Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S Not preconditioning when Nav to Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All!

What are the circumstances a 2017 model S should precondition when navigating to a supercharger? my model 3 would show a message on the destination portion of the navigation where it said something along the lines of "Preconditioning for Fast Charging" but my model s 2017 doesn't show anything like that and the fans don't even tend to kick on. The car has 1 alert and its the RCCM Actuator message which i don't think has anything to do with the preconditioning of the battery.

Also, my car was recently updated to MCU2 if that makes any difference.

thanks!

opening up the louvers and running the fans would be for cooling I believe. That would typically be while supercharging once the battery's toasty, and after to cool the battery back down, or if you cancel the supercharger after the car has done the preconditioning?
Verified louvers are opening and closing by turning the AC to MAX. now my question is, how do i clean all the gunk that inside where the radiator sits? I've taken the bumper off, but theres another hard plastic like frame that bolts up.

What was your SOC when you were on the way to the supercharger? If I'm departing at less than 20% in my 60 and enter in a supercharger as the destination, it won't heat the battery for more efficient charging until I arrive and plug in, even if the arrival estimate is above 10%.

If you don't see the "battery heating" message in your app at the start of supercharging, my guess is that the battery didn't need it to hit the max charging speeds of your pack. Your 3 might have supported higher potential rates, so it pre-heated a bit even in the mild AZ climate.

Reactions: gcashiel
What was your SOC when you were on the way to the supercharger? If I'm departing at less than 20% in my 60 and enter in a supercharger as the destination, it won't heat the battery for more efficient charging until I arrive and plug in, even if the arrival estimate is above 10%.

If you don't see the "battery heating" message in your app at the start of supercharging, my guess is that the battery didn't need it to hit the max charging speeds of your pack. Your 3 might have supported higher potential rates, so it pre-heated a bit even in the mild AZ climate.
in this last week i arrived with about 20-30% charge and not once did i get the preheating message. its fine though, i think my car is doing the max charge of 120kW and then it drizzles down to about 50-70kW