Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S - MCU 2 - Corrupt Files - Unresponsive Touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a follow up from my previous post on January 30th (Temperature Related “Touchscreen Unresponsive” Error??? - MCU 2 - 2015 Model S).

I was finally able to visit my local service center in Indianapolis on 2/16/24 and the technicians kept my vehicle until 2/19/24. I was told all of my hardware is functioning properly and the unresponsive screen was related to “corrupt files” in the system software. The service ticket was updated as “resolved” after they cleared the corrupt files and I picked up the vehicle the afternoon of 2/19/24. Unfortunately, my screen was unresponsive later that evening and again this morning (2/20/24). It’s worth mentioning I have no usb drives or disks plugged into my car. I use one of the usb drives to power a magnetic induction charger and never plug my phone directly into the car.

The following are two separate videos I took demonstrating the issue and how it is temporarily resolved via a soft scroll wheel reset.

Video 1 (prior to service center visit):

Video 2 (following service center visit):

Not the MCU, the screen. That is what the error message is indicating is the problem. They likely replaced the screen with the MCU2 upgrade. Maybe the connectors are having issues.
Does it seem strange that soft resets resolve the issue? Also, it still seems to be temperature related. The past few days in central Indiana have been warmer (lows in the high 50s and highs in the low 70s) and I haven’t had to reset until this morning with temps in the mid 40s.

It is a fleeting problem, but I would start with the problematic screen and it's connections, which could be worse in cold weather. Perhaps something was used on the screen, or the screen has a "protector" that is causing intermittent problems that temperature aggravates. Rebooting could clear any errors from invalid input from the screen that the screen sees as "unresponsive". It is a hard issue to diagnose at this point if Tesla has no answers. Got to start somewhere.

Reactions: IndyAdamC
UPDATE: took my car into the service center on 3/19/24. The technicians spent more time combing through the software and found additional corrupt files. They ended up having to replace my MCU2, which was installed in July 2021. I did not have to pay for the replacement (see photo).
IMG_3144.png