Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power trunk retrofit is a scam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
to the moderator:
Please do not move to other post.

the car: 2020 M3LRAB
The mistake: buying the power trunk retrofit.

The story:
Bought it online, went to service center and they did a great job installing it. Opened the trunk for the first time and bamm! I hit my head to the latch. The trunk lid doesn't go as high up as the manual.

Here is before:
20240317_100111.jpg

And here is after:
20240322_171432.jpg

Fine. Let's deal with it.
First day of driving and bammm! HVAC stopped working. Took to SC and they fixed it in a very professional way.
Second they of driving and bamm! Hit by a bus? No. HVAC stopped working again. Took it to SC and they fixed it again. But! Well, here is the Note from the technician:
Attach0.jpg

I asked the SC to remove the retrofit and they did with no charge (thank you). But they couldn't refund me because they don't have access to online purchase and legally they had to give me the kit. So here it is:
20240330_100911.jpg

Now you tell me if this worth $800?
Couldn't connect to a person over the phone so I left an Email with a 7 days wait time to get a reply.

I missed 3 hours of work, short $800, no power trunk, and now the trunk lid is misaligned and clunks every time I open it and close it.

DO NOT BUY THE POWER TRUNK RETROFIT.

rant is over.
let's move on with life now.

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC and Adam3
Over the years, I've learned to never retrofit a car, any car, with devices not made by the original manufacturer. I've never had a problem myself (because I've never done it) but I know quite a few people who have lived to regret it.
Here in lies the biggest frustration for me and likely others this IS from Tesla … purchased thru Tesla app sold and installed by Tesla so by most ppls judgement falls under OEM. Issues described by OP are same seen by some of those who purchased from Tesla and had installed by Tesla at a Tesla SC
I am same as you I don’t much go for electrical after market parts on a newer car but I assumed this would not be a problem since sold and installed by Tesla the OEM … silly me
I do find it amusing (maybe amusing is too kind of a word) that SC is doing same as others are doing on here … disconnecting can bus losing some functionality in exchange for trunk retrofit no longer throwing errors / no longer preventing car sleeping etc

Last edited:
Got the same retrofit feeling reassured that it’s a “Tesla backed upgrade”
I would have accepted the lowered trunk lid height but I couldn’t deal with the fact that scheduled charging simply won’t work and that there’s a “firmware fix under investigation”. The techs told me this AFTER I got it installed and submitted a new service complaint. Unbelievable! They had me racking my brains to figure out what was wrong on my end (wall charger, adapter, app, cable) but it all is stemming from the power trunk retrofit and they are now acknowledging it!
Still waiting for a fix.

Got the same retrofit feeling reassured that it’s a “Tesla backed upgrade”
I would have accepted the lowered trunk lid height but I couldn’t deal with the fact that scheduled charging simply won’t work and that there’s a “firmware fix under investigation”. The techs told me this AFTER I got it installed and submitted a new service complaint. Unbelievable! They had me racking my brains to figure out what was wrong on my end (wall charger, adapter, app, cable) but it all is stemming from the power trunk retrofit and they are now acknowledging it!
Still waiting for a fix.
I had them remove mine