Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zero Degree Battery Performance & Snow Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are we referring to pre-warming as in turning on the heater from the app, or is this preconditioning? As I understand it, the latter does warm the battery and uses power from wall, so the battery stays fully charged.

IMG-3416.jpg
Yes.

It will only warm the battery if it is below the regen limit and when it warms it, only to just aboce that limit.

My M3P heated the battery to ~ 6-7C
Lowest allowed temp for the heat pump to use the battery heat was 11-12C (it needed 17-18C to start use the heat and stopped at 11-12C).

MSP heats it to 4.25C, and the rest heat after stopping active heating make it reach ~5C.
The heat pump can use the battery heat down to 4C so no battery heat to heat pump from that either.

”And Warms the battery” is a little missleading.
Should say ”and maybe, but probably will not, heat the battery” as we need to have a cell tenp below the target to get the sctive battery heating to go off.

We have 1-2 inches of snow/ice on the roads in central Wisconsin right now due to our recent storm. I'm doing fine with my factory tires, but the extra weight of the vehicle does seem to make it slide more. The traction control and antilock breaks work well, but I think stopping would be much better with winter tires.
Here in rural Vermont my local town considers my road "plowed" if it has 2 or fewer inches of snow.

So I drive in 1~2 inches of snow a lot. With snow tires I haven't experienced the traction control or antilock breaks in snow at all (well, except in my driveway when I made them both trigger on purpose).

It is possible that is partly due to a difference in our driving styles not merely snow tires. Also if you are comfortable with what you have I'm not saying "snow tires are a must because..." just a rough guess at how much difference you can expect them to provide.