Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you satisfied with the range you get?

Is anyone besides me satisfied with the range they get in their MY?

• Yes

Votes: 49 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 14 22.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that many people complain that they don't get anywhere near the range that Tesla claims. 150 miles is the longest trip I've taken so far in my MYLR, and whenever I do a trip like this, I seem to get pretty close to the 310 mile estimated range - sometimes less, sometimes more, but never horribly less like may people experience. (I don't doubt these claims, I just wanted to share my experience).

Here's a recent drive: 122.6 miles which used 35.3% of the battery. If my math is correct, that's 347 miles I could have gotten from 100% of the battery. About half of this drive was on an interstate highway, 75mph tops, the rest was on local roads in stop and go traffic. It was a 75 degree day, but my cold weather range is not significantly less.

My lifetime Wh/mi is 219.

So just for the fun of it, is anyone else satisfied with their range?

20240409T175632.jpg

Reactions: Kupe
I see a lot of complaints here about people not getting good range even in good weather. But there must be other factors at play, like driving style.
Clearly. Speed is the major factor that affects range. The faster you drive the worse your range.

Reactions: Kupe
I know that many people complain that they don't get anywhere near the range that Tesla claims. 150 miles is the longest trip I've taken so far in my MYLR, and whenever I do a trip like this, I seem to get pretty close to the 310 mile estimated range - sometimes less, sometimes more, but never horribly less like may people experience. (I don't doubt these claims, I just wanted to share my experience).

Here's a recent drive: 122.6 miles which used 35.3% of the battery. If my math is correct, that's 347 miles I could have gotten from 100% of the battery. About half of this drive was on an interstate highway, 75mph tops, the rest was on local roads in stop and go traffic. It was a 75 degree day, but my cold weather range is not significantly less.

View attachment 1038380
im typically 1.5 to 4% down after 17 months and 13K miles of ownership, amazing
my dam iphone 14 cannot do that, its down 15% in almost the same time period, Apple should be sued, glad I get a free phone every other year

I see a lot of complaints here about people not getting good range even in good weather.
Having been here since 2018, one of the things people love to complain about here the most is "range'.

In fact, no matter what the original intent of this thread is, I will be extremely surprised if it does not eventually devolve into a bunch of people complaining about range, "tesla lies" or some other such thing.

Reactions: Peter N
Having been here since 2018, one of the things people love to complain about here the most is "range'.

In fact, no matter what the original intent of this thread is, I will be extremely surprised if it does not eventually devolve into a bunch of people complaining about range, "tesla lies" or some other such thing.
Which is exactly why I wanted to show that I get the advertised range, and to see if others do too. So far, it looks good.

If 150 miles is the furthest that you've been, then it is hard for you to comment on travel range. Have you not had the car that long? Do you take another vehicle when going on road trips?
At 150 miles, you've never come close to having to stop along the way to charge.

Now might be sounding negative, I'm definitely not. But 150 miles doesn't even come close to solving range anxiety.

I've been from Atlanta to Chicago and Atlanta to the Key, From the east coast to beyond the Mississippi. Even back when I got my early Model 3, I was able to go where I wanted to. But 6 years of Supercharging building means that I have seen so many Superchargers built out. What was once three on my trip to Orlando is not over a dozen.

Get out and do at least a day trip! 150 miles is nothing.

Reactions: KJD
If 150 miles is the furthest that you've been, then it is hard for you to comment on travel range. Have you not had the car that long? Do you take another vehicle when going on road trips?
At 150 miles, you've never come close to having to stop along the way to charge.

Now might be sounding negative, I'm definitely not. But 150 miles doesn't even come close to solving range anxiety.

I've been from Atlanta to Chicago and Atlanta to the Key, From the east coast to beyond the Mississippi. Even back when I got my early Model 3, I was able to go where I wanted to. But 6 years of Supercharging building means that I have seen so many Superchargers built out. What was once three on my trip to Orlando is not over a dozen.

Get out and do at least a day trip! 150 miles is nothing.
I've had the car a little over 2 years. This is my only vehicle, and 150 miles is the most I've driven in one day. I guess I don't get around much. ;)
I'm assuming that if I got the range that I do on 150 miles, that I'd get about the same on the next 150 - if I was doing a 300 mile drive.

I've had the car a little over 2 years. This is my only vehicle, and 150 miles is the most I've driven in one day. I guess I don't get around much. ;)
I'm assuming that if I got the range that I do on 150 miles, that I'd get about the same on the next 150 - if I was doing a 300 mile drive.
You got to get out and see the country. I do day trips that are longer than 150 miles.

But you've got to go at least 300 miles to have idea what travelling in a Tesla is like.

I went into it knowing that the car was unlikely to hit the EPA range rating unless it's in absolutely perfect conditions. I think the best range I've ever observed from my car was probably around 250 miles on a full charge. While that's quite a bit below the 303 mile EPA estimated range (in 2021), it's also a lot more than what I need each day, so I've never had an issue with it. The 3 or 4 long trips (300+ miles) have been enjoyable as I found that I enjoyed the charging stops.

I’ve had my MYLR with 19” Gemini wheels for a couple of weeks, today was the first trip beyond just in town. I left the house this morning with 97% and arrived home with 43% after 164 miles mostly highway at 65 mph or 70 mph. Seems like 164 miles on 54% is about what I should be getting. The math works out to 303 miles for 100%, based on what I read I was expecting about 280 in real world driving. I wasn’t driving with a lead foot, most of the miles were actually FSD with accelerates harder than I usually do.

I went into it knowing that the car was unlikely to hit the EPA range rating unless it's in absolutely perfect conditions. I think the best range I've ever observed from my car was probably around 250 miles on a full charge. While that's quite a bit below the 303 mile EPA estimated range (in 2021), it's also a lot more than what I need each day, so I've never had an issue with it. The 3 or 4 long trips (300+ miles) have been enjoyable as I found that I enjoyed the charging stops.
The car will absolutely meet the EPA numbers. But the EPA numbers are not "driving at 70 mph"
70 mph is a smaller portion of the EPA testing because it's a small amount of the average daily driving.

I'm happy with the range in my '23 MYLR. I work from home and there are days when it doesn't leave the garage at all so I might have a different perspective if I had a long commute. But, I bought it knowing my driving habits (which aren't any different now than when I had my previous ICE SUV) and expected that an EV would work well for me. I did have range anxiety when I first got it but now I don't even really think about it knowing that I'll get routed to a supercharger if necessary. And, being the planner/preparer that I am, I have a couple of adapters plus the mobile connector in the car in case of a charging emergency.

Reactions: ewoodrick
I will never be satisfied with the range of any Tesla I own, until 400 miles it the norm. Doesn't matter that I don't need the range, I just don't want to charge up more frequently during long trips and end up paying more at Supercharging stations. Plus, if 400 miles becomes the norm then it will encourage more ICE drivers to go electric. Then their only complaint will be that it takes too long to charge up fully. lol