularly love idea of a finish time. If I could set a start time as well then it could decide the minimum amperage to use to spread the charge over that period to minimize strain on the power grid and the battery. The end time should not be a hard cutoff—if it can't fully charge by then it should still keep going.
* Discrete multichannel audio support (in both lossless and lossy formats)
* More granular volume control
* Podcast app that automatically downloads episodes of my favorite podcasts via wifi (when wifi is available)
* Charge station map and status on the map
* Projected and Rated (called Ideal and Estimated in Roadsters) range shown without having to take up a whole module on the screen
* Allow inserting a charge cable if the charge door is left open, even if the car is locked. This allows cable sharing without the key.
* Way to open charge port door form the key or with J1772 adapter
* A way to view the tire pressure

Last edited: