Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Tesla in Extreme Cold (SD, ND, MN, Canada) with 110V - Battery Heating Time at -20°C (-4°F)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey fellow Tesla owners and cold climate dwellers,

I'm reaching out to the community to gather some insights and experiences regarding charging a Tesla in extreme winter conditions, particularly in Canada or states like South Dakota (SD), North Dakota (ND), and Minnesota (MN). I recently got my Tesla and plan to use a 110V outlet for charging, but I'm curious about the challenges and practicalities of this setup in frigid temperatures.

My situation involves having an unheated detached garage where the temperature can drop as low as -20°C (-4°F). I'm interested in understanding how long it takes for the battery to heat up before actually adding miles when charging with a 110V outlet in such cold conditions.

Here are a few specific questions I have:
  1. Charging Time: For those of you who use a 110V outlet in similarly cold climates, how long does it typically take to charge your Tesla from, say, 0% to 80% or 100%?
  2. Battery Heating: How long does it take for the battery to warm up before you start gaining additional miles on your range in such cold temperatures?
  3. Tips and Tricks: Any tips or tricks you've discovered for optimizing charging efficiency and maintaining battery health in these extreme conditions?

I'm aware that extreme cold can affect battery performance, but I'm hoping to tap into the collective wisdom of Tesla owners who have navigated these challenges successfully. Your experiences will not only help me but also others facing similar winter charging scenarios.

I work remotely, resulting in a short daily commute, with the car primarily used on weekends. I was wondering, in extreme weather conditions, does the 110V outlet add miles, or does it solely maintain the car's battery heating? I don't mind if it takes a few hours to heat and then add miles.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and expertise
Just did this last week, in SK, at parents place. The UMC didn’t like their wiring to the jury-rigged 14-50. :(

Outdoors at -25C to -30C maintaining heat is all it’d do, below -30C it’ll eventually go ❄️ mode, but it’s still protected.

Even at -20C you’ll basically get no charging. But it’ll be warm enough to completely maintain charge, drive off at will in good shape.