Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink / garage door opener issue at night!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been experiencing very odd issue with model S homelink system.

At night, homelink works intermittently and sometimes don’t work at all. I haven’t experienced this issue during the day!

Whenever it doesn’t work at night from the car, I use MyQ app from my phone which works just fine. So this means my garage door opener is probably ok. I have been scratching my head trying to figure this out.

I’ve had this issue for years and I’ve deduced it is indeed due to interference from LED lights as @krsgio stated. The streetlights in my neighborhood were converted to LED, but in never made the connection until scratching my head about why only at night. My son’s leaf has issues as well. I’ve found certain pockets that work (activate before I get to my actual driveway) a little better, but it’s still a seasonal annoyance for sure since daylight savings time ended.

Good to know. Thanks for the information. This explains why the MyQ app works when car doesn’t.

App sends a signal to the door opener remote over WiFi/cellular inside the garage which sends a signal to the door opener. So probably less or no interference.

Car sends the signal from outside/driveway to the door opener remote and due to the interference, signal may not be getting there.

I had this issue with LED light bulbs too.
Kind of a weird thing though. The garage door has worked fine since "day one" for 3 to 4 years now.
And my other cars Homelink systems work with the same opener with LED light bulbs.
Then one day, it won't shut anymore in my Mdl S.
I cycled the Auto-Close checkbox, as suggested somewhere else here on TMC, but that didn't work.
Then I thought about it more...it only does not work when closing th door. This is when the LED light are on in the garage door opener.
Sure enough, switched them back to incandescent, and now the door will close.

But this was at night or during the day.