Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S Stuck on FSD v11.0 & Feeling Left Behind

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC Community,

I'm reaching out to this knowledgeable community for insights or advice regarding my 2017 Tesla Model S. I've been a proud owner since 2017, fully embracing the future of driving with the Full Self-Driving (FSD) package. However, my excitement has turned to concern as my software update seems to have stalled on version 11.0 (2022.8.10.16), which my vehicle received about 5 months ago.

I've been in touch with Tesla support on two separate occasions, seeking clarity on why my car hasn't received any of the more recent updates, especially since I've seen other vehicles around me getting upgrades. Both times, I was told that my car is considered "legacy" and that I would need to simply wait my turn for the next firmware update.

To add to my frustration, my 2020 Model X with Enhanced Autopilot recently received the new firmware for a one-month FSD trial, which starkly highlighted the disparity between the treatment of my two vehicles.

Feeling a bit cheated and left in the dark, I'm turning to you, my fellow Tesla enthusiasts and experts, for advice. Is there anything I can do to expedite the update process for my Model S? Has anyone else experienced a similar situation, and if so, how did you navigate it? Any tips, insights, or steps you could recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read my message. I look forward to any guidance you can provide.

Regards,
Rob

Your infotainment computer (MCU1) is too old for the newer software versions. You’ll have to pay Tesla to upgrade to MCU2 in order to get the latest software versions.

Note that even with the MCU2 infotainment upgrade, you will not get FSD capability without also upgrading the Autopilot computer to HW3. Your car likely came with HW2 or HW2.5 depending when it was built. If you paid for FSD package with the car, that should be a free upgrade to HW3 if it hasn’t been already done.

You just have one of the unlucky orphaned cars in terms of software support with MCU1 and FSD package.

Also, I had to intervene 3 times in 10 miles so don't get your hopes up it drives in the far right of the lane, yet crossed the solid lane on the left for one intervention. I recommend turning off the new auto speed settings, unless you want people to not blow their horns at you for going to slow. Product still not ready for roads outside of California.

Not for MCU1. MCU1 has been stuck on 2022.8.10.x and FSDb v10.69
Tesla is about out of road to kick the can down. They have repeatedly said that MCU has nothing to do with FSD so they won't upgrade it. My car with MCU 1 Has never received any version of FSDb. Well FSD is no longer Beta and Tesla states that V12.x is available to all FSD capable cars. It's time for Tesla to admit that MCU 1 cars are not capable of FSD and upgrade the MCU.

Reactions: DerbyDave