Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you satisfied with the range you get?

Is anyone besides me satisfied with the range they get in their MY?

• Yes

Votes: 49 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 14 22.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think I used the word "harm" in my post but okay, obviously the battery will still function normally just with shorter and shorter range. So in that sense it is harming range.

Going below 20% doesn't hurt Lithium Ion battery health. Going over 50-54% does, but not much unless you go over 80-90%.

One would tend to equate "hurt" and "harm"

Are you harming a battery by owning one? Of course not. Just owning a battery and letting it age will decrease the capacity.

There is a report on long term 100% charge storage, If I remember correctly, the degradation over a year was 7%.
BUT 3-4% of that was based on simple aging.

After about the first year, batteries will degrade to a certain level. Once they hit that level, they tend to stay close to that level for many years.

1714141194800.png

I suppose it depends on what one is used to — I started with a 70 mile range LEAF in 2011 and got really good at hypermiling and opportunity charging, especially in winter.

Now, coming from a short range S60 that was down to 166 RM after 164,000 miles, the range of my Y LR is terrific! Twice the range and quadruple the supercharging speed is making road trips a lot easier. I did more than 80,000 miles of long road trips in the S60 and really had to work at it. With the Y LR I have 14,000 miles on it in just over five months, with another 7000 mile road trip planned for next month.

My longest trip leg in the Y LR was 274 miles over the mountains, from about 94% to 3% just to get a feel for the range. But four hours on the road without a break is pushing it, so I prefer to keep trip legs to three and a half hours or less. The increasingly dense Supercharger network makes that simple in most parts of the country.

Increasing range:
LEAF and fuel source0738ed1sf 12-9-12.jpgModel S and fuel source1846crop 12-18-16.jpgModel Y and fuel source20231224sf_142654774.jpg

Reactions: Bouba and ewoodrick
Cars range is like my net worth: more than I need, less than I want. Its enough.

Driving around home I dont need to think about it. Once a week or whenever when it gets low I plug it in.

Driving on *real* road trips I plug when the car needs it, which is 1.5-2.5hr, or even 4hr at regional speeds (80-90km/h on national highways).

These are 1500mi roadtrips. What are you doing getting anxiety over 150mi trips haha.

Reactions: ewoodrick and Bouba