Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Homelink question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried both? With the standard remote in one car and homelink in the second? I heard that the code changes every time it's used and that's why you can't use two different remotes, but it would be nice if that was incorrect...

Most home link buttons are actually deactivated when the car is off for that reason.

I'm glad some car makers do it that way. Mine is always active regardless. My car is parked on the other side of the house so it's not a problem and it wouldn't be a problem if you parked in the garage. But it's something that bugs me.

Has anyone tried both? With the standard remote in one car and homelink in the second? I heard that the code changes every time it's used and that's why you can't use two different remotes, but it would be nice if that was incorrect...

I have two remotes and a Homelink. They all work--even if I only use the Homelink occasionally (once every few months compared to every day for the other remotes).

Most home link buttons are actually deactivated when the car is off for that reason. All of my vehicles have home link, and none are activated when the vehicle is off. It can actually be an annoyance, for instance, when you pull into your garage at night, shut down your car, then reach to close the garage door with the home link...Yikes...gotta turn the accessories back on to get the button to work...

I have a Lexus where you can use the homelink buttons without the key in the ACC position or for that matter even in the ignition...I know on Mercedes-Benz auto's that you need the key in the ACC position (if you do not have keyless go) to be able to use homelink.

Here's the reply I received from Tesla's Customer Advocate:

>>Homelink will only be available as part of the Tech Package on Model S, we are unable to separate the individual options of the tech package on a standalone basis. The good news is that the Tech package will also add many other convenience features including xenon headlights, on board navigation and electrochromatic side mirrors.<<

I searched a couple of other places and found this link to be pretty good about installing Homelink for low cost:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=270476

Anyone have any insights how best to do this on a Tesla, I'd really hope this isn't something that could invalidate the warranty!
Of course, the best news would be if Tesla recognized the importance of homelink, particularly to women drivers and included this on all models, even if a phantom arrangement like the Roadster link above

Cheers

I did write to my Tesla Customer Advocate and received 2 emails back, both nice reply's, but basically saying no chance:

To initial inquiry:
Homelink will only be available as part of the Tech Package on Model S, we are unable to separate the individual options of the tech package on a standalone basis. The good news is that the Tech package will also add many other convenience features including xenon headlights, on board navigation and electrochromatic side mirrors.

Follow up:
I’ll send you comments along, sorry to hear you are disappointed. It’s very unlikely at this time that the options would be unbundled. The way our manufacturing process is set up won’t really allow for customization of the packages.

I so hope the Roadster forum link above is true - my wife and I think most women in particular will be very happy not having to search around for multiple old fashioned remote controls. I really think this is very short sighted, or profit taking on Tesla's part.

Meanwhile, this link to a VW forum, shows a low cost workaround using a $40 homelink part - any ideas as to best place to incorporate on the S?:

It seems Tesla folk do read these forums, so please post your support for including Homelink in all versions.

I did write to my Tesla Customer Advocate and received 2 emails back, both nice reply's, but basically saying no chance:

To initial inquiry:

Follow up:

I so hope the Roadster forum link above is true - my wife and I think most women in particular will be very happy not having to search around for multiple old fashioned remote controls. I really think this is very short sighted, or profit taking on Tesla's part.

Meanwhile, this link to a VW forum, shows a low cost workaround using a $40 homelink part - any ideas as to best place to incorporate on the S?:

It seems Tesla folk do read these forums, so please post your support for including Homelink in all versions.

Chances are the homelink hardware will be present on all Model S' but the option will be locked out by the software.

Figured instead of starting a new thread I'd just update this one and ask. Has anyone else been unable, like myself, to get HomeLink to work with their S? I can go through the programming procedure completely, having the car recognize my remote, flash the headlights, press the learn button on the opener and then having the car say "complete" but it won't open the door. It works fine in my Roadster and the Lexus. I've tried every combination of the car inside and outside of the garage while programming. I've tried pressing the learn button on the opener first then having the car learn the remote. Every attempt has the car think it programs correctly but the door won't open. So far Tesla hasn't been much help. I've sent them the link to the online manual for the pretty generic Genie Excelerator unit I have. Figured I'd see if anyone else on here is having the same problem.

I finally got it to work. I was almost about to give up for good when I remembered I have two identical handheld remotes for the garage. Everything I tried so far was with one of the remotes. This time I figured I'd try the other one and presto, it worked on the first try. I can't tell you why one worked and the other didn't (they both open and close the garage perfectly). So the moral to the story is, if you can't get the S to work properly with your garage, try a different remote.

I finally got it to work. I was almost about to give up for good when I remembered I have two identical handheld remotes for the garage. Everything I tried so far was with one of the remotes. This time I figured I'd try the other one and presto, it worked on the first try. I can't tell you why one worked and the other didn't (they both open and close the garage perfectly). So the moral to the story is, if you can't get the S to work properly with your garage, try a different remote.

Battery in one of them is weaker than in the other. It'll send the signal to your garage opener, but holding the button down for 3 or 4 seconds probably runs the battery down to almost nothing so the car couldn't recognize it.

BTW, mine was smooth, easy and simple. I sat in the car, the DS pressed the buttons and the whole process took maybe 20 seconds.

I can find nothing on how the Homelink is configured. Is there a limit on how many remotes can be programmed? I saw a reference somewhere that the remotes displayed could be keyed to the GPS location. That would be sweet for those of us with multiple residences. But at the very least would like to be able to configure which of the remotes are to be active. When in one location, don't need the other.

I can find nothing on how the Homelink is configured. Is there a limit on how many remotes can be programmed?

Homelink can be programmed for three devices. I don't know why that's the limit on the Model S because it's in software (on most implementations it's limit because there are only three physical buttons) but I've never seen a Homelink with more than three.

Homelink can be programmed for three devices. I don't know why that's the limit on the Model S because it's in software (on most implementations it's limit because there are only three physical buttons) but I've never seen a Homelink with more than three.

I think it is a licensing issue (money) since you're right, there is no reason why there couldn't be more than 3.

Last edited:
Are Homelink bugs still present for recent car recipients?

Has anyone receiving their car been unable to get Homelink to work after some fiddling or help from tech support?

I wouldn't lay blame with home link....it's the sheer number of devices and makers. It may be tricky in some cases, but I'd bet there's only about 2% or less that won't have any success (my guess).

I wouldn't lay blame with home link....it's the sheer number of devices and makers. It may be tricky in some cases, but I'd bet there's only about 2% or less that won't have any success (my guess).

The 2% is probably about right for total failures. However, the it takes multiple retries is more like 60%. Once you've done it once for your particular garage, it's much easier the second time. Hopefully that won't be until the battery is replaced many years from now.