Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preconditioning on way to supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - question on preconditioning when navigating to a supercharger. I’ve noticed that my S doesn’t always precondition, or sometimes it starts 1 mile from the charger. It has preconditioned as normal 20-30 miles from the charger, but what is the determining factor? I’ve driven 3 hours on the highway and then 20 miles from the SC it will start, and I’ve driven 3 hours on the highway and it doesn’t start. Does it solely depend on battery temp and maybe occasionally it just doesn’t need any preconditioning? It hasn’t appeared to be consistent for me, but I always get max speeds when I plug in anyway.

Thanks,

Todd

Reactions: DerbyDave
I noticed the same things (although I don't use supercharger much). On my recent long drive, I had to use it twice. First time it preconditioned for about 15 minutes and second time less than 5 minutes (both the times I had been driving car on highway for about two hours in similar weather and speed, same charging location and similar SOC - about 30%). My guess is it depends on current battery temperature and precondition kicks in accordingly.

i'd guess temp and SOC, since u can charge faster at lower soc for given temp
also depending on ur car year, it might also consider if ur going to V2 or V3 SC...
if u getting Max speed then car knows that n pre-conditions accordingly