Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Trunk Retrofit on Model 3s now Available Direct from Tesla [09.14.2023 - 2018 model 3 not eligible]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bullshit they wouldn't even let me purchase the hardware to install myself.

Is there any TSB online that would show instructions on how to install the OEM retrofit? Like what a service technician would use while installing at the service center?
Or I just have to kinda wing it and figure out what plug goes where 🤔
I am assuming an online 3rd party instructions are way different 🤷

Last edited:
They don't do that because they don't want to provide support to people that they know it's not natively compatible. That's why they filter their accessories (for example the CCS).
Is there any TSB online that would show instructions on how to install the OEM retrofit? Like what a service technician would use while installing at the service center?
I am assuming an online 3rd party instructions are war different 🤷
Have you looked in the service manual? It's free.

Also the kit itself might have instructions.

I am assuming an online 3rd party instructions are war different

The Correction code for it is 10114863, and they say it takes 1.8 hours:

1709691278341.png

But I couldn't find the instructions.

Reactions: davidalindsey
Is anyone having issues with their car after getting the trunk retrofit?

I have a 2020 SR+ and the retrofit gave me issues with the HVAC and multiple alerts that kept my car awake. Some other person also had the same issues as me: Power trunk retrofit causing car awake

I did not have any issues after the install. It was my local service center’s first time doing the retrofit (if that makes a difference).

Thank you I just bought this kit from them, counter offered for $500
Now just a matter of it getting here and spending the time installing it.
I swear if I get this thing installed reconfigure with no hassle I feel like sending them a message back and saying by the way it does work.

Ahaaaa :D it was you. Also had this on my watchlist ^^
Can you make some nice and sharp pictures of the individual parts?

Also I am curious, if there is a retrofit manual in this box as I don't find infos inside the service manuals on service.tesla.com.

Reactions: davidalindsey
This is kind of disappointing.

This is how much the lid opens before:
View attachment 1030842

And this is how much the lid opens after:
View attachment 1030843

There is a big difference.
Also kind of dangerous considering the latch is right in your face when you stand behind the car!
Not worth $800
Use it for some time first. I think most people would feel the tradeoff is worth it, especially given the lower height makes it easier to reach the button.

Is anyone having issues with their car after getting the trunk retrofit?

I have a 2020 SR+ and the retrofit gave me issues with the HVAC and multiple alerts that kept my car awake. Some other person also had the same issues as me: Power trunk retrofit causing car awake
Yes.
This is the second time the retrofit breaks the left controller and causes problem with HVAC.
I feel like I live at the Tesla service center now because I'm there every week!

I am assuming an online 3rd party instructions are way different 🤷
Did you have any luck on installing the retrofit? I also own a 2018 M3 and interested to know if this is even possible, although too many hoops have to jump through to get this work, I'm going to hold out until it's officially support by Tesla(if it ever happens).

Did you have any luck on installing the retrofit? I also own a 2018 M3 and interested to know if this is even possible, although too many hoops have to jump through to get this work, I'm going to hold out until it's officially support by Tesla(if it ever happens).
Going to install it sometime next week I now know the reason why I Tesla does not sell it is because of the power for the struts they have a specific plug that came in after 2019 I guess as an accessory plug at the rear of the bumper and in 2018 does not have this plug harness.
I just bought one off of a part out for 20 bucks so I can plug the harness from the struts and going to have to hardwire it into the penthouse

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240325_182305_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240325_182305_Chrome.jpg
    742.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240401_135247.jpg
    20240401_135247.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 8