Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Indication on Full charge.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, new owner so please be gentle.

I've recently bought a new M3 RWD Highland and love her
One issue is range after a full charge.
On paper I thought she should show a little over 315 miles or so but charging her 3 times to 100% she only ever shows 272 miles, including the first charge when I got her home.
My efficiency is shown about 200, which I believe is about 5mpkw.
I drive gently and motorway speed is around 65mph.

Could this be a battery issue what do you guys think.

My Zoe's showed less range in winter, so could this just be a cold weather calculation and the fully charged range will go up in warmer weather.

Any help appreciated. What does your fully charged battery show as range on M3RWD Highland.

Solution
she should show a little over 315 miles or so but charging her 3 times to 100% she only ever shows 272 miles, including the first charge when I got her home.
The 315miles you’ve mentioned is WLTP and that was calculated using different constants including temperature and speed at 31mph. Also at the end they add a city cycle which increases the range.

The range you see fully charged in a Model 3 is EPA and that is 272, check the US website for EPAs. At the moment yours is showing the correct mileage range for that particular model.

There are few threads on EPA and WLTP if you want to know more.
200 is pretty good at this time of the year. Mine a 2024 Y...
she should show a little over 315 miles or so but charging her 3 times to 100% she only ever shows 272 miles, including the first charge when I got her home.
The 315miles you’ve mentioned is WLTP and that was calculated using different constants including temperature and speed at 31mph. Also at the end they add a city cycle which increases the range.

The range you see fully charged in a Model 3 is EPA and that is 272, check the US website for EPAs. At the moment yours is showing the correct mileage range for that particular model.

There are few threads on EPA and WLTP if you want to know more.
200 is pretty good at this time of the year. Mine a 2024 Y shows 240. The new model is more efficient than the previous ones.

Upvote 0
Solution
It’ll only ever show the EPA calculated range which is lower. (And more realistic) than the WLTP figure you’re referring to. Manufacturers are required by law to declare the WLTP figure but the car will never actually show it - but it can achieve it in summer in my experience - the range shown is a fixed calculation of the state of charge vs. A fixed efficiency and isn’t effected by your driving style which basically means it’s a guess, a more accurate calculation of range is in the energy tab.

Reactions: WatfordEV
Upvote 0
No not really, was really comparing with my previous Renault Zoe. A special reset would show 248 miles on the ZE50 which was the max range in ideal conditions etc, but obviously with weather and driving style that would drop that to, for me, 168 in winter and about 220 in summer as you used the car and did normal resets.
I couldn't see a way to do a battery range reset and was wondering where the extra miles had gone. I think the sales blurb at 319 miles had made me think that that figure should show on the range after a full charge. The thoughts of defective battery went through my head.,. Bad head.
But after the replies from helpful Tesla owners panic over.
With the supercharger network and speed of charge compared to Zoe's max 50kw/hr I'm really happy.

Upvote 0
No not really, was really comparing with my previous Renault Zoe. A special reset would show 248 miles on the ZE50 which was the max range in ideal conditions etc, but obviously with weather and driving style that would drop that to, for me, 168 in winter and about 220 in summer as you used the car and did normal resets.
I couldn't see a way to do a battery range reset and was wondering where the extra miles had gone. I think the sales blurb at 319 miles had made me think that that figure should show on the range after a full charge. The thoughts of defective battery went through my head.,. Bad head.
But after the replies from helpful Tesla owners panic over.
With the supercharger network and speed of charge compared to Zoe's max 50kw/hr I'm really happy.
Tesla do things differently from others with the guess o meter.
The car always displays its EPA tested range when charged, that is pretty fixed. They have to sell the car using the ridiculous WLTP test results that were designed I'm sure by the manufacturers just to make cars look good. Just look at hybrid mpg claims!

My new RWD M3 charges to 248. I suppose that's because I specced 19" wheels but amazingly I have been getting a range only a few miles off that recently which is brilliant. My early 2020 SR+ couldn't get close, even in summer.

Reactions: WatfordEV
Upvote 0