Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you satisfied with the range you get?

Is anyone besides me satisfied with the range they get in their MY?

• Yes

Votes: 49 76.6%
  • No

Votes: 15 23.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About half of this drive was on an interstate highway, 75mph tops, the rest was on local roads in stop and go traffic. It was a 75 degree day
If my memory serves that's a reasonable approximation of the EPA test, so it's not surprising you're getting close to rated range.

My daily drive pattern gives me pretty close to rated ranges too.

On road trips--specifically driving to see family in Atlanta, 90% interstate at 75, I see more like 210mi range. But the charge stops coming and going are a reasonable distance and basically at our bathroom range limit anyway. I have no range complaints, but I'm not sure I'd want a shorter range vehicle either.

Reactions: ewoodrick
I will never be satisfied with the range of any Tesla I own, until 400 miles it the norm. Doesn't matter that I don't need the range, I just don't want to charge up more frequently during long trips and end up paying more at Supercharging stations. Plus, if 400 miles becomes the norm then it will encourage more ICE drivers to go electric. Then their only complaint will be that it takes too long to charge up fully. lol
Solved, next issue?
1713458861116.png

Yes, I know the Model S gets in the 400 mile range but that's only for the Model S Dual Motor AWD and not the norm for the other Tesla models/variants or even other EV's. If all EV's got at least 400 miles of range, you'd see a lot more ICE owners switching to an EV.

While that may be your number, Tesla's research has found 300 miles to be the number that they are using.

What is the true range of any Tesla? At least 4,000 miles, because they can all (except for early Roadster) can got sea to sea.

People NEVER (okay very rarely) bought an ICE based upon the vehicles range. Most actually had no idea what their vehicle's range is.

Tesla Superchargers, as well as other DCFC and L2 charge are coming so prevalent that it really doesn't matter. And that's only going to get better.

Gas stations are about to become ecological disasters with all the fuel that sits underground when the station closes down.

I'm a new MYLR owner, and am so far getting about the range I expected. I'm between homes so have been supercharging, which is incredibly easy, and kind of fun. Drive through, plug in, eat, and the car is done (at a 250kw charger).

While that may be your number, Tesla's research has found 300 miles to be the number that they are using.

What is the true range of any Tesla? At least 4,000 miles, because they can all (except for early Roadster) can got sea to sea.
Yes, I know this but Tesla using 300 miles because it's a balance between range and costs. And no, the true range of any Tesla is not 4,000 miles. You knew I was talking about miles per 100% state of charge. But I'll say it again, 400 miles is needed because EV's lose significantly more range due to battery degradation and losing power when not used. And while Tesla warranties the battery if the health gets lower than 70%, that 300 miles becomes less than 210 miles. ICE vehicles don't lose that much range as they age and lose no range just sitting around. ICE drivers will never accept less than a solid 300 miles. With all that said, as battery technology improves and costs come down, range will increase. And it's at that point more ICE drivers will be buying EV's.

75-80 mph
That's where you burn electrons. E=mc² and aerodynamic loss also varies with the square of the velocity.

10% more speed = 21% more power to push you through the air for 10% less time.

20% more speed becomes 44% more.power for 20% less time.

Or thereabouts.

How valuable is your time?

Most of my driving is toddling along at 50 to 60k. In traffic I can generally keep up 25k or 35k depending how heavy without needing to brake. It will be interesting to see how that translates to wattage consumption. You don't read much about urban route milage.

If I am not doing the airport run I am climbing some pretty steep hills at constant speed and expect massive regen benefits from those runs.

All told I think I might return some pretty exceptional milage until going out on our course highways at 100 clicks. Then the chipseal may well play havoc. The Kiwi contingent have been less than forthcoming with those stats.

My M3LR gets the EPA range without problem.....is it enough is another question....the answer is so far yes...the car gets me where I need to go no matter how far. Obviously there is a little planning and thought...the longer the range the less I’d have to think about it. If charging to 100% was acceptable and if Sentry Mode wasn’t so power hungry (which I believe they are working on) that would help. If the app could always put the necessary charge in the car at home without any input from me...that would be one less thing to think about

Reactions: ewoodrick
My poll and post title really should have been "Are you getting close to the advertised range?" - that's what I really wanted to know. Being satisfied with the car is an entirely different issue, and so very subjective. Sorry for not being clearer in my question.

My poll and post title really should have been "Are you getting close to the advertised range?" - that's what I really wanted to know.
When I had my 2018 LR Model 3 it got the advertised range for the first year, and obviously due to calendar aging and my charging habits it became less and less. With my 2023 Model Y Performance it gets more than the advertised range because I put an 18" wheel package on it, just to increase the range. Well, and for a better ride, more curb protection, and better looks.

