Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Trunk Retrofit on Model 3s now Available Direct from Tesla [09.14.2023 - 2018 model 3 not eligible]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s here!!! OEM retrofit available at SC in North America

==================================================

(moderator note)

Adding additional detail from the Tesla website:

==================================================

Model 3 Powered Liftgate Retrofit​

$800

Purchase in the Tesla App​

Open your smartphone's camera and scan the QR code below to access the Tesla app

If you can't scan the QR code, copy this link to a mobile browser: https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3-powered-liftgate-retrofit
Description
Open and close the rear liftgate of your Model 3 with the touch of a button. Retrofit your vehicle with electronic components that allow you to control your liftgate from the Tesla app, your vehicle's touchscreen or with a button on the liftgate itself.

Model 3 Rear Trunk Opening Manual

Note: Compatible with Model 3 vehicles produced prior to 2021 with a manual liftgate. Price includes shipment to your preferred Tesla Service Center and installation. For additional information about scheduling your Service appointment, visit Shop FAQ.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s here!!! OEM retrofit available at SC in North America

(moderator note)

I split this off from the previous retrofit discussion because I thought a lot of people might be interested to know this is now available from Tesla. I appreciate that you found and posted it in the existing thread, but thought it might warrant a separate thread for visibility.

===================================
(non moderation content, regular member post)

Thanks OP, I have been waiting for an official retrofit. I ordered one as well and was also able to schedule an appointment for installation. Im a sucker for OEM solutions for this kind of thing.

For anyone wondering cost, at least for me here in SoCal, it was $800 + 70 in taxes, purchased in the Tesla app.

Curious if this retrofit will limit the trunk opening height.

I am hoping that those who get it done provide some feedback on it. I am not worried about opening height since the model 3 isnt a hatchback, but I admit freely that I have missed having a powered trunk from my BMW days, and its exacerbated when I drive my wifes model Y with its nice powered trunk.

When I get mine done ill chime in if the opening height looks different.

• Helpful
Reactions: buckets0fun
Only seems to be available in US & Canada so far. Hoping it makes it over the water to the UK & Europe.

I've got an EVOffer automatic trunk & frunk but have been having problems with failing cinch motors on the latter. Given this would be warrantied, properly integrated with the car (aftermarket kits connect straight to 12v so you have a small parasitic drain), it defintely is tempting.

Only thing giving me pause for thought is that I have a foot sensor on mine which I use regularly. Would be a shame to lose that.

Exciting!

This is likely the same retrofit they’ve had in China for years. Any reviews on that around to talk about the height?

Similarly - I’m curious what the part list is for this - and where it taps in. I think the Hanshow ones tap into the center console - and I upgraded my v1 console to a v2 one and have a non standard adapter plug there now. I’m curious if this retro fit also goes there and if so what challenges they may have.

Reactions: Durzel
Exciting!

This is likely the same retrofit they’ve had in China for years. Any reviews on that around to talk about the height?

Similarly - I’m curious what the part list is for this - and where it taps in. I think the Hanshow ones tap into the center console - and I upgraded my v1 console to a v2 one and have a non standard adapter plug there now. I’m curious if this retro fit also goes there and if so what challenges they may have.
It might actually be different. The button they show in the picture is the same as what came on the factory cars, while the Chinese retrofit got a square button

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I've been wanting this for years! My local service center had availability to schedule the install as soon as next week but I'm a little leery on being one of the first when they might not be familiar with the procedure yet. Scheduled it for 3 weeks out. Hopefully they will have gotten a few under their belt by then.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I've been wanting this for years! My local service center had availability to schedule the install as soon as next week but I'm a little leery on being one of the first when they might not be familiar with the procedure yet. Scheduled it for 3 weeks out. Hopefully they will have gotten a few under their belt by then.

Its funny, I had that exact same thought myself (little leery of being one of the first), however my model 3P is about 5 years old now, hasnt been washed in months, and I am way over the "honeymoon" stage (lol) so I decided to take one of the first available.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Its funny, I had that exact same thought myself (little leery of being one of the first), however my model 3P is about 5 years old now, hasnt been washed in months, and I am way over the "honeymoon" stage (lol) so I decided to take one of the first available.

I learned my lesson a few years ago when a mobile tech came out to do my HW3 retrofit. First one he did in the field on his own, he later said. He was in my driveway for 6 hours with the car bricked because he couldn't figure out how to activate the new module. He was on the phone with Tesla for hours. Another mobile tech came by in between appointments and couldn't figure it out either. During the registration process, he had to connect to Tesla's servers to register the computer by entering the serial number. Turns out that it needed to have either blank spaces or leading zeros or something for the Tesla server to recognize it with the correct number of digits. I have no idea how he finally figured it out. He said he had not come across that issue doing the retrofit in the shop and apparently no one else had either since no one knew what to do.