Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 powered trunk retrofit causing intermittent cabin climate control system failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently, our Model 3 HVAC stopped working (no airflow at all) and the display showed the error “Cabin climate control system requires service. Cabin heating/cooling limited or unavailable.” After a few minutes, it started working again so I ignored it. The next day the error occurred again but lasted longer so I took the car to our local service center. Their diagnosis seemed peculiar so I thought I’d share it to see if anyone else is having this specific problem. I searched this forum but couldn't find this specific fault with the corresponding cause.

A necessary bit of background here is that our Model 3 is a 2019 and did not come with a powered trunk. I had the Tesla powered trunk retrofit installed at our service center and it has worked well for several months.

The service technician’s diagnosis is the climate control error was caused by an interaction between the powered trunk retrofit and the cabin climate control system. The specific wording in the repair invoice is “After reviewing the logs, it was determined that this issue is a known characteristic of the current firmware. In order to mitigate the issue, we will need to disconnect the trunk power strut temporarily, until the new software update is released.”

I tried to get more info about this but the best I could make out is that the two systems share wiring and the powered trunk retrofit may be sending erroneous signals to the climate control system. He said that Tesla will eventually release a software update to resolve the problem. But in the meantime, they would need to disable the powered trunk retrofit, which is a bummer since I paid Tesla $880 to install it. Also, since this is a fairly uncommon error, it could be a long time before Tesla issues a software update to fix it.

On the good side, I was surprised to see that some of the powered trunk retrofit functionality remains, even after being disabled. I can still open the powered trunk using the UI or the mobile app and I can still close the trunk using the button added to the trunk. I just can't close the trunk using the UI or the mobile app which I rarely do.

Has anyone else with the Model 3 powered trunk retrofit seen this specific issue with their cabin climate control system?

Climate Control Error.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Scelto
I’ve been dealing with this since March 1st and it’s been at the service center 3 times. They keep replacing the control arm and the issue persist. I’m so frustrated because I told them about the trunk retrofit being the issue and they ignored it.

• Informative
Reactions: spsheridan
I’ve been dealing with this since March 1st and it’s been at the service center 3 times. They keep replacing the control arm and the issue persist. I’m so frustrated because I told them about the trunk retrofit being the issue and they ignored it.
You've had the very same issue with the powered trunk retrofit causing intermittent faults with your HVAC system? It's odd that it just started happening even though I got the retrofit 3 months ago. Maybe the error was introduced with a recent software update. How long have you had your retrofit?

Yes, I had (past tense because I traded in my car for a 2024 Highland refresh) the exact same issue as OP. Climate control would stop blowing. First noted in Dec, 23 and they replaced a blower motor. In Jan, happened again and same issue in Feb. After 4th time into service, SC said they can not duplicate it, but a few days later, no HVAC fan. I have an early 2020 SR+, with a the power trunk retrofit (added last summer). I agree with spsheridan, a recent update probably caused this, as my system was fine from last summer until December. Also, you may notice high standby power consumption, due to lots of PCS_a022 notices.

• Informative
I've been watching this thread, considering myself lucky this hasn't bitten me yet (upgrade installed 12/23). Until this morning. The 2024.3.10 update finally caused both the HVAC and not charging errors. Thanks to this thread, I knew what it was and went to my SC (I go to a good one) armed with the link. My SA laughed and said they don't trust forums much. While I generally agree, I do use one filter to get close to reality: more than one person has the issue and got it (albeit temporarily) fixed the same way. That said, the issue in is the Tesla knowledgebase, so hopefully the permanent SW fix won't be long. It's a non-issue that I cannot close the trunk from the screen, nor use the app to open or close it. I generally don't use it that way anyhow. The only mild PIA is I have to drive back up there and have them reconnect the connector they disconnected this morning.

Overall, this could be worse.

Thanks again to this group for the info!

😎

• Informative
I've been watching this thread, considering myself lucky this hasn't bitten me yet (upgrade installed 12/23). Until this morning. The 2024.3.10 update finally caused both the HVAC and not charging errors. Thanks to this thread, I knew what it was and went to my SC (I go to a good one) armed with the link. My SA laughed and said they don't trust forums much. While I generally agree, I do use one filter to get close to reality: more than one person has the issue and got it (albeit temporarily) fixed the same way. That said, the issue in is the Tesla knowledgebase, so hopefully the permanent SW fix won't be long. It's a non-issue that I cannot close the trunk from the screen, nor use the app to open or close it. I generally don't use it that way anyhow. The only mild PIA is I have to drive back up there and have them reconnect the connector they disconnected this morning.

😎
When this problem is resolved with a SW update, I hope Tesla makes it clear in the release notes so we'll all know when to bring our cars in to have the connector reconnected.

I got the same PCS_a022 issue after power trunk retrofit. Disconnected the CAN and issue mitigated.

Just leave comment here so that I can know when the software fix is deployed in future
When this problem is resolved with a SW update, I hope Tesla makes it clear in the release notes so we'll all know when to bring our cars in to have the connector reconnected.
I wouldn’t count on it. I intend to periodically ping my SA to ask.

😎
It's 5 mins job at most to disconnect or connect the canbus. I'm sure you can do it yourself if you see them do it once. I figured it out myself just looking at their manual. :cool:

I have the same problem, with the exact same symptoms and "fix"...

It took four visits to the SC to diagnose, and the final symptom was consuming close to 6% battery per day on "vehicle standby".

The fix for now is for them to disable the module that allows remote trunk opening / closing (what I guess you guys are calling the CANBUS disconnect).

That did the trick, and I can still open the trunk using the car controls, just not via the app.

They will apparently call me when there's a proper firmware fix but I'll also ping them periodically or perhaps ask them to remove the whole thing and refund the money - it's been nothing but disappointment and trouble.

Far from ideal but I'm just happy to have an empty error log, reliable HVAC and 0% phantom drain again!

Takes a pry tool and maybe 30 seconds total once it's popped up to disconnect the canbus. Just did it on mine last night, now no more issues with the unable to charge error but can charge without any issues but also causing the car to not sleep and Sentry Mode not work properly.
I just used my bare hand and pulled it open. lol. It's just a flexible piece of plastics that needs to be pulled from some loose clips.

How long does it take to get to the connector?

This is the panel to take off. I remember I did not even take it off completely, just enough to get to the wires and saves effort to align the panel later.

Started in late February with the same problem, I needed to be persistent because its a new "bug" ( yea I can say that because I am a software tester) although how many configurations would you have test the retro fit to make sure it works with all models, Looking forward to the patch, for now. I am messaging TESLA through the app and letting them know I have an Alert and I have no A/C, They send a "signal" to clear the alert. The rub for this is that the update comes over WIFI not in the preferred tesla network, so you would have to wait till you get home to get the "signal" to clear out the Alert.