Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold temps in Northeast drop 40+ miles of range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the last few days, I haven't been driving my '23 MS Long Range as I have other modes of transportation. Roads out here are a complete mess of salt and sand...having my MS recently detailed factored into this decision. Just checking in with the app I've been watching the range drop ~ 40 miles and counting just sitting in my unheated garage. Never seen that before. That blue snowflake next the range indicates "less energy available due to cold battery."

I've also read the latest news of charging difficulties on Tesla's and all EV's for that matter that frigid temps are causing. One mistake I have recently made is forgetting to precondition the battery before pulling up to a supercharger. This caused the latest charging session to last way longer than usual. For those suffering from slow battery charging, please remember to precondition, which is easily handled by setting the charger destination on your navigation system. Being 'spontaneous' and just pulling up to the SC simply doesn't work here. Just thought I'd share with the community. Good news, we are expected to thaw out later this week with warmer temps. Bring it on!

Do you charge your Tesla in your garage? Setting scheduled departure can help with battery conditioning for your drive as well, which could help with range in cold weather. It will use more energy from your home but range in th vehicle is typically more important.

Reactions: mm9351
I lose 30 to 50 percent range in very cold weather in my 2020 S LR+. Preconditioning when plugged in before a drive really helps. Also, I schedule regular charging during the coldest part of the night to help keep the battery from getting as cold, and occasionally will turn on the car's heat, which also warms the battery, just to try to prevent the exteme cold impact on the battery longevity. Trying to keep the inactive battery warmer probably isn't effective, but just helps my emotions, as lithium batteries are supposed to tolerate extreme cold well, but just lose charging speed and useful range during the cold.

I lose 30 to 50 percent range in very cold weather in my 2020 S LR+. Preconditioning when plugged in before a drive really helps. Also, I schedule regular charging during the coldest part of the night to help keep the battery from getting as cold, and occasionally will turn on the car's heat, which also warms the battery, just to try to prevent the exteme cold impact on the battery longevity. Trying to keep the inactive battery warmer probably isn't effective, but just helps my emotions, as lithium batteries are supposed to tolerate extreme cold well, but just lose charging speed and useful range during the cold.

I don't think it could hurt. And a little extra electricity usage is far cheaper than battery replacement.

Thanks for the responses! I just turned on the climate control to warm things up including the battery (hopefully). I have the free SC charging plan for two years, so I always try that as my first option. I normally don't leave my vehicle plugged in while in my garage. On my app it now reads "battery heating for optimal performance" and will now run my home charger to keep capacity above 20%. Always a good idea to keep an eye on your Tesla app, especially if not driving it. Lesson learned.

The more you are “checkin-in” on app the more miles/percentage you are loosing. Especially in freezing weather. Just relax and precondition your car IF planning a drive. We have had past twenty days temperature around 1°F ( around -17°C) and it’s just fine if you preheat at least 45min in advance. You need to take account that lost energy, simple as that.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and mm9351
Perhaps it might be a good idea to install a small, forced-air heater in the garage near the Tesla? Thinking near / under the b-pillar as that would be the 'center' of the battery pack underneath the vehicle. It will not only preserve the battery life expectancy, but we might all see less range dropping. Just trying to keep the garage from going below freezing. Another benefit would be to better maintain the temperature in your home...since every time that garage 'inner door' opens the frigid air rushes in. Pre-conditioning drains even more battery power and could be an issue if the battery drops below 10%. Think I'm going to try this on the next cold snap. Here's a thought...maybe Tesla could market this 'auxiliary heater' that could optimally direct air flow in such a way to keep the battery thermally stable in frigid climates. And it could be used for other EV's as well.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
If it is plugged in, the Tesla should keep the battery safe from extreme cold. I do put an extra heater next to my Tesla when it is below 20F, but I think that is more for me than the battery. Also, if you turn climate on in the app, the battery heater will start and tell you it is heating the battery as well. I have done this when a spare heater is not available. This should be much more efficient, as you are just heating the car and not the whole garage.

• Informative
Y'all are really going off into the weeds here. Cold is not harming your battery, you don't need to put a heater in your garage. The chemical reactions are kind of "sluggish" when it's cold, so that's why the car shows you messages about how it is not at its best performance when it is cold, but it's not being harmed from sitting in cold temperatures.

Reactions: KalJoMoS