Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Firmware Bug Confirmed By Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Utumno

2 x Model Y LR (2022 Q2 & 2023 Q3)
Mar 26, 2022
Buckinghamshire, UK
I recently had Homelink installed in our 2023 Model Y by a Tesla Ranger, to match the Homelink module I had installed in our other (2022) Model Y.

It's never worked despite all the hardware being correctly installed, and Tesla have just confirmed that the Homelink module is affected by a firmware bug confirmed as being introduced in 2023.44.1. The 2022 Model Y is running 2023.38.9, and Homelink functionality is just fine.

This completely non-functioning Homelink issue may well be only for newly fitted Homelink modules, so "buyer beware". There are other reports of folks upgrading to 2023.44.1 and having variable Homelink functionality come and go with already-existing pairings to Homelink devices.

So this is just a heads up to those with Homelink modules; don't order one if you're on 2023.44.1 until the firmware is fixed, because it won't work. And if you upgrade a vehicle to 2023.44.1 with existing Homelink configured, bear in mind it might well be buggy until the firmware is fixed.

I'll update this thread with more info as I get it; i've decided not to go the refund route immediately, but if a few cycles of firmware updates next year result in the module still being broken I shall press for a refund.

I can confirm this affects pre-existing Homelink installations as well. Our 2019 M3P has had Homelink since late 2019 and following the installation of 2023.44.1 the Homelink prompt randomly disappears from the car menu. It was unavailable yesterday but worked this morning.

• Informative
Reactions: Utumno
I’ve got a first-off-the-boat model Y and had Homelink installed the next week. Those symptoms (Homelink disappearing randomly) have been ongoing for a few months for me.

I thought we stopped the boats? :D

I've had no issue in circa 4 years prior to now. Have you tried going into Service Mode to see if you can see the status of the Homelink module?

Mine was green across the board.

Reactions: Utumno
I thought we stopped the boats? :D

I've had no issue in circa 4 years prior to now. Have you tried going into Service Mode to see if you can see the status of the Homelink module?

Mine was green across the board.
Mine is green across the board in service mode too, in both Y’s.

The 2022 model’s Homelink is bulletproof reliable, the 2023 model’s Homelink has never worked.

If anyone has noticed improvements in 2023.44.30.1 (the holiday update this year) I’d be very glad to hear it.

Our 2022 MY is on 2023.38.9 with no updates pending, so I do wonder whether 2023.44.1 got pulled from GA…

Fingers crossed the 2023 Y gets 44.30 pushed to it soonish, I’ll report back if they fixed it for me, though I doubt it

Mine is green across the board in service mode too, in both Y’s.

The 2022 model’s Homelink is bulletproof reliable, the 2023 model’s Homelink has never worked.

If anyone has noticed improvements in 2023.44.30.1 (the holiday update this year) I’d be very glad to hear it.

Our 2022 MY is on 2023.38.9 with no updates pending, so I do wonder whether 2023.44.1 got pulled from GA…

Fingers crossed the 2023 Y gets 44.30 pushed to it soonish, I’ll report back if they fixed it for me, though I doubt it
2023.44.30.4 just got pushed and installed, and the Homelink button is available! Too wet out at the moment to futz with it, but first signs of a fix are promising!

I am on .30.5.1 and Hinelink no longer works from inside my garage.. It works fine going IN but it seems leaving since it is covered and underground it no longer knows the cart location and doesnt opoen the gate unless I do it manualkly.

Tesla changed how it handles location and it broke some things in the process. The "location" of ny car in the app is now not in the right place also,., it shows it nearby.... I dont know what they did but its a mess

I just installed the Homelink retrofit but it does not work. I keep getting "Authorization" issue when I try to run the Homelink retrofit module in service menu. Maybe Tesla has deliberately blocked DIY installs for Homelink. Not sure.

I just installed the Homelink retrofit but it does not work. I keep getting "Authorization" issue when I try to run the Homelink retrofit module in service menu. Maybe Tesla has deliberately blocked DIY installs for Homelink. Not sure.
Tried DIY install today and had same issue as you. Bummer if Tesla will invalidate all DIY installs.

I installed a previously installed Homelink on my 2024 MYLR on January 30th, 2024. I initially purchased the module on eBay and installed it in my then 2023 MYLR in November 2023. Both times it worked flawlessly…I hope big brother doesn’t lock self installed modules.

Same here just tried to install homelink on my 2023 M3P and got the same authorization issue and I am on the 2024.2.2.1
I removed the homelink and did the retrofit process on screen to see what the error message will show up as and it was the same error message.