That's where you burn electrons. E=mc² and aerodynamic loss also varies with the square of the velocity.

10% more speed = 21% more power to push you through the air for 10% less time.

20% more speed becomes 44% more.power for 20% less time.

Or thereabouts.

How valuable is your time?

Most of my driving is toddling along at 50 to 60k. In traffic I can generally keep up 25k or 35k depending how heavy without needing to brake. It will be interesting to see how that translates to wattage consumption. You don't read much about urban route milage.

If I am not doing the airport run I am climbing some pretty steep hills at constant speed and expect massive regen benefits from those runs.

All told I think I might return some pretty exceptional milage until going out on our course highways at 100 clicks. Then the chipseal may well play havoc. The Kiwi contingent have been less than forthcoming with those stats.
I understand the math, but if you’re going much under 75 on a 70 speed limit road, you’ll get run over and piss a lot of folks off. Angry tailgaiters are everywhere.

Pray tell! I can't find anything in 255 50 18 and want to keep the diameter stock standard. Looking very like stuck with 19's.
I bought a wheel package from TSportLine right after I got my Model Y. A little expensive but they came ready to mount, which me like maybe 30 minutes. While the 21" wheels that came with my Performance car look good, they are heavy and have rubber band tires (which I can't stand), and they are different sizes front to back so you can only rotate them side to side. Now I all my wheels are the same size so I can do a proper rotation. And I think they just look way better with beefier tires.

In the picture from left to right, stock rear, stock front and then the TSportLine 18".

1713749598810.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, I know this but Tesla using 300 miles because it's a balance between range and costs. And no, the true range of any Tesla is not 4,000 miles. You knew I was talking about miles per 100% state of charge. But I'll say it again, 400 miles is needed because EV's lose significantly more range due to battery degradation and losing power when not used. And while Tesla warranties the battery if the health gets lower than 70%, that 300 miles becomes less than 210 miles. ICE vehicles don't lose that much range as they age and lose no range just sitting around. ICE drivers will never accept less than a solid 300 miles. With all that said, as battery technology improves and costs come down, range will increase. And it's at that point more ICE drivers will be buying EV's.

Your opinion of Tesla batteries seems to be very bleak and unrealistic.

The number of Model 3 or Model Y batteries that have been replaces because of the capacity is less than 70% is extremely low. Matter of fact, most older Model 3s are only in the neighborhood of 10% at this point.
I'm not sure how much my car loses when sitting around, but it is so low that I don't think about it. It's maybe 1% per day.
If you are referring to vehicles with Sentry Mode on, that's a different thing.

Most ICE drivers have no idea what their range is.

I just took a look at a Mustang.
14 mpg city/ 22 mpg hwy/ 17 mpg combined*
Fuel Capacity16

17*16 = 272 miles
I guess no one buys a Mustang.

Reactions: dino007
I understand the math, but if you’re going much under 75 on a 70 speed limit road, you’ll get run over and piss a lot of folks off. Angry tailgaiters are everywhere.
That's a slight exaggeration. Because we all know that there are trucks and other vehicles that go less than 70 mph.

But there's nothing saying that you can't do it in an EV. It's actually part of a strategy on the fastest way to get to your destination in a Tesla.

Your opinion of Tesla batteries seems to be very bleak and unrealistic.
I'm not trying to be bleak but I am being realistic. And yes I know it's very rare for Tesla to replace a degraded battery pack under warranty, even though I know of a few. I'm not worried about that issue. But range is the first question non EV owners ask me. It doesn't matter to them if they don't need a huge amount of range for daily driving, and that they probably don't even know the range of their ICE vehicles. I have a friend that recently bought a plug in Hybrid and said the EV side cost him almost as much as gas. When I said that I have not experienced that he kept insisting EV's don't have money on charging. Didn't matter to him that Tesla EV's are way more efficient than the electric side of his hybrid. Also have a relative that said he would never get an EV because you can't go many places, like the desert to charge. Even though he never drives out into the desert. The perception to them is that EV's don't have a big enough range and the only thing that would convince them is a base number of at least 400 miles on all EV's. Then they actually might find other benefits, like filling up at home while you are sleeping and less vehicle maintenance.

Honestly, I think ideally EVs should be ideally in the 400-600 miles range (depending on the car type / use case, but GM & Lucid are getting the ranges right) because the EV state of battery should be 20%-80%, so no good to use the last 20% of the range, no good to go below 20% of the range, only actually 60% to work with which is 198 miles assuming on the Long Range Model Y without any battery degradation, HVAC running etc, but closer to 160ish in my experience which isn't a lot of range tbh.

I rather Tesla start bumping their specs like putting more range to try to capture more consumers than price cut tbh, that's my 2 cents & user experience.