Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink retrofit install failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed the module this weekend and same experience as others, which I expected. Also just updated to 2024.8.4 tonight but still the same error message after that. Planning to stop by a service center next time I'm in that area and hope I get a nice person to help.
Thanks for testing it out on 2024.8.x. I was hoping it would work again with a new software branch…

Hi everyone
Tried the service mode plus for one hour to activate the homelink.
But no luck, it didn’t worked. Still same error message.
Like said in a previous post, I tried some « self-test ». Tried to deconnect then reconnect. Tried also to apply homelink retrofit from toolbox. All of them gave me an error message.
But it doesn’t mean that’s not possible except for rangers.
It may mean that I don’t found the proper process to activate the homelink retrofit via service mode plus.
Or it may mean that my homelink is not compatible.

Reactions: PoitNarf
Hi everyone
Like said in a previous post, I tried some « self-test ». Tried to deconnect then reconnect. Tried also to apply homelink retrofit from toolbox. All of them gave me an error message.
It may mean that I don’t found the proper process to activate the homelink retrofit via service mode plus.
Just curious if you tried it with the retrofit button on the screen or did you try it in one of the procedures? I don't know myself but just curious which one you tried? Do you by chance have the screenshots?

What update did they send? What update did you ask for? Also, what firmware are you on? Thanks!
No idea what update they sent. My software version was 2024.2.7 before and after the update. They sent me a message in the app to check in to service appointment and then they sent something to the car and told me to wait 5 minutes and check and then I could see the Homelink module was activated when I checked the service menu. It seems this is a bit of a gray area and some SC's are trying to help out whether or not they are officially supposed to.

No idea what update they sent. My software version was 2024.2.7 before and after the update. They sent me a message in the app to check in to service appointment and then they sent something to the car and told me to wait 5 minutes and check and then I could see the Homelink module was activated when I checked the service menu. It seems this is a bit of a gray area and some SC's are trying to help out whether or not they are officially supposed to.
Thank you for confirming.
Yes, that's exactly what the tech told me "We can activate remotely". It seems like they are pushing a portion of the config over the air w/o any issues.

• Informative
Reactions: ag21
Just curious if you tried it with the retrofit button on the screen or did you try it in one of the procedures? I don't know myself but just curious which one you tried? Do you by chance have the screenshots?
If you mean the retrofit methods where we use the car monitor to run the retrofit or using the Toolbox app, I tried both.
And both gave me the same errors.
Was expecting to get more details on the error from the Toolbox, but no additional data.
We can just see all the retrofit tries in the history of the car maintenance task.
And sorry, didn't took the time to take screenshots. Had only 1h to try the retrofit, couple of things were not working before being able to enter in service mode plus (connectivity issues with toolbox), so wanted to focus on the retrofit. And tried multiple things until the last second my account token expired.

• Helpful
Reactions: sparkywatts
If you mean the retrofit methods where we use the car monitor to run the retrofit or using the Toolbox app, I tried both.
And both gave me the same errors.
Was expecting to get more details on the error from the Toolbox, but no additional data.
We can just see all the retrofit tries in the history of the car maintenance task.
And sorry, didn't took the time to take screenshots. Had only 1h to try the retrofit, couple of things were not working before being able to enter in service mode plus (connectivity issues with toolbox), so wanted to focus on the retrofit. And tried multiple things until the last second my account token expired.
That is disappointing unfortunately. I was hoping it would work in Service Mode Plus. Not sure why Tesla is making it so hard for people to install something especially if it's OEM module but thank you for reporting back, appreciate it unless someone has got it working with service mode plus or know which procedures to run.

So they are installable, and some people say that Service+ doesn't work. So there is more going on here than what is immediately evident to us. I wish Tesla would just go ahead and publish their policy on this.
They seem to be limited gateway changes to having an internal toolbox token. Hard to say if it's deliberate or a side effect of some recent security changes.

Purchased Homelink module, bracket, and bolt from my nearest service center yesterday for my '23 MY running 2024.2.2.1. Hardware installation was simple, but got the error when I went to enable it in the service menu. Scheduled service through the app, explained what happened, mobile service is scheduled for Tuesday morning at no cost.

Reactions: richyrich and ag21
Purchased Homelink module, bracket, and bolt from my nearest service center yesterday for my '23 MY running 2024.2.2.1. Hardware installation was simple, but got the error when I went to enable it in the service menu. Scheduled service through the app, explained what happened, mobile service is scheduled for Tuesday morning at no cost.

I've got a mobile service appointment for April 1 at the moment, same thing with $0 estimated charge showing. Hoping it all works out!

Reactions: zroger73
I've had the Homelink retrofit in our MY for a year now and love it, so I went ahead and purchased a new module off of eBay for my new M3 despite knowing it would likely fail and I'd have to hope that Tesla would fix it despite installing it myself. I made a mobile appointment, and when they asked for more details, I explained it to them, sent a photo of the failure message screen and explained that they should be able to update the configuration remotely. Within a hour or two they messaged back saying they updated the configuration, and now, it works. They closed the service request once I confirmed. YMMW.

I had an appointment with Tesla Mobile Service today to activate the Homelink device I installed. I was quoted $53.60 aftes tax, but was actually only charged $11 plus state tax. It took under 3 minutes for Mobile Service to complete.
I have physically moved the module from my 2021 Y to our new 2024 Y. Getting the same Failure as everyone here.
Have setup a service appointment. Tesla sends me an estimate for $236+ tax

• Informative
Reactions: ag21
Can I ask what you paid for these parts are from the Tesla service center without any installation costs?
I drove 31 miles to the nearest (tiny) Tesla service center Friday afternoon, walked in, and said I'd like to order a Homelink module, bracket, and bolt for my Model Y. I gave the part numbers to the employee and to my surprise, he said he had everything in stock. I was expecting to pay $200 for the module, $30 for the bracket, and a few cents for the bolt. He disappeared for a few minutes then came back and said, "Great news! The three parts now come together as a kit, so it'll just be $200 instead of $230." I think he was wrong, but I wasn't going to argue with him over something that worked in my favor. I paid $200+tax for all three parts. The module was the only part that appeared on the invoice.

Everything went fine until I went to enable it in software. I figured I was out of luck, but surprised to receive a $0.00 estimate after requesting service. The mobile tech is scheduled to arrive in the morning - we'll see how this ends.

1711397550350.png

Last edited:
Hi everyone
Could you explain how you entered Service Mode Plus by yourself? Thanks!