Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink retrofit install failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried installing Homelink Module and followed all the steps correctly. The module is installed (That screw took forever but I installed it). But now when I go in the Service mode and click on the Homelink Retro fit, I get this authorization error:
Retrofit_small.jpg

Does anyone has any suggestions to go past this error? Looks like an authorization error so not sure if Tesla has locked something? Or maybe the module I got is bad? Not clear

You might want to look into the MYQ option. I had Homelink built into my Model 3 but when I got the Model Y if of course did not include Homelink. The retrofit seemed expensive so I looked into MyQ. It is included in the car and it has several advantages. First, it knows if the door is open or closed and will not close the door on the car by mistake, as Homelink does. Second, you can use the phone app to check the status of the door remotely, and you can open or close it from anywhere. The downside is that you may have to install a My Q adapter in your garage, it works on WIFI and it links to the app in the car and your phone. My adapter cost only $30 at Amazon and it took less than 30 minutes to install and configure it. For me, it is better than Homelink and much less expensive.

Tried installing Homelink Module and followed all the steps correctly. The module is installed (That screw took forever but I installed it). But now when I go in the Service mode and click on the Homelink Retro fit, I get this authorization error:View attachment 1015635

Does anyone has any suggestions to go past this error? Looks like an authorization error so not sure if Tesla has locked something? Or maybe the module I got is bad? Not clear
Assuming you followed all the steps to the letter, perhaps module is bad? I would try to get a replacement module. I did this with an ebay module without issue so it has worked.

Is it worth taking
You might want to look into the MYQ option. I had Homelink built into my Model 3 but when I got the Model Y if of course did not include Homelink. The retrofit seemed expensive so I looked into MyQ. It is included in the car and it has several advantages. First, it knows if the door is open or closed and will not close the door on the car by mistake, as Homelink does. Second, you can use the phone app to check the status of the door remotely, and you can open or close it from anywhere. The downside is that you may have to install a My Q adapter in your garage, it works on WIFI and it links to the app in the car and your phone. My adapter cost only $30 at Amazon and it took less than 30 minutes to install and configure it. For me, it is better than Homelink and much less expensive.
I already have MyQ but I am not interested in an monthly plan. So that's not an option for me.

Assuming you followed all the steps to the letter, perhaps module is bad? I would try to get a replacement module. I did this with an ebay module without issue so it has worked.
I will try to take it to the service center tomorrow and see if they can do something. Otherwise, I guess my best bet will be to return it. That bracket install was a pain.

yea, i think you forgot to mention the subscription cost to use it with the tesla

Try doing a software re-install first with the module connected, then do the homelink retrofit again. A bad module is always possible as well, rare as it may be. What's the part number on the one you got?
I am not following you: "try doing a software re-install first". Which software? Can you elaborate a little bit more? There was no software to install.
I connected the module and then entered the service menu and tried doing Homelink retrofit under low voltage menu icon. I get this error when I press the run button.

Last edited:
I am not following you: "try doing a software re-install first". Which software? Can you elaborate a little bit more? There was no software to install.
I connected the module and then entered the service mode and tried doing Homelink retrofit under low voltage menu icon. I get this error when I run.
In service mode you can do a full software re-install. I believe it's on the main screen as soon as you enter the menu. This sometimes helps when you install new modules. Not saying it will, but worth a shot to start from a clean slate.

Reactions: KevinT3141
I connected the module and then entered the service menu and tried doing Homelink retrofit under low voltage menu icon. I get this error when I press the run button.
Ok I got it. There is a software reinstall button in service menu. I did that and then tried retrofit again. Still no luck :( I am seeing a lot of msgs on the board with folks having issues with Homelink install after the recent software update. So it could be related. I will try to DM those folks and try to find out how they resolved it.

The error msg says: "Unauthorized configuration change". So not sure why its unauthorized.

Here is one thread where a newly installed Homelink did not work: Homelink Firmware Bug Confirmed By Tesla

Last edited:
I haven't done a HomeLink install, but am thinking about doing one.

In other HomeLink threads I've read that some installs did not work at first, but if you exit the car, close the doors, and re-enter, then the HomeLink icon pops up and everything works. Good luck!

Same here. I just go with "Hey Siri, open garage" as I get near home. Free, easy. Not really missing Homelink.
MyQ does not provide any integration with Siri unless you pay subscription. If I am incorrect, can you post the steps on how to integrate with Siri? I have MyQ for last 8 years and it worked very well with variety of integrations until it broke in November.

From the TESLA FAQ page:

Frequently Asked QuestionsShow

• Can I install HomeLink® hardware myself?
    No. HomeLink® installation must be done by a Tesla service technician. You can schedule a service appointment in the Tesla app.

In retrospect, yes. However, there were so many successful installs all over, It was just a plug n play, so I figured let try this. It sucks that I ran into this issue. I did everything the videos mentioned. I will try to take it out and do a reinstall this weekend to see if missed anything. What is there to miss anyway? You just have to plug the connector to the homelink module. There is not much to do from that prospective. All the work is related to the stupid bracket install which in theory should have nothing to do with the module configuration, etc.

Unless Tesla has now stopped allowing DIY Homelink retrofits and hence the authorization failure I am getting. Anyway, if all this does not work out I will return the module (I have 30 days) and then schedule a service call.